Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-14-2018, 11:55 PM   #51
Skarg

Default Re: Which is hosed in TFT? Wizard or Hero?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
The problem is that the divide bakes in a very particular (and peculiar) world--one in which wizards can easily learn all kinds of magic, but tying knots is just somehow harder for them than it is for big dumb fighters.

However, if TFT were to offer equal opportunity costs, then everyone gets what they want. You don't want your wizard to have a lot of mundane talents? Just don't take them! But anyone who wants to have a sword-master wizard will be able to do so without paying through the nose any more than they would for a similarly diverse yet wholly mundane swordmaster.
I would much sooner let wizards learn talents at normal rate, than let everyone learn and cast spells as easily as wizards. I'm not sure there are really any exploits, as wizards tend to put so many points in IQ, and even normal-cost talents mean fewer spells known.

My main concern is the reverse - not wanting a world where knowing spells is extremely common, or a game where the PC fighters all have a spell or several and it wasn't much of an investment.

Of course (as Rick keeps pointing out) Wizards don't have many disadvantages compared to fighters, so removing one of the few might seem yet another reason for every player to prefer to play a wizard.

And if wizards could learn talents normally, why wouldn't a player say they're officially a wizard, but then take warrior attributes & talents, and then have whatever spells they want for 1 memory point an no DX penalty to cast?
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:30 AM   #52
JLV

Default Re: Should all spells be equally easy to learn?

All things considered, I have to agree. I prefer the Wizards and Warriors to be differentiated in this way. It makes playing them different, and that's kind of important in my opinion; if all the characters are the same and function the exact same way, what's the point?

Mind you, that's the way I feel about it, and your personal mileage may vary quite a bit. The good news is that if you DO feel differently, you can just house rule it that everyone pays the same for both Spells and Talents and voila! Your work here is done!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:34 AM   #53
Rick_Smith

Default Make heroes and wiz the same -- Or just a bit more equal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
... I prefer the Wizards and Warriors to be differentiated in this way. It makes playing them different, and that's kind of important in my opinion; ...
Hi JLV, everyone.
As my post a while ago shows, heroes are hosed up and down the line. All the perks go to the wizards. Including the huge new one, experience can be spent to give the wizard extra fatigue in his or her staff. (Thus heroes stop improving at 40 attributes, but wizards keep getting better.)

However, I wouldn't mind some differences between heroes and wizards IF the heroes occasionally were thrown a bone. I think the following are important.

-- The -4 DX for a hero casting spells. If I pay triple memory to learn a spell, it is adding insult to injury to give this penalty as well.

-- Talents take multiple memory to learn, spells take 1 or few points. Wizards can fit 7 hex Fire, 3 hex Fire and 1 hex Fire into a single memory slot. But a hero who takes Naturalist and Expert Naturalist must use 5 slots. This should be 2. (Or zero. I didn't mind the earlier way of doing things where you could learn as many talents as you like, anywhere near as much as I dislike the current system where half of everything an IQ 10 guy can ever learn is spent on Expert Naturalist.)

-- Tough to learn talents cost x2 or x3 memory to learn. But tough to learn spells always cost x1. (The basis of this thread.) In my campaign, a number of spells I don't much like cost extra memory to learn and it works well enough to help discourage them. (And if a player pays the penalty, I feel that they have earned it.)

To summarize, currently all the nasty is served up to the Heroes. I am not asking that everything is made the same for both. I would like if a few things (listed above) are made easier for Heroes, ESPECIALLY reduced memory slots for talents.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:26 AM   #54
JLV

Default Re: Should all spells be equally easy to learn?

I'd just as soon do away with that whole "memory slots" nonsense.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ease to learn, memory, problematic spell, spells, talents