Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-07-2021, 05:04 PM   #61
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: A Bestiary for more than the DFRPG: Nordlond Enemies Book

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
I double checked and the mummy listed in GURPS Horror p 92 (or at least my copy) does not have Unhealing (Total) though it does have Doesn’t Sleep [20]: "Doesn’t Sleep [20]; Indomitable [15]; Mummified Undead (p. 27) [80]; Unfazeable [15]; Unkillable 2 (Achilles’ Heel, Fire, -50%) [50]"
Unhealing *should* be there. It's the last listed Disadvantage for the template in my copy.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 05:26 PM   #62
Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
I am completely baffled by the idea that producing an official bestiary for GURPS Dungeon Fantasy is even slightly controversial. Even assuming someone were completely satisfied with the existing resources, what possible harm is there in more support for the game system?
This. If people also like, or even prefer, unofficial material that's out there, then use it. If people don't want art work for every entry, then, I guess coer them up? I mean, really...
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 05:35 PM   #63
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Unhealing *should* be there. It's the last listed Disadvantage for the template in my copy.
You're right. I keep having a brain fart and confuse Mummified Undead with Mummy.

Though Intact Undead (GURPS Zombies) is more logical:

Advantages and Perks [140]: Doesn’t Breathe [20]; Doesn't Eat or Drink [10]; Doesn't Sleep [20]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Immunity to Metabolic Hazards [30]; Injury Tolerance (No Blood, Unliving) [25]; Temperature Tolerance 10 [10]; Unaging [15]
Disadvantages and Quirks [-110]: Supernatural Features (No Body Heat, No Pulse, Pallor) [-20]; Fragile (Unnatural) [-50]; Unhealing (Total) [-30]

But it just goes to show that even in canonical material things can be a little "off".
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 03:26 AM   #64
Farmer

Over 400 followers already!
Old 11-08-2021, 06:22 AM   #65
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
Over 400 followers already!
It’s a good start. I’ll release more teasers this week. See if I can get a graphic design I like.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 08:44 AM   #66
lugaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
I double checked and the mummy listed in GURPS Horror p 92 (or at least my copy) does not have Unhealing (Total) though it does have Doesn’t Sleep [20]: "Doesn’t Sleep [20]; Indomitable [15]; Mummified Undead (p. 27) [80]; Unfazeable [15]; Unkillable 2 (Achilles’ Heel, Fire, -50%) [50]"
That's just the Advantages section. Disadvantages continues on from there. I won't list all of them, but it starts with Compulsive Behavior (12) … [-15] and ends with Unhealing (Total) [-30].
lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 08:45 AM   #67
Dalin

Count me among the many who are thrilled to see a print bestiary coming from Gaming Ballistic. Art and presentation matter, especially when you're bringing in new gamers. I never got any traction with GURPS DF at my middle-school RPG club because the PDFs couldn't be picked up and looked at. Even when printed, they didn't catch attention the way a properly produced book does. (To be clear: I'm not dissing the DF line... I love it, and I understand the economic realities that constrained its production.)

DFRPG changed that. The booklets are fun to pick up and look through. The covers are exciting. There are evocative illustrations inside. The color-coded chapters in Adventurers make it easy to jump between sections. These production elements make a difference to casual users.

A hefty book of monsters will look great alongside the rest of my DFRPG collection. I know for certain that students and new players will pick it up and eagerly page through it. I can't wait.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 04:05 PM   #68
DouglasCole

Here is an example of the layout, graphic design, and art as it stands. Well, one monster's worth. It's not necessarily the final version, but I like it as a trend.

Nordlond Bestiary monster, layout, art sample
Old 11-10-2021, 04:24 PM   #69
Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Here is an example of the layout, graphic design, and art as it stands. Well, one monster's worth. It's not necessarily the final version, but I like it as a trend.

Nordlond Bestiary monster, layout, art sample
Looking good! I like the overall style, and the stat blocks, details, write up, and art all work.
Old 11-10-2021, 04:27 PM   #70
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
Looking good! I like the overall style, and the stat blocks, details, write up, and art all work.
Thanks. I'm going to take a look at all of the past bestiary layouts and pick out the parts I like best.

The monster write-ups from Forest's End seem to me to be the most flexible in terms of "where can I stick the art?" as well as being very clear.

Tags
bestiary, kickstarter