Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-25-2021, 12:09 PM   #11
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Emergencies Only Competence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Emergencies Only is a -30% limitation, it should actually meaningfully limit the PC.
The idea that only action scenes can be meaningful to PCs is not one I subscribe to, and I don't think the Basic Set endorses it either.

Consider Absent-Mindedness. A 15 point disadvantage that largely kicks in only when you're bored.
Old 03-25-2021, 12:36 PM   #12
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
The idea that only action scenes can be meaningful to PCs is not one I subscribe to, and I don't think the Basic Set endorses it either.
And it wasn't what I was claiming. My point is that any definition which winds up being "only competent when it's important to be competent" isn't worth much; there have to be situation that would actually be resolved in game where the lack of skill mattered.
Old 03-25-2021, 12:48 PM   #13
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
And it wasn't what I was claiming. My point is that any definition which winds up being "only competent when it's important to be competent" isn't worth much; there have to be situation that would actually be resolved in game where the lack of skill mattered.
Ah. I guess if you interpret the OP's statement that the problem doesn't apply "when it really counted" as meaning "anytime this applies, it doesn't really count" that makes sense as a criticism.

I was going more by the examples which ran neatly to 'only effective under high-pressure conditions', which is exactly what Emergencies Only does.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:24 PM   #14
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Ah. I guess if you interpret the OP's statement that the problem doesn't apply "when it really counted" as meaning "anytime this applies, it doesn't really count" that makes sense as a criticism.
I find Emergencies Only such a slippery concept that the only time a player wanted it, I warned them it would be interpreted harshly, and they used a different limitation. My guideline would be something like "When the players feel the characters definitely can't handle the situation."
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 01:31 PM   #15
Anthony

Quote:

I was going more by the examples which ran neatly to 'only effective under high-pressure conditions', which is exactly what Emergencies Only does.
I wouldn't allow a definition of 'emergency' that's anywhere near that broad if you want -30%. Maybe if you want -5%. For example, you're not even going to roll driving unless it's a high pressure situation.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:38 PM   #16
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Would Laziness work? It seems to have similar effects.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 01:54 PM   #17
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I find Emergencies Only such a slippery concept that the only time a player wanted it, I warned them it would be interpreted harshly, and they used a different limitation. My guideline would be something like "When the players feel the characters definitely can't handle the situation."
Good thing you warned them. That's more narrow than I'd expect. Personally, I think emergency would be when there is 'danger to life or limb' and/or 'immediate risk of critical mission failure'.
Donny Brook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 02:04 PM   #18
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
I wouldn't allow a definition of 'emergency' that's anywhere near that broad if you want -30%. Maybe if you want -5%. For example, you're not even going to roll driving unless it's a high pressure situation.
In characters, other examples of -30% limitations are No Blunt Trauma + No Knockback and Accessibility: Only While Flying. I don't think the RAW is as stingy with those discounts as you are, at least on any kind of consistent basis.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:48 PM   #19
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Good thing you warned them. That's more narrow than I'd expect.
I intended to put them off the idea.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 06:39 AM   #20
Varyon

This kind of sounds like some form of Higher Purpose, honestly - your character normally doesn't have very high skill, but when the Higher Purpose kicks in, they get a sizable bonus that turns them from Zero to Hero. It may be a bit too broad, however.

Tags
emergencies only, limitations