Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 04-14-2021, 03:04 PM   #1
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Campaign Prospectus

I'm looking at running a new play by post game, and I thought I'd check the water to see what the players think before picking one.

The Elemental Gauntlet: A Speed Dungeon for DF inspired by tactical looting. It features obstacles, finding "keys" to open up the next stage, and combat. The Delvers will be somewhat experienced (+25-75 points, not sure yet) and have some loot beyond a starting delver. The game will start essentially in the dungeon and won't last long beyond leaving it.

Infinite Ruins: A top secret time travel project was mothballed for years over fears of destroying the present, but when nuclear war breaks out, authorization is given flip the switch. They will find themselves going sideways through time, finding worlds that have met various ends, trying to save some scrap of humanity. The players will be the team that go to the other worlds first. They will be seeking Food, Equipments, Technology, and Good People, as they seek to build up their base and build a future for humanity and their bunker. They will face environmental dangers, hostile combatants, and social dilemmas. Characters will be at about 250 points. The game draws from action, after the end, and infinite worlds.

Corco's Villa: Heroic figures from across the multiverse are gathered in a cross-timeline villa and sent on missions to save worlds from destruction, alter the fate of empires, and slay power evil. Characters are built with mythological, fantastic, pulp, sci-fi origins (but not supers). They will need to be able to fight through hordes of minions, operate covertly in foreign realms, and navigate mysteries and dilemnas. The characters are built on 200 - 300 points plus a power set whose point value won't be considered (having a minor power set or no power set will give back 20 to 50 points or so). Magic will be done as powers, or possibly as technology, and should have a fairly strong foucs. Character backgrounds I've prepared for include jedi, vampires, shapeshifting dragons, Mages with two or three areas of specialty, hotspot pilots, Robots, Cyberpunk Detectives, and Holy Warriors. The game is inspired by ISWAT.

If you're interested in seeing one or more of these games in play by post, please let me know. I'd like the new game to be one that people are especially excited to play!

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:06 AM   #2
petrovski

Default Re: Campaign Prospectus

Hi there,

I'm certainly interested in gaming - and actually all three sound pretty cool. Though I'll go through my general considerations for which I would like to play in order of desirability (from my perspective).

3) The Elemental Gauntlet:

As much as I love combat in GURPS and have yet to really explore DF in a deep way I think the 'one-shot' crawly nature of it leaves some of the more RP aspects to be desired. I don't doubt that awesome situations and RP could exist here but I think the facility for 'character arc progression' is limited. It seems to me like a 'multiple situation combat simulator' in effect - and that is awesome for playing with different builds or at the granularity one doesn't often see in PbP. I would certainly play, and definitely enjoy, just when compared to the other two I think it's the least.

2) Corco's Villa:

Well, again what's not to like about this? You could arguably be anything you can dream up in terms of character. One can also feasibly end up in almost any situation in any environment on a mission. This feels like the Elemental Gauntlet with just more options available. The 'mission' objective also feels like there could be more of a nuanced RP experience than speed-dungeoning through a level of sorts. Again, would be happy to play this.

3) Infinite Realms:

I think, while the scope of this game feels quite simlar to Corco's Villa, I think the options are reigned in a little - as cool as it might be to play a Jedi and a Dragon and Vampire in a party - the slightly more streamlined world kind of gives a stronger sense of 'the known universe'. Coupled with the fact that I get a very (not)X-Com vibe from it, I think it takes the winning spot for me. Having said all that, I think every setting is quite cool and would be fun to play. If you want to focus on fantasy and less guns/tanks/etc, then better for the Elemental Gauntlet. IF you want something more modern then Infinite Ruins. If the idea of "go for broke" and having people play with whatever idea they can muster, in a blend of sci-fi/fantasy/etc. then I think Corco's Villa is the best.

I hope this helps
petrovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:37 AM   #3
Someone404

In order of these, I'd say I like the second one most, third second, and first least.
Someone404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:05 AM   #4
Kalzazz

I'd probably go for the first because DF is what I have greatest hope of not failing chargen at
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:33 PM   #5
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Infinite Ruins
Corco's Villa
These two are about even for me.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:11 PM   #6
the_matrix_walker

All these options sound like they could be a good time, but I'd have to say my preference runs inverse to their presentation. In other words, these options just got better as I read through them!

The Elemental Gauntlet: I've been itching to play a DF cinematic archer!

Infinite Ruins: Depending on how cinematic you shoot for, I'm thinking this might be a god game for a gadgeteer/face-man...

Corco's Villa: Not Supers? But that's my fave! lol. This kind of reminds me of Godslayers... I miss Ward, he was awesome! A Jedi or a shapeshifting dragon sounds pretty amazing to take for a spin!

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 04-17-2021 at 09:52 AM.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:19 AM   #7
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Ok, It looks like Corco's Villa is coming out on top.

It will take me a little bit to get the Introduction and Character Build Rules up: I want to get the build rules right for this. I will be putting them in a new thread.

Go ahead and start thinking about your character builds. We will be using 300 points, plus the power/racial/technology package. If you want to, post the ideas here and I can give early feedback.

Kalzazz, I wish you luck with character generation. I hope that its not too tricky for you. If you need help, I'm sure someone could give assistance.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 04-19-2021, 12:31 PM   #8
petrovski

Alright, i'll get going.
petrovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 02:53 PM   #9
the_matrix_walker

If we are using a template for a non-human (dragon or vampire-type) character, that may confuse the separation of points a bit. Can we get an idea of the "power points" where that is probably coming from?
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 03:30 PM   #10
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
If we are using a template for a non-human (dragon or vampire-type) character, that may confuse the separation of points a bit. Can we get an idea of the "power points" where that is probably coming from?

The other thread has details...

But generally your racial package is part of your power set, except for non-ST attribute changes and talents. So if you're a vampire, you get your super high ST, your resistance to damage, and your mind control tricks as powers, and extra attack could very well be included there as well, but your high DX is part of the base 300 points. Racial disadvantages are included as part of the power package as well.

Note that neither the dragon template nor vampire template from characters are particularly on the edge of what the power pool will give you. My dragon example is usually a shapeshifting dragon with morph.