Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 01-30-2021, 05:10 PM   #41
corwyn

Default Re: What's next for the DFRPG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackcelso View Post
i would like to see more Denizens series.... the Thief and Knight Templates, in my opinion deserve much more atention. But would be very cool to see all the basic classes cover!!!
The Knight especially. I think it's the weakest template, in that he has almost nothing to do out of combat. He can intimidate and has a few adventuring skills like climbing and stealth... and that's it, I think. But it takes a big investment to be good at anything IQ related. Every template requires at least 12 DX but there are a bunch with <12 IQ but all the others have talents that can help that.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 05:30 PM   #42
SteamBub

I'm think a Exploits 2 book covering how to run/setup a dungeon crawl like how the older DnD editions and Old School Essentials do it. Maybe also campaign guidelines for the GM, hex crawl rules, and random tables for encounters?
SteamBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 05:26 PM   #43
DreadDomain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPumpkin View Post
It's hard to see it happening, but I'd love to see a honking great megadungeon in a glorious 300 page hardcover book, with wilderness adventuring and low-point character rules included.
Sometimes it would be nice to swing for the fences and have a beautiful artifact rather than utilitarian small books.
I doubt it would be economical to do but it's a great idea and I would be interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johansen View Post
I wonder if reformatting the core game as a hard back might be possible. It could be the same size and then the other 300 page book could be the same size.

Mega dungeon or multiple smaller dungeons, a wilderness area and a town?
I doubt it would be economical to do but it's a great idea and I would be interested.

Last edited by DreadDomain; 01-31-2021 at 05:29 PM.
DreadDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 07:24 PM   #44
corwyn

There's The World's Largest Dungeon, if anyone is interested in converting from 5e.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:17 PM   #45
acmegamer

Love to see wilderness setting information, town settings, more campaign settings to flesh out DFRPG. Also I love the idea of a megadungeon as well that others have mentioned.
acmegamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:49 PM   #46
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
The Knight especially. I think it's the weakest template, in that he has almost nothing to do out of combat.
Interesting point. I made a reply that veers from this thread, so I made a new thread.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:36 AM   #47
InexplicableVic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackcelso View Post
i would like to see more Denizens series.... the Thief and Knight Templates, in my opinion deserve much more atention. But would be very cool to see all the basic classes cover!!!
Technically this is for DF as opposed to DFRPG solely, but I'm not sure how many people play *straight* DFRPG with no influence from other sources (probably a few).

Having said that, I think Christopher Rice wrote one...not sure where that is in production. Not sure which one it is, either (Thief?). Seems like Martial Artists would also be a good option, and Clerics and Wizards could take material from DF7 and/or Dungeon Magical Styles (or whatever it is called) as a base for fleshing those out. But, yeah, I'd like this a lot. The groups I'm in (as a player and as a GM) both use both Denizens books a lot.
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:52 PM   #48
prospero

I'd echo earlier calls for expanded wilderness rules based off of DF16.

As for low-power delvers, as others have suggested, I'd hope that adapting the templates in DF15 Henchmen to create 125- or 150-point professions for the DFRPG would be relatively low-hanging fruit.

Expanded rules for henchmen and allies would be welcome. I'd hope DF15 Henchmen lays the groundwork for DFRPG-suitable rules beyond those listed in Exploits, p. 90. Full rules for allies might be too picky and detailed, but the animal companions of DFRPG Companion 2, p. 39, suggest that the existing Gurps and DF ally rules can used create pre-built allies suitable for DFRPG. Maybe three tiers of pre-built animal companions, allies, and familiars?
  1. the low-powered, mundane-but-exceptional cat, dog, falcon, owl, and parrot already statted out in DF Companion 2, perhaps with a few additional examples, like a rat, a weasel, a viper, and a monkey.
  2. a higher tier for a holy warrior's divine stallion, a knight's well-trained warhorse, a scout's loyal steed and hound, a barbarian's timber wolf, panther, or tiger companion, and a druid's bear or eagle, with sharks and octopi for waterborne variety.
  3. a few of the low-powered magical familiars from DF 5 Allies, and perhaps various minor divine servitors, spirits, elementals, skeletons, and zombiekin for wizards, clerics, holy warriors, shamans, and necromancers.

Last edited by prospero; 02-16-2021 at 12:06 AM. Reason: acknowledged earlier responses in the thread
prospero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:01 AM   #49
Captain Joy

Extra Effort in Combat

Formally adding Extra Effort in Combat rules. Although, I guess something like that would have to be part of a larger package of fun rules to add to your DFRPG game, since it’s trivial to add Extra Effort in Combat rules to any Powered by GURPS game.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 08:03 AM   #50
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
Formally adding Extra Effort in Combat rules. Although, I guess something like that would have to be part of a larger package of fun rules to add to your DFRPG game, since it’s trivial to add Extra Effort in Combat rules to any Powered by GURPS game.
I'd welcome the formal addition, too; burning energy (including Heroic Reserves) on feats is a good fit for DFRPG, IMO. I don't know what would be a good context for introducing it, though. Maybe a tome of new combat options, especially for the fightin' professions - a Martial Arts for DFRPG?

Let's run with that thought for a moment:

Extra Effort in Combat would be great option for groups ready to expand their game. Maybe Committed Attack and Defense Attack too, along with the formal introduction of Telegraphic Attack . . . but while there's plenty more to pilfer in Martial Arts, I wouldn't want to see too much complexity brought over to DFRPG (which has combat that's plenty rich as it is).

However much or little GURPS stuff a hypothetical DFRPG Combat Companion packs in, though, it's going to be a pretty marginal purchase for GURPS players who already have all that. What fresh content could it offer to make it fun for any purchaser? Not-deeply-considered response: A big section on smart combat tactics, with detailed examples of smart positioning, team actions, etc. in lots of different scenarios. Great stuff for newcomers, maybe even enlightening for old GURPS hands.

(I'll probably end up adding this to my goofy "Books We Want" list. : )

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote