Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 12-21-2005, 10:07 PM   #1
William

Default Eli and Jade

I'd forgotten that I had this idea. And since I don't currently have access to my Penn State email account over the holidays, the forum watchers are the lucky ones to get it! (Any forum administrators are welcome to crosspost this to the INML should they feel motivated to do so. Or not, I can in a couple of weeks.)

Jade is one of the sample Servitors in the Eli writeup just out. Part of her backstory is that she's just gotten out of an unusually long Trauma. She's back on Earth and has taken the role name "Jade Renfrew."

So much for canon, here's where the plotting starts.

Jade latched on to her Role name during a round of catch-up training on modern modes of human creativity. It's the familial name (albeit slightly misspelled, hardly unusual given her unfamiliarity with English) of a character called Eli in an American bluegrass song. Not a very sympathetic character, mind you. . .

Eli Renfro killed his wife
with a long sharp bowie knife.
He cut her up and put her in the ground.
Death by hangin’ was to be his fate
and ole Eli filled with hate
said he’d put a curse on the entire town.

The circumstances under which Jade entered Trauma are none too clear; she claims the details are a bit fuzzy, and angelic Resonances come up hazy themselves. Whatever the experience was, it was obviously a powerful shock. Still, she seems to have shaken it off and is positively eager for Earth duty again. And she took the news of Eli's disappearance with remarkable equanimity. In fact, she's started her own personal investigation. Individually, none of these facts are unusual, nor is her quiet demeanor uncharacteristic for someone steeped in Asian culture from hundreds of years ago.

However, her investigations are aimed at learning the consequences of Eli's visits in areas where he was reported, and occasionally she takes a hand in altering whatever events were left behind; she seems less interested in predicting Eli's future whereabouts. In fact, though she's very good at hiding it, she might be flinching when the subject comes up. Though if his name brings up bad memories (a worrisome topic itself if true), why does she play that song whenever other angels are around? Come to think of it, is that Resonance haze over the events leading up to her Trauma injury-induced or Superior fuzz? Could Eli have been the one that sent her there? If so, was Jade being punished justly or was Eli acting strangely back then? Could Jade have stumbled across something that might give insight into a plan of Eli's, something he didn't want being broadcast? Might putting her into extended Trauma have been the only way of ensuring some information's safety?

Lots of questions. If you want to help out Jade with her investigations, you might be able to capture a lead on them and help her help out Eli's long-term plan -- or you might be screwing Eli over either in uninformed earnest or as dupes of a traitor who narrowly escaped death. Either way, you could very well get a hint on the big question they all surround. Just what is Eli doing on Earth?

Can’t you hear, can’t you hear
When the moon is bright and clear
From time to time
It’s old Eli draggin’ chains
And moanin’ peoples names
I just hope and pray he never thinks of mine
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 02:33 PM   #2
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Default Re: Eli and Jade

heeheehee.

One should note that Jade is only at 2 Ethereal Forces -- and I doubt most Elohim like to be that, well, slow of thought. If you use this plot seed, then maybe it wasn't coincidence in celestial combat that tore off that EthForce? *evil grin*

I need to point Genevieve at this post, clearly.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:18 PM   #3
Maya

Default Re: Eli and Jade

Nice! Definitely intriguing. Glad to have sparked a connection or two.

Genevieve
(author of Eli)
Maya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eli