Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #1
Jeminai

Default Meteoric Metal vs Magic

In a Dungeon Fantasy setting, is a person wearing a meteoric Great Helm immune to mind control spells?

Can a person with Danger Sense (limitation: Magical) sense and incoming meteoric arrow? Does a Deflect missile spell protect against meteoric arrows and sling stones? Does the arrow have to be completely made of meteoric metal or is the meteoric arrow head sufficient?

Can divination spells see the impending destruction of a world about to be hit by a meteor? Can a magical Danger Sense actually sense a meteor about to hit a character?

If I have a meteoric sword and I am being teleported, does my sword get left behind?

Please help me answer these questions and points go to those that come up with more clever examples. (I guess you can buy imaginary Kudos with those points... :)

Last edited by Jeminai; 11-19-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Jeminai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Meteoric Metal vs Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeminai View Post
In a Dungeon Fantasy setting, is a person wearing a meteoric Great Helm immune to mind control spells?
No. Meteoric gear cannot be affected by magic, but it does not block magic.
Quote:
Can a person with Danger Sense (limitation: Magical) sense and incoming meteoric arrow? Does a Deflect missile spell protect against meteoric arrows and sling stones? Does the arrow have to be completely made of meteoric metal or is the meteoric arrow head sufficient?
The interaction between meteoric and detection effects is unclear, but it's reasonable to say it will be invisible to magical detection. However, a non-meteoric shaft can be detected and affected normally by magic, and will generally take the arrow tip with it.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
PseudoFenton

Quote:
Nope, the helm is immune to magical levitation to remove it, but it doesn't produce an anti-magic field to prevent other magic working around it (such as mind control). Of cause the helm could be enchanted through other means (chi skills, divinity, cosmic-ness) to confer immunity to mind control separately whilst still being meteoric.

Quote:
Interesting question, I'd say if it was completely made of meteoric metal then it shouldn't be detected with Danger Sense - if its got non-meteoric parts I'd let it be detected normally though (or perhaps with a roll if the parts themselves are odd enough as so to fool the sense as to if its dangerous).

Quote:
Can divination spells see the impending destruction of a world about to be hit by a meteor? Can a magical Danger Sense actually sense a meteor about to hit a character?
No, to both. Which makes them quite good "we don't know how the world will end, but we know it will - now go find out how" prophecies.

Quote:
If I have a meteoric sword and I am being teleported, does my sword get left behind?
Yes it would be left behind, it can't be affected by magic - so it can't be teleported by it. Same goes for meteoric armour actually, which might be an interesting way of making someone more squishy!
Old 11-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoFenton View Post
No, to both. Which makes them quite good "we don't know how the world will end, but we know it will - now go find out how" prophecies.
Wouldn't this depend on the composition of the meteor? Only if it's 100% meteoric metal would it be totally undetectable...
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
PseudoFenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
Wouldn't this depend on the composition of the meteor? Only if it's 100% meteoric metal would it be totally undetectable...
This is fantasy. Dungeon fantasy. Why wouldn't a meteor be made of 100% meteoric metal???

Oh god! You're trying to kill the catfolk aren't you? You're 'Intolerance: Catfolk' has been upgraded into 'Fanaticism: Kill all Catfolk with science' hasn't it? You monster.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:02 PM   #6
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoFenton View Post
Oh god! You're trying to kill the catfolk aren't you? You're 'Intolerance: Catfolk' has been upgraded into 'Fanaticism: Kill all Catfolk with science' hasn't it? You monster.
I don't know where this came from, but I suspect the same place all genius does! You have me laughing (maniacally) with glee that I finally have a victim capable of understanding the subtlty of my plans! Now, if I can only turn you to the Cause...
Old 11-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #7
Anthony

Quote:
Who says meteoric rock isn't equally immune? It's just that magic-immune pebbles are generally less useful than magic-immune iron.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
Jeminai

Wouldn't all parts of a meteor be "meteoric"?
Old 11-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Who says meteoric rock isn't equally immune? It's just that magic-immune pebbles are generally less useful than magic-immune iron.
Who say it is? Meteoric rock isn't called out in DF (that I know of...?), but meteoric metal (iron?) is. So it seems to be a GM call.

Quote:
Wouldn't all parts of a meteor be "meteoric"?
"Meteoric" doesn't carry any special properties all on its own, as far as I know, in DF. Meteoric iron, though, is specifically called out as being immune to magic.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
Anthony

Quote:
Who say it is?
It's a GM call and the sort of thing that generally won't come up in setting, since stony meteorites basically look like rocks and are unlikely to be recognized for what they are until higher TL.

Tags
dungeon fantasy, meteoric iron