Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 03-07-2021, 11:55 AM   #1
Joseph R

Default Time to cast dependent upon energy spent

For spells such as History (Spells p.43), where the Time to cast is dependent upon energy spent, I read this as being the caster's energy expenditure, rather than the unmodified cost. That would be my assumption, based on the use of the term "energy spent" which implies the actual caster's expenditure, rather than "cost" which is clearly the unmodified energy requirement. However that seems like double-dipping.

I couldn't find this question anywhere on a search. Am I reading it right?

Formerly known as Unwitting Pawn
Joseph R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:31 AM   #2
Dalin

Default Re: Time to cast dependent upon energy spent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph R View Post
For spells such as History (Spells p.43), where the Time to cast is dependent upon energy spent, I read this as being the caster's energy expenditure, rather than the unmodified cost. That would be my assumption, based on the use of the term "energy spent" which implies the actual caster's expenditure, rather than "cost" which is clearly the unmodified energy requirement.
This is the only reading that makes sense to me.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:45 AM   #3
Anthony

I interpret it as unmodified cost; you get time reduction for high skill separately.
Old 03-14-2021, 12:09 AM   #4
ArchonShiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph R View Post
which implies the actual caster's expenditure, rather than "cost" which is clearly the unmodified energy requirement. However that seems like double-dipping.
I remember cross-referencing every mention of “cost” and “spent” etc. across the DFRPG, and there seems no way for you to be wrong without errata.

That said, Kromm made it clear that Bless doesn’t work the way it’s written but the way it obviously should have been (for success rolls, it modifies effective skill, not die rolls), so here it may have been intended not to double-dip.

A lot of the DFRPG is thirty year old rules that have been copied and pasted with everyone assuming it probably said what they thought it should say. What was fixed on 4e Magic was mostly what the writer, editor and playtesters had seen broken in their own games, with the rest sneaking under the radar.

Neither ruling is likely to destroy your game, but they may have an effect how often Mass Daze is used.
Old 03-23-2021, 02:45 PM   #5
Joseph R

Thanks for the answers!

Formerly known as Unwitting Pawn
Joseph R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spells