Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-20-2008, 11:17 AM   #1
Pericles

Default Mad Scientist creation

I was just wondering what should be some "standard" traits for a mad scientist.
I thought of a high level in prefered science or Science!, megalomania perhaps and the typical "Igor"(But what would he traits be, besides bad back)
Old 12-20-2008, 12:13 PM   #2
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: Mad Scientist creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pericles
I was just wondering what should be some "standard" traits for a mad scientist.
I thought of a high level in prefered science or Science!, megalomania perhaps and the typical "Igor"(But what would he traits be, besides bad back)
High IQ, though perhaps with lowered Perception (they never seem to notice when their creations have turned on them)

Reputation of at least -2 as a kook among other scientists ("They laughed at me at the university! But I'll have my revenge!")

Megalomania and/or a fairly serious Delusion or Obsession related to his pending discovery.

High levels in Science! (since the character is definitely cinematic) and possibly in Surgery if he's the "reanimate the dead" type.

Wealthy or higher -- this sort of character tends to have the castle and extensive lab equipment available. Even Doc Brown in Back to the Future used to have the Brown Manor before it burned down.

Odious Personal Habit: Ranting (or for good-guy mad scientists, OPH: Hyper-enthusiasm. Again, think of the Doc.)

Ally: Igor, who should have decent ST and Stealth for all that body-snatching. A Discworld-style Igor will also have Distinctive Features (lisp), and phenomenal Surgery skills.

Intimidation, to keep any living captives cowed.

A couple of levels of Charisma are optional, to explain how he attracts assistants and/or victims in the first place (some mad scientists can seem seductive at first)

Just a start -- I'm sure others can come up with more.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:19 PM   #3
Jasonft

Higher TL with the limitation (Must use Weird Science) is nice.

Signature Gear is a possibility. Sonic Screwdriver anyone?

Gizmos are a must for an adventurer type, because a Madboy could literally have almost *anything* in their pocket. Also good for how the villeins always seem to have a convenient switch nearby to blow up their fortress when the Good Guys win.

Wealth is nice, Ally or Patron are a distinct possibility. How else could they afford to have secret island lairs? Gadget building is expensive.

Luck. Definitely Luck.

If not Luck, then something that lets them be immune to their own lab accidents and minor problems. Hard to Kill maybe?

Enemies/ Rivals/ Hunts or is Hunted by...

Pretty much anything that gives you a good running gag.

Phobia (Torches and Pitchforks) could be good for a laugh.

Serendipity, for reasons similar to Luck and Gizmos. Mad types *always* seem to have things either go their way or go violently against their plans.

And of course, the inescapable disad every Mad Scientist *must* have?

Weirdness Magnet. To my mind every properly Mad dabbler is a walking, talking, ranting Weirdness Magnet. And most likely they don't even realize why people dislike them for it.
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:19 PM   #4
Pericles

Somekind of "Evil Laugh" perk, which would include dramatic music and thunder in the backround
Old 12-20-2008, 01:20 PM   #5
Nymdok

Even in cinematic games, Im going to recomend against Science! As it is the cornerstone of the mad Scientist, his specific discipline shapes his out look greatly. For a protagonist, his ability to do science is generally like his ability to swing a sword, or shoot a gun. It is a means to an end and not really what drives him.

Spock (in some games) would have Science! But no specific science really defines him, nor are any of his adventures really based on a specific science so the Science! skill allows him to move the plot along.

Dr Moreau - Biology and some chemistry.

Dr Frankenstein - biology and surgery(With just enough Meterology to catch a lightning bolt).

Herbert West - Biology Chemistry and surgery

Dr Jekyl - Chemistry,Biology and maybe a little psychology.

Each of these would be completely different if their specialties were changed.

If Dr Frankenstein Had been an Engineer for example his monster might have been a clockwork golem.

If Dr Moreau with the addition of a physics specialty could have mad Radiaoactive Giant Half Man / Half Jackal (Which might be neat for Atomic Horror)

If Dr Jekyl had Temporal Mechanics as a specialty, instead of Brutish and violent, Mr. Hyde might have been an advanced evolution of himself that would have been a Brilliant crime boss, elegant, precise and no less destructive.

And poor Herbert West, one of my alltime favorite MSs, if hed only had a Botany skill, his reanimation formula could have been used to keep roses fresh indefinately :)

So the moral of the story is that the Science part of Mad Scientist is far too defining to be glossed over with the Ambiguous Science! skill.

The other moral of the storyis that Biologists are evil.And so are Chemists.

And Physicists are the Good Guys :)

Nymdok
One of the Good Guys....
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:24 PM   #6
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Instead of an Igor, I'd prefer an Igorette, who is usually attractive but clueless. Think either Chisato Kawahara from XC2 or Swomi Tift from IoU as the archetypes that would fit the role.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:36 PM   #7
Rendu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh
Instead of an Igor, I'd prefer an Igorette, who is usually attractive but clueless. Think either Chisato Kawahara from XC2 or Swomi Tift from IoU as the archetypes that would fit the role.
Terri Garr (can't remember her character's name) from Young Frankenstein. Or the standard MS's beautiful daughter who falls in love with one of the heroes and comes to realize that her father must be stopped. (And/or turns out to be a robot.)

And, in reference to the OP, I disagree with high IQ. 11 or 12, (bright, but not extraordinary) at most, with high Talent and LOTS of points in relevant skills is a better fit for this kind of character. The MS is a product of obsession, not a Renaissance Man. Not the most point-efficient build, perhaps, but I don't see min-maxing as a good thing for NPC's.
Rendu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:03 PM   #8
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonft
And of course, the inescapable disad every Mad Scientist *must* have?

Weirdness Magnet. To my mind every properly Mad dabbler is a walking, talking, ranting Weirdness Magnet. And most likely they don't even realize why people dislike them for it.
*Must* have? Why? If I'm going to play a Mad Scientist, I don't want the weird to randomly happen around me - I want to bring the weird.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:10 AM   #9
Pericles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc
*Must* have? Why? If I'm going to play a Mad Scientist, I don't want the weird to randomly happen around me - I want to bring the weird.
Mad scientists are themselves kinda weird anyway, aren't they?
Old 12-22-2008, 03:51 PM   #10
Sense of Duty (Kittens)

Many Mad Scientist tropes are derivative of Einstein or Tesla. Einstein was famous for his absent mindedness, and Tesla was not very social, sometmes favoring the company of birds to humans. He was also reported to have OPH (Designes WMDs).

Remember that Dr. Jekyl had Pharmacy as well. Also, he did not begin as mad strictly speaking but idealistic and somewhat overconfident.

Jealousy and Loner work well for misanthropic geniuses. Many highly functional if not schizotypal creative types report having Phantom Voices and Flashbacks.

Callous is suitable for scientists in general, who are trained to suppress their emotional signatureas in the interest of observation.

Many fictional scientists have stunted social skills, so Clueless and Oblivious could be appropriate.

Tags
girl genius, swomi tift