Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-17-2022, 09:32 AM   #1
Michael Thayne

Default Does Scanning Sense still provide an active sense when "off"?

Pretty straightforward question that I surprisingly can't find a clear answer to—if you have Radar, can you detect other people's radar when your Radar is turned off? Does Sonar act as Ultrahearing when turned off? Or would you need to buy those abilities separately?
Old 05-17-2022, 10:04 AM   #2
Michael Thayne

Default Re: Does Scanning Sense still provide an active sense when "off"?

Bleh, the title was supposed to be "Does Scanning Sense still provide a passive sense when 'off'"?
Old 05-17-2022, 10:05 AM   #3
Anthony

Realistically, scanning senses are only designed to be sensitive to pretty narrow frequency ranges (at any one time) to avoid interference from other sources, but can certainly turn receiver and emitter on and off separately. As far as RAW goes it looks like you're supposed to turn everything on and off at once, but I'd certainly allow mixing things.
Old 05-17-2022, 10:27 AM   #4
Aldric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
Bleh, the title was supposed to be "Does Scanning Sense still provide a passive sense when 'off'"?
By default it seems the answer to your question is no.
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 10:54 AM   #5
Dalillama

Ultrahearing most definitely has to be purchased separately. Knowing when someone else pings you using the particular frequency (sound, light, or otherwise) is a thornier question; as a GM I would probably let someone make a perception check for that.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:13 AM   #6
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Realistically, scanning senses are only designed to be sensitive to pretty narrow frequency ranges (at any one time) to avoid interference from other sources, but can certainly turn receiver and emitter on and off separately. As far as RAW goes it looks like you're supposed to turn everything on and off at once, but I'd certainly allow mixing things.
Ah, this makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
Old 05-17-2022, 11:47 AM   #7
whswhs

Quote:
I think it may depend on the scanning sense. Sonar probably will send out a pulse that can be heard by anyone in the relevant space. Lidar probably will be detectable only if you're sitting right on the targeted object.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:52 AM   #8
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I think it may depend on the scanning sense. Sonar probably will send out a pulse that can be heard by anyone in the relevant space. Lidar probably will be detectable only if you're sitting right on the targeted object.
I meant wavelength, not angle.
Old 05-17-2022, 03:19 PM   #9
Prince Charon

Quote:
Depending on the GM (or the setting switches), it might be an optional +0% enhancement, or a slightly more expensive one, or it might be the standard for the setting and not having the passive sense available when the active scanning is off is a limitation.

E.g. military SONAR specifically has the receivers on all the time AFAIK, even when they're sending out no pings, or <Sean Connery voice>'one ping only'</Sean Connery voice>.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 05-17-2022 at 03:48 PM.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 03:48 PM   #10
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Military SONAR specifically has the receivers on all the time AFAIK, even when they're sending out no pings, or <Sean Connery voice>'one ping only'</Sean Connery voice>.
Well, the real thing is that a sonar detector is basically free on the scale of a submarine, so there's no real reason not to have both systems, but ultrahearing is not discounted for having sonar.