Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
nerdvana

Default Applying Limiters to Leveled Advantages

I am having trouble finding a rule on this, and I'll admit right up that I'm likely missing something as I am both tired (early workday start today) and sick, but I'm frustrated so I'm going to ask...

When building a trait for a power with a leveled ability (like Extra Fatigue for an energy reserve) and applying modifiers to it, do you apply the modifiers to the total cost or to the per level cost?

This is a fifty point energy reserve...

Limitations are to be: One Power Only, -50% & Special Recharge, -70%

The -80% cap is in place naturally. -80% on a per level is 1 per level or 50 points... -80% on the total of 150 is 30. I'm fine with either value (although I think the second is the better option), just curious on how to do this in the RAW
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Applying Limiters to Leveled Advantages

It is [(cost/level * level) * modifiers] in other words in this case

[(3 * 50) * ( 1 - 0.8)] = [30]

Basically 'base cost' in determined before modifiers are applied, Rounding is the last step.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
I am having trouble finding a rule on this, and I'll admit right up that I'm likely missing something as I am both tired (early workday start today) and sick, but I'm frustrated so I'm going to ask...

When building a trait for a power with a leveled ability (like Extra Fatigue for an energy reserve) and applying modifiers to it, do you apply the modifiers to the total cost or to the per level cost?

The -80% cap is in place naturally. -80% on a per level is 1 per level or 50 points... -80% on the total of 150 is 30. I'm fine with either value (although I think the second is the better option), just curious on how to do this in the RAW
You don't round up until you're done buying it, so the way you've phrased it, you do it on the whole cost.

ER bought at -80%, so .6 per level

Levels Cost
1 1 (0.6 rounded up)
2 2 (1.2 rounded up)
3 2 (1.8 rounded up)
4 3 (2.4 rounded up)
5 3 (3.0 on the dot)
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post

You can do it either way, though you generally lose less points from rounding off if you do it on the whole thing.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #5
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
You don't round up until you're done buying it, so the way you've phrased it, you do it on the whole cost.

ER bought at -80%, so .6 per level

Levels Cost
1 1 (0.6 rounded up)
2 2 (1.2 rounded up)
3 2 (1.8 rounded up)
4 3 (2.4 rounded up)
5 3 (3.0 on the dot)
This is the way to do it, and is important if a player decides to upgrade his trait during the campaign.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:28 PM   #6
BaHalus

I don't remember if this is in the book or in the FAQ, but I know that the rule is to apply on full cost, not level cost. And I think it makes a lot of sense. The rounding up thing, as I see it, is more for maths convenience than for any balance reason.
BaHalus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantages, limitations, q&a