Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-19-2014, 07:45 PM   #701
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Well, the only thing that sticks out a bit are the two range-based Accessibilities. I'd usually roll them into one modifier, together with the implied "Only for duplicating other's powers". The values look overstated as limitations. Even halving them looks a little generous to me. How did you come up with the values in the write-up?
For the "can only duplicate 5 powersets" and the "cannot go a mile beyond the template", I went with the typical minimum for Accessibility, (-10%). The "must be within 100 feet to duplicate", I ... actually can't remember how I arrived at -20%; I might have looked at some of the example Accessibilities in GCA and guestimated.

I'm open to suggestions on how to streamline the Accessibility limitations while keeping the overall effects the same.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:29 AM   #702
Otaku

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
For the "can only duplicate 5 powersets" and the "cannot go a mile beyond the template", I went with the typical minimum for Accessibility, (-10%). The "must be within 100 feet to duplicate", I ... actually can't remember how I arrived at -20%; I might have looked at some of the example Accessibilities in GCA and guestimated.

I'm open to suggestions on how to streamline the Accessibility limitations while keeping the overall effects the same.
You're still talking about The Mimic, right?

I really think the point cost involved for "mimicking" others means the limit to 5 power sets (especially if it is a "power set" so he can't cherry pick a single Advantage/Skill set) will usually be enough... and that it might not even be a bad idea based on his "blended" origins coupled with GURPS mechanics to allow a player (in a very high point game) or the GM running him the option of having him copy "weaker" powersets and exceed that limit, or be unable to reach his usual maximum when trying to replicate the power-set of an incredibly high value target.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:18 AM   #703
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post

If you want to streamline them, then I think rolling the ones that go together into one modifier is the best way to do it. As a counterpoint though, keeping them separated does tend to improve comprehensibility, but with the risk of inflating the value of the total modifiers. The two range-based Accessibilities seem to me to be more like Nuisance Effects.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:15 PM   #704
OldSam

Impressive progression here, very nice! :)
By the way, do you plan to convert all this into a pdf (maybe even with images) at any time in the future? Would be awesome...
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:02 PM   #705
Infornific

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSam View Post
By the way, do you plan to convert all this into a pdf (maybe even with images) at any time in the future? Would be awesome...
Check tbrock's sig - there's a link to a pdf collecting all his GURPS Marvel characters.
Infornific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:26 PM   #706
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infornific View Post
Check tbrock's sig - there's a link to a pdf collecting all his GURPS Marvel characters.
Indeed, and it's currently sitting at 370+ pages. Word of warning, there are incomplete entries in the PDF.

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:31 PM   #707
Phantasm

STINGER

Identity: Known to the authorities.
Legal Status: Citizen of the United States with a criminal record, still a minor.
Other Aliases: None.
Place of Birth: Unrevealed.
Marital Status: Single.
Known Relatives: Tower (brother, real name unrevealed).
Group Affiliation: Mutant Liberation Front.
Base of Operations: New York City.
History: Little is known about Stinger before she joined the Mutant Liberation Front(see Mutant Liberation Front). She and her older brother, Tower, were recruited to participate in an attack on the X-Men as part of a diversion so the MLF's leader, Mystique, could rob the Federal Reserve vault in New York City (see Mystique; Tower; X-Men). Stinger was defeated when the Beast used a metal grate and rubber gloves to ground her bolts of electricity without taking damage himself, enabling him to approach her unharmed (see Beast). Stinger was then taken into police custody.

Stinger was tried as an adult and found guilty on various charges, but escaped during the mass breakout led by the Rhino; she has presumably rejoined the MLF (see Rhino).
Height: 5' 4".
Weight: 110 lbs.
Eyes: Brown.
Hair: Platinum blond (bleached).
Uniform: Yellow and red sleeveless bodysuit with white lightning bolts running from her shoulders to her navel; red boots, black belt.
Strength Level: Stinger possesses the normal human strength of a woman her age, height, and build who engages in regular exercise.
Known Superhuman Powers: Stinger is able to project electricity from her hands; this electricity follows the laws of physics after leaving her hands, and will seek out the path of least resistance. She is able to draw electrical power from other sources to increase the power of her electric bolts.

130 points
Attributes:
ST 10 [0]; DX 11 [20]; IQ 10 [0]; HT 11 [10].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d-2/1d; BL 20 lbs.; HP 10 [0]; Will 10 [0]; Per 11 [5]; FP 11 [0]; Basic Speed 5.50 [0]; Basic Move 5 [0]; Dodge 8.
Languages: English (Native) (Native Language) [0].
Cultural Familiarities: Western [0].
Advantages: Burning Attack 5d (Damage Modifier: Surge, +20%; Increased 1/2D Range ×2, +5%; Reduced Range ×1/2, -10%; Variable, +5%; Elemental: Electricity, -10%; Mutant, -10%) [25]; Damage Resistance 20 (Absorption: Into Burning Attack, +80%; Limited: Electricity, -40%; Tough Skin, -40%; Mutant, -10%) [90]; Fit [5]; Hard to Kill 3 [6]; Rapid Healing [5]; Single-Minded [5].
Perks: Generator [1]; Ignition [1].
Disadvantages: Code of Honor (Pirate's) [-5]; Fanaticism (Lethal Legion's Goals) [-15]; Overconfidence (9) [-7]; Social Stigma (Criminal Record) [-5]; Social Stigma (Minor) [-5]; Status -1 [-5]; Wealth (Poor) [-15].
Quirks: Bad Timing Girl [-1]; Incompetence (Physics) [-1]; Likes Violent Solutions to Problems [-1]; Talks Like a Valley Girl [-1].
Skills: Carousing (E) HT+0 [1] – 11; Current Affairs/TL8 (Popular Culture) (E) IQ+0 [1] – 10; Fast-Draw (Knife) (E) DX+0 [1] – 11; Fast-Talk (A) IQ+0 [2] – 12; Innate Attack (Beam) (E) DX+3 [8] – 14; Knife (E) DX+1 [2] – 12; Streetwise (A) IQ+0 [2] – 10; Urban Survival (A) IQ+0 [2] – 10.
Starting Spending Money: $800 (20% of Starting Wealth).

Role-Playing Notes:
Stinger talks like a California Valley Girl, much to her brother's annoyance. She is a fanatic believer in the MLF's goals and a fan of violent methods, and has little patience for political talk or legal double-speak, preferring to simply zap first and ask questions never.

Last edited by Phantasm; 06-28-2020 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:36 PM   #708
Phantasm

TIMESHADOW

Legal Status: Citizen of the United States with a criminal record.
Known Relatives: None.
Group Affiliation: Mutant Liberation Front; former soldier in the United States Army.
Base of Operations: Mobile.
History: Timeshadow was a patient at a US Army run drug and alcohol rehab center when discovered by Mystique, who broke him out and recruited him into the Mutant Liberation Front (see Mutant Liberation Front; Mystique). Apparently, he was still considered "active duty" at the time; he'd been sent to the rehab center by his superior officers in the Army.

As a member of the MLF, Timeshadow was assigned to assist in receiving a shipment of weapons from one of AIM's underworld dealers, only to have the shipment interrupted by a fight between the X-Men and their frenemy Mimic (see AIM; Mimic; X-Men). Following this altercation, Timeshadow was taken into police custody and is believed imprisoned at the Fort Leavenworth military prison.
Height: 5' 11".
Weight: 170 lbs.
Hair: Brown.
Uniform: Blue bodysuit with a symbol of four overlapping circles shifting from white to dark gold, gold belt, black gloves, black boots, blue cowl.
Strength Level: Timeshadow possesses the normal human strength of a man his age, height, and build who engages in regular exercise.
Known Superhuman Powers: Timeshadow is a mutant with the ability to summon duplicates of himself from possible futures. The number of alternates he's been shown to summon at any one time is ten; it's not known whether this is his limit.
Other Abilities: Timeshadow is a skilled hand to hand combatant and skilled in modern weapons.

910 points
Attributes:
ST 11 [10]; DX 11 [20]; IQ 11 [20]; HT 11 [10].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d-1/1d+1; BL 24 lbs.; HP 11 [0]; Will 11 [0]; Per 11 [0]; FP 11 [0]; Basic Speed 5.50 [0]; Basic Move 5 [0]; Dodge 9.
Advantages: Combat Reflexes [15]; Duplication 10 (Construct, +60%; Duplicated Gear, +100%; Mutant, -10%) [875]; Fit [5].
Disadvantages: Addiction (Tobacco) [-5]; Alcoholism [-15]; Bad Sight (Nearsighted) (Mitigator: Glasses/Contacts, -60%) [-10]; Code of Honor (Soldier's) [-10]; Social Stigma (Criminal Record) [-5]; Wealth (Struggling) [-10].
Quirks: Chauvinistic [-1]; Distractible [-1]; Dull [-1].
Skills: Brawling (E) DX+1 [2] – 12; First Aid/TL8 (Human) IQ+0 [1] – 11; Gunner/TL8 (Machine Gun) (E) DX+1 [2] – 12; Guns/TL8 (Light Anti-Armor Weapon) (E) DX+1 [2] – 12; Guns/TL8 (Rifle) (E) DX+1 [2] – 12; NBC Suit/TL8 (A) DX-1 [1] – 10; Savoir-Faire (Military) (E) IQ+0 [1] – 11; Soldier/TL8 (A) IQ-1 [1] – 10; Wrestling (A) DX-1 [1] – 10.
Starting Spending Money: $2,000 (20% of Starting Wealth).

Role-Playing Notes:
A veteran of the Afghanistan campaign, Timeshadow will attempt to stay cool in fights. However, despite being a superhuman himself he's out of his league against other supers. On top of this, he's liable to be under the influence at any given time.

Last edited by Phantasm; 06-28-2020 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:41 PM   #709
Phantasm

TOAD

Legal Status: Citizen of Canada with no criminal record.
Other Aliases: "Igor".
Place of Birth: Ontario, Canada.
Known Relatives: None.
Group Affiliation: Brotherhood of Mutants.
Base of Operations: Mobile.
History: Mortimer Toynbee was abandoned on an orphanage doorstep as an infant. His stature, mutant tongue, and less-than-average looks resulted in him being picked on by the other kids at the orphanage. He withdrew into himself, so much so that the people working the orphanage believed he was mentally retarded, when in reality he possessed a slightly above average intelligence. He developed a personality where he would show complete and utter devotion to anyone who showed him the slightest compassion.

As an adult, he was discovered by Magneto, who was forming his Brotherhood of Mutants, and given the name Toad after his physical attributes and sycophantic personality (see Brotherhood of Mutants; Magneto). Magneto did not believe that Toad's abilities would be of great value, but liked that Toad would not question hum or seek greater power than what Magneto allowed.

As a member of the Brotherhood, Toad clashed several times with the X-Men, until Magneto was separated from the Brotherhood (see X-Men). At some time prior to this the Toad had become smitten with his teammate, the Scarlet Witch, and in his own way attempted to show his affection for her (see Scarlet Witch). This led to her turning him into his namesake animal at least once. Even so, he followed her without question while the Brotherhood was trapped in the Savage Land when she assumed leadership of the group (see Savage Land). While in the Savage Land, the Toad lost a lot of weight and chose to eschew the outfit Magneto had given him; he has not yet designed a replacement uniform, opting for standard civilian attire.

Toad continues to serve as a member of the Brotherhood to this day.
Height: 5' 8".
Weight: 160 lbs. (was 260 lbs. early on).
Hair: Brown.
Other Distinguishing Features: Toad's tongue reaches up to 12 feet away when he extends it to its full length.
Uniform: Formerly a brown leotard with a collar akin to a medieval court jester's over an orange bodysuit, brown pixie boots, and goggles with red lenses; currently none.
Strength Level: The Toad possesses strength slightly greater than that of a normal human of his height, weight, and build, though he does not possess superhuman strength.
Known Superhuman Powers: The Toad is a mutant with animalistic traits that resemble those of his namesake.

Primarily, the Toad possesses enhanced strength in his legs enabling him to leap superhuman distances. He has been known to reach a height of 20 feet and a distance of 80 feet in the same leap. Toad's spine is more flexible than would be apparent, enabling him to spend time in a crouch without damage.

In addition, his fingers and toes have microscopic suction cups on them enabling him to cling to any surface with them.

Finally, Toad's tongue is able to extend to a length of 12 feet, and is strong enough to enable him to grasp a crossbeam and pull himself towards it.
Other Abilities: Toad is a skilled staff fighter. He is also smarter than he lets on.

330 points
Attributes:
ST 15 [50]; DX 15 [100]; IQ 11 [20]; HT 13 [30].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d+1/2d+1; BL 45 lbs.; HP 15 [0]; Will 10 [-5]; Per 13 [10]; FP 13 [0]; Basic Speed 7.00 [0]; Basic Move 7 [0]; Dodge 13.
Advantages: Catfall (Mutant Biology, +0%) [10]; Clinging (Mutant Biology, +0%) [20]; Combat Reflexes [15]; Double-Jointed (Mutant Biology, +0%) [15]; Enhanced Dodge 2 [30]; Extra Arms 1 (Extra-Flexible, +50%; Long 2, +200%; Mutant Biology, +0%) [35]; Hard to Kill 2 [4]; Hard to Subdue 2 [4]; Perfect Balance (Mutant Biology, +0%) [15]; Super Jump 3 (Mutant Biology, +0%) [30]; Versatile [-5].
Perks: Acrobatic Kicks [1]; Eye For Distance [1]; Grip Mastery (Quarterstaff) [1].
Disadvantages: Appearance (Ugly) [-8]; Clueless [-10]; Gregarious [-10]; Gullibility (9) [-15]; Low Self-Image [-10]; Oblivious [-5]; Pacifism (Reluctant Killer) [-5]; Social Stigma (Criminal Record) [-5]; Social Stigma (Freak) [-10]; Status -1 [-5]; Truthfulness (6) [-10]; Wealth (Poor) [-15]; Workaholic [-5].
Quirks: Bowlegged [-1]; Constantly Calls Magneto "Master" [-1]; Dual Identity [-1]; Enamored with the Scarlet Witch [-1]; Imaginative [-1].
Skills: Acrobatics (H) DX+1 [4] – 16*; Climbing (A) DX+6 [2] – 21*†; Electronics Operation/TL8 (Security) (A) IQ+1 [4] – 12; Electronics Operation/TL8 (Surveillance) (A) IQ+1 [4] – 12; Electronics Repair/TL8 (Security) (A) IQ+1 [4] – 12; Electronics Repair/TL8 (Surveillance) (A) IQ+1 [4] – 12; Escape (H) DX+4 [2] – 19†; Jumping (E) DX+3 [8] – 18; Scrounging (E) Per+1 [2] – 14; Staff (A) DX+1 [4] – 16; Stealth (A) DX+0 [2] – 15; Tracking (A) Per+1 [4] – 14.
Techniques: Acrobatic Stand (A) def+6 [6] – 16; Kicking (Acrobatics) (H) def+2 [3] – 16; Sweep (Staff) (H) def+3 [4] – 16.

* Includes +1 from Perfect Balance.
† Includes +5 from Double-Jointed.

Role-Playing Notes:
Toad is the prototypical "yes-man"; he lets verbal abuse slide off him if the person abusing him ever shows him any kindness. Of all the Brotherhood, he is probably closest to Quicksilver, as Quicksilver doesn't berate him or put him down.

Design Notes:
1. This Toad is an amalgamation of the original comics Toad – the heavy-set, bowlegged sycophant introduced in X-Men v1 #4 (1962) – with the athletic long-tongue version made popular with the movie X-Men (2000) and the X-Men Evolution animated series (ca. 2009).

Old 06-21-2014, 07:46 PM   #710
Phantasm

TOWER

Legal Status: Citizen of the United States with a criminal record.
Known Relatives: Wendy (aka Stinger, sister).
Group Affiliation: Mutant Liberation Front.
Base of Operations: New York City.
History: Little is known about Tower before he joined the Mutant Liberation Front, although it is likely that he was a career criminal (see Mutant Liberation Front). He and his younger sister, Stinger, were recruited to participate in an attack on the X-Men as part of a diversion so the Legion's leader, Mystique, could rob the Federal Reserve vault in New York City (see Mystique; Stinger; X-Men).

Tower was defeated by Cyclops and Iceman in that altercation and was taken into police custody (see Cyclops; Iceman). He was last seen as part of the mass breakout from prison led by the Rhino; he originally intended to sit it out, until he saw his sister escaping in the chaos and went to meet up with her (see Rhino).
Height: 6' 2".
Weight: 355 lbs.
Hair: Black, bleached blond.
Uniform: Magenta bodysuit with a lighter lavender "T" pattern on the shoulders and chest, magenta gloves, black boots.
Strength Level: At his normal height, Tower possesses the normal human strength of a man his age, height, and prodigious build. At his full 15 foot height, he is able to lift (press) around 10 tons.
Known Superhuman Powers: Tower is a mutant with the ability to physically grow to a height of 15 feet. Apparently the additional mass is drawn from an extradimensional source, presumably the same source involved when Ant-Man and Wasp change size (see Ant-Man; Wasp).

Even at his normal human height, Tower possesses superhuman durability to injury. This durability is increased proportionately as he grows to attain his maximum height. At his normal human size, he has been shown to be impervious to police small arms fire; at his superhuman height he is able to withstand police sniper rifles without injury.

640 points
Attributes:
ST 15 [50]; DX 11 [20]; IQ 10 [0]; HT 13 [30].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d+1/2d+1 (2d+2/5d-1; 12d/14d); BL 45 lbs. (125 lbs./2,645 lbs.); HP 15 (25/115) [0]; Will 10 [0]; Per 10 [0]; FP 13 [0]; Basic Speed 6.00 [0]; Basic Move 6 (8) [0]; Dodge 9.
Advantages: Damage Resistance 15 (Tough Skin, -40%; Mutant, -10%) [38]; Damage Resistance +30 (Accessibility: Only At Growth Height, -10%; Tough Skin, -40%; Mutant, -10%) [60]; Extra Basic Move 2 (Accessibility: Only At Growth Height, -10%) [9]; Growth 2 (Mutant, -10%) [18]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Modified ST-Based Damage 12d-1 (Accessibility: Only At Growth Height, -10%; Armor Divisor (2), +50%; Mutant, -10%) [18]; Single-Minded [5]; Super ST +10/+100 (Growth Size, -20%; Mutant, -10%) [370]; Very Rapid Healing [15].
Perks: Striking Surface [1].
Disadvantages: Appearance (Unattractive) [-4]; Hidebound [-5]; Overconfidence (12) [-5]; Sense of Duty (Stinger, sister) [-2]; Social Stigma (Criminal Record) [-5]; Status -1 [-5]; Wealth (Poor) [-15].
Quirks: Dual Identity [-1]; Never Smiles [-1]; OUCH! [-1]; Pharma-Fever [-1].
Skills: Area Knowledge (New York City) (E) IQ+2 [4] – 12; Boxing (A) DX+1 [4] – 12; Carousing (E) HT+0 [1] – 13; Forced Entry (E) DX+1 [2] – 12; Gambling (A) IQ+0 [2] – 10; Guns/TL8 (Pistol) (E) DX+0 [1] – 11; Intimidation (A) Will+2 [8] – 12; Lifting (A) HT+1 [4] – 13; Savoir-Faire (Mafia) (E) IQ+0 [1] – 10; Stealth (A) DX+1 [4] – 12; Streetwise (A) IQ+2 [8] – 12; Urban Survival (A) Per+0 [2] – 10.

Role-Playing Notes:
Tower cares about two main things: getting paid for the work he does, and his sister's well-being. He's not into the whole "proactively eliminate threats to mutantkind" line of the MLF's that his sister bought into, and was willing to serve out his sentence even after the breakout started until he spotted his sister among the escapees.

Last edited by Phantasm; 06-28-2020 at 03:09 PM.

Tags
avengers, captain america, captain marvel, chandley, character creation, chargen, iron man, marvel, phantasm, supers, thor, x-men