Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-10-2014, 03:34 PM   #11
Randyman

Default Re: GURPS Ogre Factory States

Coming from an IW perspective, I keep envisioning the OGRE Factory States vs. the Reign of Steel Zoneminds. I'd want to keep Infinity, Centrum, the Cabal, and Reich-5 all out of the way just to speculate on how the two AI sets would deal with each other without external interference.

(Yes, I know about VIRUS being a Centrum cover; I'd ignore/retcon it for the sake of the scenario.)

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #12
Mailanka

I used GURPS Ogre as the (inspiration for the) technological basis for one of my alien races in my space opera game. After reading the newly released ogre rules and their hints of the factory states, I was very intrigued. I wouldn't mind reading more.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:32 PM   #13
Ed the Coastie

I ran a short (6 or 7 sessions) campaign set in about 2200, in which the PCs were essentially "barbarians" in a post-Factory States setting. Fun campaign, and would probably have lasted longer except that two of my players (a married couple) moved away.

I also use a Mark III Vulcan as an NPC in my Gamma World-inspired post-apocalypse game.

Last edited by Ed the Coastie; 02-10-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Ed the Coastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #14
Kale

Given that the table top game has everyone flinging tactical nukes at each other, how the heck do your PCs survive the Ogreverse? @:-)
I'd find it hard to give the PCs the spotlight when there's giant cybertanks rumbling around. I would find the 'scale' difficult to manage I think.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:18 PM   #15
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjork View Post
One big problem with the campaign was that none of the players wanted to A) lead the other and B) have to take orders from somebody else. Given that they are all Swedes (well two are half-italians raised in Sweden) I find this statement about Swedes fitting:
This isn't that unusual, my players tend to avoid games with chains of command (although notably they have chosen one for the current cycle; even then though the leadership role was a hot potato).
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:41 AM   #16
Ashley

You know I was thinking that Paranoia is pretty much the comedy version of the Factory States world.

I think that a Factory States Campaign with humans as agents of the AI might be interesting and feasible to run ie: not too many nukes being thrown around. One could also play it a bit like a Culture novel, with the players acting for the Minds doing things that would otherwise been as seen as an escalation of force.

Blogs:
http://panther6actual.blogspot.co.uk/
http://ashleyrpollard.blogspot.co.uk/
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:45 PM   #17
Ed the Coastie

I've been casting about for a campaign setting. This thread has me thinking about maybe revisiting my old "post-Factory States" setting.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:34 AM   #18
NathanZutt

Right now I'm leading a campaign on GURPS OGRE. The players took the role of members of the Chinese resistance. Fighting against the occupation forces of the Japanese in the 2080s. It turns out fervently. The team has a tank psychiatrist, an engineer and a partisan. So far three sessions have passed — documents were made on one through Qīng Bāng (the Chinese criminal grouping), on the second they came to the Resistance, in the third — one of the majors of the Japanese army was removed. Players like it, especially the fact that the enemy Japanese ogre named Diamond has its own fan club and analogue Instagram.
I apologize for bad English, this is not my native language.
NathanZutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 02:33 PM   #19
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanZutt View Post
Right now I'm leading a campaign on GURPS OGRE. . .
Sounds interesting, and your English isn't a problem. Is your game set in the Ogre period, rather than the Factory States?

More generally, what are the Factory States supposed to be like? I get the impression of states organised around Ogre factories. If so, presumably the factories are run by Ogre brains?
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:16 AM   #20
NathanZutt

Thank.
Yes, our game goes through the OGRE period. But I hope that players will be able to build the future of factory states by their actions. Our campaign should answer the following questions:
- will China be able to completely get rid of Japan?
- Will the state similar to the prewar state be restored in China?
- Will the Chinese factory staff be built?
- whether what will appear on the place of China, can survive under the pressure of the factory states of the Pan-European Federation?

I really hope that we can finish the first campaign. And then, after a break, start a new one in the era of factory states.
NathanZutt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps ogre, ogre