Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 12-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #11
thorr-kan

Default Re: Is Eli an outlaw?

When Elis are outlawed, only outlaws will have Elis! (There. Got that out of my system.)

For myself, I think...

In a Bright campaign, Eli could just be wandering the world, serving his Word. And Dominic would be fine with that, if Eli would just show up and *explain himself.* Eli's trial would exonerate him, and Dominic would pronounce him not guilty and drop all charges. Heaven's a Team, after all.

In a Dark campaign, Eli's a howling madman and derelict in his duty. Not that matters, because Dominic has already passed sentence. A trial would just be so he could pronounce Eli guilty and execute the heretic, already. Heaven's a Team, after all, and anybody who threatens that Team needs to be removed.
thorr-kan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #12
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth View Post
Would he be able to find Eli, in his own Cathedral, without significant work and attention? (Eli's Cathedral, at least in my games, is not what you would call orderly and laid out in a logical manner. It is, rather, a great sprawling thing with a zillion rooms and side-doors and banisters and stairs and ladders and somewhere among all of them is Eli's Door, which has been known to sidle around from time to time. Even then, there's Under Eli's Bed.

I mean, that's my take on it -- but I would tend to think that an Archangel on his home turf, not wanting to be found, could be a wee bit difficult to ferret out. Not impossible, especially for another Archangel, but... difficult. Time-consuming.
Since Judgment Seraphs are super-Seraps, and Dominic is Super-Judgment-Seraph, would he be able to see past all that distraction to the Truth of whether Eli was in the vicinity? Or would that require Litheroy's aid?

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #13
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Since Judgment Seraphs are super-Seraps, and Dominic is Super-Judgment-Seraph, would he be able to see past all that distraction to the Truth of whether Eli was in the vicinity? Or would that require Litheroy's aid?
I picture Ray Bradbury's house. or the Winchester in San Jose, or something similarly a-maze-ing. Dom would know that Eli was near, but getting from Here to Near without getting utterly lost is another matter entirely.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
PenitentDemon

Ok well yes thats all well and good... but think that an accusation of "Invading" another archangels cathedral would be something hed be worried about.

Still think Dominic would be interested in ANY case of Eli outcasting anyone... considering how easy going he is its either proof of an EXTREME crime, which Dominic would then want to keep track of, or possibly an injustice from Elis increasing psychological instability, and thus proof to be taken in front of the Seraphim council.
PenitentDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #15
Rocket Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenitentDemon View Post

Still think Dominic would be interested in ANY case of Eli outcasting anyone... considering how easy going he is its either proof of an EXTREME crime, which Dominic would then want to keep track of, or possibly an injustice from Elis increasing psychological instability, and thus proof to be taken in front of the Seraphim council.
Remember that it is possible for an angel to Outcast themselves by their own dissonance, too. Of course, untangling how much of that dissonance was due to lack of supervision by a responsible Archangel ... is pretty much part of Judgment's job description, anyway. :)

Old 12-20-2013, 11:38 AM   #16
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
I picture Ray Bradbury's house. or the Winchester in San Jose, or something similarly a-maze-ing. Dom would know that Eli was near, but getting from Here to Near without getting utterly lost is another matter entirely.
It could be like that warped dimensional maze-house that the Goblin King (David Bowie) had in Labyrinth....
Old 12-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #17
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Remember that it is possible for an angel to Outcast themselves by their own dissonance, too. Of course, untangling how much of that dissonance was due to lack of supervision by a responsible Archangel ... is pretty much part of Judgment's job description, anyway. :)
Outcast means your heart is cracked... what if the angel (or someone else) destroys the angel's heart? Renegade Angel?
Old 12-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #18
cptbutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
Outcast means your heart is cracked... what if the angel (or someone else) destroys the angel's heart? Renegade Angel?
"If you or any of your Infernal Missions Force is caught or Traumatized, the Archangel will disavow any knowledge of your actions."
cptbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #19
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

In 1453 a crack celestial team was Outcast by Judgment for a crime they didn't commit. These angels promptly escaped from Heaven to the Corporeal Realm. Today, still wanted by Dominic, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the Angel-Team.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:03 AM   #20
Rocket Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
In 1453 a crack celestial team was Outcast by Judgment for a crime they didn't commit. These angels promptly escaped from Heaven to the Corporeal Realm. Today, still wanted by Dominic, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the Angel-Team.
I love it!

This started a friend and I discussing the Choirs and former Superiors of an Outcast A-Team. Our conclusions:

Hannibal: Elohite of War. (Completely unflappable, given to unorthodox plans that always work, very good at reading an opponent)
Howlin' Mad Murdoch: Ofanite of Destiny who may or may not be suffering Ethereal damage. (Frenetic, brilliant pilot, with a surprising amount of knowledge in a wide array of fields, multilingual.)
Face: Almost certainly a Mercurian, though it was debated whether he belonged with Trade or the Wind. Given his impressive ability to appraise just about anything, and the fact that he usually negotiates the group's fee, we went with Trade. (Seraph of the Wind was an ironic second choice, due to the Servitor Attunement.)
B.A.: Malakite of Lightning (impressive combat AND mechanical abilities), with a Corporeal Artifact van that he's very protective of. One of his Oaths is clearly "Never fly on an airplane if it's my own choice."

Tags
eli