Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 11-10-2010, 08:24 AM   #11
tbug

Default Re: Fledgelings of Creation

I'm loving all the help. Thanks so much, everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
If I'm reading my Eli book right (sidebar page 19) he has in fact been sneaking in to "the Halls" to stabilize tethers now and again.

There's nothing specific to relievers there, but between that and the section on Redeemed I'd gamble that Eli delegates as much as possible, but he'll sneak in or come where his servitors call to do what only he can do.
Okay, having reread that I think you're right; he's willing to occasionally sneak back into Heaven. Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
There's the rub, methinks. 'You may be qualified to win a brand new car!' Sure you are.

'Qualified' does not mean 'given'.

It is fully in keeping with Eli's flakiness to fledge a pair of relievers and totally forget to give them Hearts!
Absolutely! That's why my OP asked if they had Hearts or not.

Quote:
Or make their Heart a closet in Los Angles Airport which automatically gives them a new vessel whenever they go to it.
Huh. I have a player who saw the title Fall of the Malakim and wants to play it, but so far I've been avoiding LA. Wouldn't that be a ridiculously dangerous place for an angel to reappear? Of course, this would reinforce the fact that Eli's nuts...

Quote:
Or maybe if they 'die' they go to whereever Eli's at so he can 'tut tut' them in person.
That's funny story-wise, but it sort of amounts to a free Invocation just for dying. I want Eli to be more mysterious than that IMC.

Quote:
The only reference I can recall in the books is in LS, where he picked up a Bright Lilim and dropped her off at Novalis' tether. No mention was made of Hearts, so one assumes someone else provided one (Maybe a very Senior Servitor ala Gabriel's guy? An Angel with the Word of Hearts? A Grigori with the Word of Hearts? Heck, this is starting to sound like a good adventure WITHOUT the Hearts...)

IIRC, if another Servitor provides you a Heart, you are not necessarily his Servitor, but you are stuck with his Dissoannce conditions...
Gabriel's guy provides Hearts? I'd missed that. Is that in the Superiors book? I'll check that out when I get home. I could see that, then. Maybe there's a poor exasperated Elohite out there who has taken on the responsibility of making Hearts for any Eliites who need them, but has no good way of tracking such people down, particularly since he's continually having to move in order to escape the notice of the Inquisition.

Do we know what's on the Celestial plane outside of Heaven and Hell?

Quote:
Eli didn't tell them. Why not leave it undefined? Let THEM make the Leap of Faith! And I'm sorry to say that the field is wide open re Eli. He will do as he wilt, but be cool about it.
Oh, they definitely don't know, but they're going into dangerous territory soon and I expect they're going to find out sufficiently soon that I should have it prepped asap. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAlillama View Post
Of course! The answer is that Eli carries their Hearts around with him. Celestial Artifacts can have Corporeal forms after all, and Hearts can be thought of as a highly specialized version. Their Hearts are bound into the diamond studs in Eli's earrings, or glass charms on his necklace.
Okay, what if he just made them Hearts and then dropped them off at the house they're using as a base of operations? What happens to a Heart on the Corporeal plane? Can someone be in trauma on the Corporeal? Do they suddenly have to move these Hearts to someplace on the Celestial (or Ethereal) before their next vessel death?
Old 11-10-2010, 11:17 AM   #12
JCD

No. I don't believe Soldekai (Gabby's Senschal) makes Hearts. But he pretty much does everything else. Since Creation is, after all, Creation, would they have an Eliite who makes Hearts since Eli went walkabout? Up to you.

Like I said, any wacky idiotic, thing you want to do re Eli is perfectly appropriate.

If you get an adventure itch, here's some nuggests.

1. Finding the mythical Song of Heart Creation

2. Finding the Creationist who can make Hearts (as they wander around in Perils of Penelope fashion on Earth looking to make contact with other Eliites.

3. Finding Eli. Good luck with that...Invocations no workee. He forgot to tell them the ritual for that (Actually, you make up your own, but they don't know that...)

4. Getting to Heaven and addressing someone! (And take an enormous policital hit with your fellow Eliites.

5. Make that leap of faith. (The closet is big enough...really...)
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #13
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbug View Post
Okay, what if he just made them Hearts and then dropped them off at the house they're using as a base of operations? What happens to a Heart on the Corporeal plane? Can someone be in trauma on the Corporeal? Do they suddenly have to move these Hearts to someplace on the Celestial (or Ethereal) before their next vessel death?
I'm sort of curious about this too, since my character is in a similar predicament.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #14
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

If I understand the canon correctly, Hearts are a celestial creation that must remain on the celestial plane, though they can be linked to a corporeal artifact (see Liber Reliquarium's section on False Hearts for an example). But I'm away from my books at the moment, so I won't be able to confirm this with specific citations until I get home for the night.

Of course, as always, the GM can overrule mere canon for his/her own campaign. And Eli is Eli; if there's an unusual way to do something, you can bet he's found it.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:35 PM   #15
tbug

Okay, I'm going with your idea that there's some poor put-upon Eliite wandering around taking care of this. Thanks. :)
Old 11-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #16
tbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
If I understand the canon correctly, Hearts are a celestial creation that must remain on the celestial plane, though they can be linked to a corporeal artifact (see Liber Reliquarium's section on False Hearts for an example).
Fair enough. I'll go with that.

So the Celestial plane is big, right? In theory there's a place to stash newly-made Hearts?

Could an angel's Heart exist in Hell?
Old 11-10-2010, 01:33 PM   #17
thorr-kan

Didn't the writeup on Dominic in Sup1 say Dom was investigating Eli's possible ability to create Hearts on the Corporeal?
thorr-kan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #18
tbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
Didn't the writeup on Dominic in Sup1 say Dom was investigating Eli's possible ability to create Hearts on the Corporeal?
Ooh! That's worth checking! Thanks!
Old 11-21-2010, 11:13 PM   #19
PenitentDemon

Curious... does it say somewhere, that a celestial spirit needs his Superior to "fledge him" to become a full demon or angel

Am Running a game with a Reliever of Destiny right now. so wondering.
PenitentDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:59 AM   #20
Andygal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenitentDemon View Post
Curious... does it say somewhere, that a celestial spirit needs his Superior to "fledge him" to become a full demon or angel

Am Running a game with a Reliever of Destiny right now. so wondering.
As far as I know, they will fledge when they reach the appropriate number of Forces, whether they got the last Force directly from a Superior or on their own.

So no, they don't need a Superior's direct intervention to fledge, although I suspect most Superiors like to give them that last Force in person,so can give them a Heart immediately, as well as the appropriate Attunement if they don't already have it. And I suspect also, in most cases, if they don't have some urgent reason to be wandering around on Earth, they get kept at home, or possibly at a Tether for Choir/Band specific training for a while (how long depends on the Choir/Band and the Superior of course). Of course, with PCs you can assume that whatever they're doing at the moment is urgent according to their Superior, and let them finish the current adventure, and then skip ahead a few months and assume they were in training during that time.

Tags
eli, hearts