Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-25-2021, 06:02 PM   #1721
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

THE ORDER OF KAMAR-TAJ

The Order of Kamar-Taj is an order of sorcerer monks which can trace its lineage at least as far back as the founding of the Shaolin temple in 465 AD, although there is evidence the order has existed in some form for millennia. Nestled in a remote location in the Himalayan Mountains along the Nepal-Tibet border, the Order's primary monastery is home to its leader, a centuries-old man known alternatively as the Master and, more commonly, as the Ancient One, a title apparently given to the Order's leader regardless of age (see Ancient One).

The Order in its current incarnation is named after the Ancient One's home village; there is circumstantial evidence that the monastery stands on or near the site of this lost village. The Order also owns a few dozen locations worldwide through a heritage site foundation it has set up to handle the Order's mundane affairs; of note among the Order's holdings are a Buddhist temple in Hong Kong, a Roman villa in Italy, a lake in Wales, and the four story brownstone at 177A Bleeker Street, New York City (see Doctor Strange's Sanctum Sanctorum).

Most of the Order are not sorcerers, but instead are a support staff who handle mundane affairs for the roughly fifty sorcerers at the main template and spread abroad. The main temple is home to not just the Ancient One but a dozen or so sorcerers, their apprentices, roughly twenty martial artists and warriors who protect the temple from demonic assault, and a collection of muggle servants who handle the mundane chores of cooking, cleaning, and maintaining their wireless network. Away from Kamar-Taj proper, every sorcerer who is a member has at least one servant who acts as a connection between the sorcerer and the Order.

There are cases where a member has been ejected from or voluntarily left the Order. The most notable of these is Karl Mordo, who left the Order on bad terms with the Ancient One and the Ancient One's intended successor, Dr. Stephen Strange (see Doctor Strange; Mordo, Karl). It is not yet known whether those who voluntarily leave the Order may still benefit from their services, although those ejected from the Order are not permitted to do so. Presumably those who leave the Order by turning against it are unable to benefit from its perks.

Naturally, the Order is not the only organization of sorcerers on Earth, but they are the largest and most organized with worldwide support.

Strange: "What's this, my mantra?"
Mordo: "The wifi password. We're not savages."
– Doctor Strange (2016)

---------------------------------------------------------

Order of Kamar-Taj

Mission Statement: The Order of Kamar-Taj is an order of sorcerers under the leadership of the Ancient One who have dedicated themselves to protecting Earth and its people from mystic threats.

Capabilities
TL: 8.
Members: 400.
Wealth: Wealthy.
Contacts: Administration-15 [2]; Magical Skills-18 [15].
Member Traits: Claim to Hospitality [10]; Magery 3+ [35].
Notable Resources: Most of its members' sanctums are owned by the Order rather than the sorcerers themselves, giving the Order significant land holdings in places of power across the world.
Reaction-Time Modifier: +0.

Costs and Values
Startup Cost: $101,088,000
Resource Value: $505,440
Patron Value: 10 points
Enemy Value: -30 points
Ally and Dependent Value: The Order consists of roughly fifty sorcerers worth between 500 and 800 points, a few dozen apprentices, martial artists, and warriors who are roughly in the 250 to 400 point range, and a few hundred paper-pushers under 100 points.

Social Attributes
Type: Fraternal, Occult, Secret, Teaching.
CR: 2.
Loyalty: Very Good (+3)
Rank: Organization Rank 0-2 [2 per level] for non-sorcerers. Sorcerers who are part of the Order will more likely use the variant rules in Social Engineering: Pulling Rank for requesting assistance from the Order.
Income Range: Average ($2,600/mo) to Very Wealthy ($52,000/mo).
Reputation: +0. The Order of Kamar-Taj is not that well known anywhere.

Notes
Only a quarter of the Order's members are sorcerers or servants who serve the sorcerers directly, while the remaining members are the order's support network – most of whom are not normally magically inclined – who take care of mundane matters so the sorcerers can focus on more pressing arcane matters.

I know, it's a little out of order, but I figured I'd handle the behind-the-scenes stuff before working on the bulk of the characters themselves.

In the comics, it's never really stated how many sorcerers Dr. Strange is friendly with. Some creative teams basically assume that the Ancient One had only two students: Mordo and Strange; others give friendly (or at least non-rival) sorcerers all over the place, from Hong Kong to London to Atlantis. My intent here is to give Strange more sorcerers he, Clea, and Wong can call upon in a pinch while not giving him a true "team" (beyond the later creation of the Defenders in Year Two or Year Three).

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 08-30-2022 at 01:16 AM.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 11:31 PM   #1722
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

AGGAMON

Identity: Aggamon's existence is unknown to the general populace of Earth.
Legal Status: Ruler of the Purple Dimension.
Other Aliases: None.
Place of Birth: Unrevealed.
Marital Status: Single.
Known Relatives: None.
Group Affiliation: Ruler of the Purple Dimension.
Base of Operations: The Purple Dimension.
History: Aggamon's history is unknown. It is known that he rules an extradimensional realm called the Purple Dimension, which is a mystic realm rich in gems, particularly gems in various shades purple. (Whether these gems are chemically similar to similar gems found on Earth – such as amethysts and jasper stones – is currently unknown.) Aggamon – or mages in his employ – is known to occasionally enchant gems to serve as gateways to his dimension, pulling anyone in their vicinity across the dimensions. Aggamon then enslaves these poor souls, sending them into his mines.

One such gem is known to have recently come into the possession of Dr. Stephen Strange, the new Sorcerer Supreme of Earth, although the circumstances of this acquisition are as yet unrevealed (see Doctor Strange). While he was studying the gem's mystic properties, Strange inadvertently triggered its enchantment which drew his fellow mystics Wong and Victoria Bentley into it (see Bentley, Victoria; Wong). To save them from the fate of other luckless visitors, Strange entered the Purple Dimension himself and bargained for their freedom, trading his own freedom for theirs. As soon as Wong and Bentley were returned to Earth, Strange broke free of Aggamon's shackles and dueled the tyrant for hours, pitting Strange's Amulet of Agamotto against Aggamon's gem-enhanced mystic energy rays. Aggamon was forced to break off the combat when faced with the choice between survival or mutually assured destruction. Strange then revealed that he had cast a spell preventing the restoration of Aggamon's energy unless he freed the rest of his slave force, which Aggamon reluctantly did. (Strange was bluffing.)

Aggamon has most recently been seen viewing Earth through a scrying gem for suitable slave labor.
Height: 6' 6".
Weight: 240 lbs.
Eyes: Green
Hair: None.
Skin: Green
Other Distinguishing Features: Aggamon possesses three fingers on each hand (including an opposable thumb). It is unknown if he likewise has three toes on each foot.
Uniform: Two-tone brown short-sleeved tunic with a lighter brown (sometimes red) V from the neck to mid-chest; brown trousers, black boots, purple bracers, black belt.
Strength Level: Aggamon appears to possess strength equal to that of a human man of his height and build who engages in moderate exercise.
Known Superhuman Powers: Aggamon is a sorcerer who is skilled at using a number of feats. He has been shown creating mental illusions, opening transdimensional gates, scrying locations on Earth, and creating beams of energy. His magic comes both from his own energy and from the ambient magic of the Purple Dimension. He has not been seen using magic without a gem, so it is possible his magic requires using the gems he has minded as foci.

Aggamon has not been shown calling upon other extradimensional entities for power; he has also not been called upon for power himself by mortal sorcerers.
Paraphernalia: Aggamon has access to a number of magical gems his slaves have mined, most of which have mystic properties and can be used as weapons or foci for casting. Many of the larger gems can be used as traps; at least one is reputed to drain magic from members of the Faltine race.
Servants: The Purple Dimension is patrolled and guarded by an unrevealed number of warriors armed with weapons which can be used as polearms and can fire beams of magical energy. In addition, he rules over thousands if not millions of slaves drawn from Earth and other dimensions.

986 points
Attributes: ST 13 [30]; DX 12 [40]; IQ 13 [60]; HT 12 [20].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d/2d-1; BL 34 lbs.; HP 13 [0]; Will 13 [0]; Per 13 [0]; FP 12 [0]; Basic Speed 6.00 [0]; Basic Move 6 [0]; Dodge 9.
Languages: Dark Dimensional (Native) (Native Language) [0]
Cultural Familiarities: Netherworlds (Native) [0].
Advantages: Compartmentalized Mind 1 (Limited: Powers Only, -5%; Mentalism, -10%; No Mental Separation, -20%) [33]; Energy/3 [60]; Energy Reserve (Magical) 30 [90]; Illusion/5 [50]; Increased Threshold 30 [150]; Magery 0 [5]; Magery 5 (Gadget/Breakable: DR 3, SM -7, -20%; Gadget/Can Be Stolen: Quick Contest of DX or ST, -30%) [25]; Safer Excess (+1 per 20 pts) [20]; Space/3 [60]; Status 8 [25*]; Unaging [15]; Wealth (Multimillionaire 4) [150]; Xeno-Omnilingual (Magical, -10%) [72].
Disadvantages: Callous [-5]; Cowardice (12) [-10]; Greed (9) [-22]; Hidebound [-5]; Low Pain Threshold [-10]; Necromantic Taint -2 [-6]; Unfit [-5].
Quirks: Chauvinistic [-1]; Cruel [-1]; Overweight [-1]; Proud [-1]; Vindictive [-1].
Skills: Accounting (H) IQ-1 [2] – 12; Administration (A) IQ+0 [2] – 13; Alchemy/TL3+5^ (VH) IQ+2 [16] – 15; Beam Weapons/TL3+5^ (Pistol) (E) DX+0 [1] – 12; Beam Weapons/TL3+5^ (Projector) (E) DX+0 [1] – 12; Beam Weapons/TL3+5^ (Rifle) (E) DX+0 [1] – 12; Brawling (E) DX+0 [1] – 12; Connoisseur (Gems) (A) IQ+2 [8] – 15; Fortune-Telling (Crystal Gazing) (A) IQ+0 [2] – 13; Hidden Lore (Netherworlds) (A) IQ+1 [4] – 14; Innate Attack (Beam) (E) DX+2 [4] – 14; Interrogation (A) IQ+0 [1] – 13†; Intimidation (A) Will+3 [12] – 16; Jeweler/TL3+5^ (H) IQ+1 [8] – 14; Leadership (A) IQ+0 [2] – 13; Merchant (A) IQ+1 [4] – 14; Observation (A) Per+1 [4] – 14; Occultism (A) IQ+0 [2] – 13; Polearm (A) DX+0 [2] – 12; Propaganda/TL3+5^ (A) IQ+0 [2] – 13; Public Speaking (Rhetoric) (E) IQ+1 [2] – 14; Thaumatology (VH) IQ+7 [16] – 20‡; Throwing (A) DX+0 [2] – 12; Wrestling (A) DX+0 [2] – 12.
Realm Skills: Energy (VH) IQ+7 [16] – 20‡; Illusion (VH) IQ+7 [16] – 20‡; Space (VH) IQ+7 [16] – 20‡.
Starting Spending Money: $4,000,000,000 (20% of Starting Wealth).

* Includes +3 from Wealth.
† Defaulted from Intimidation.
‡ Includes +5 from Magery.

Role-Playing Notes:
Two words define Aggamon: "greedy" and "cowardly". When faced with the possibility of death or injury, he will always surrender instead of continuing the fight.

Design Notes:
1. The Tech Level of the Purple Dimension, like most of the Far Realms/Netherworlds, is difficult to determine because of their heavy reliance on magic instead of technology. At this time, the general thrust is being considered as TL3+5^, with magic items that do roughly the same thing as modern-day TL8^ technology, diverging from or independently developing a TL3 base without magic. Until further notice, this TL will be considered as the base of the Far Realms/Netherworlds such as the Dark Dimension of Domammu.
2. The Purple Dimension, like most of the Netherworld dimensions (including the Dark Dimension of the dread Dormammu), is a "place of power" where ecocentric magic is easier to perform than on Earth.

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.

Last edited by Phantasm; 07-18-2021 at 04:32 AM.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:06 AM   #1723
Phantasm

Just updated the Ancient One and his stat page.

This was a total rewrite of the Ancient One's history and a complete remastering of his stats, with very little left over from the original entry.

Old 07-26-2021, 09:57 PM   #1724
Hide

Hey man, could make the Gambit? I think I haven't seen him here!
Old 07-27-2021, 03:55 AM   #1725
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Hey man, could make the Gambit? I think I haven't seen him here!
Gambit is a tough one to figure out as a Year One type character. Where would I put him, cast-wise? He's too much of the "dashing rogue" to be an X-student, and his typical stomping grounds of New Orleans aren't that well represented. I'd have to throw him in the anthology "title", which isn't a bad deal (it's where I threw the Punisher, after all).

He won't be an X-Man anytime soon. You good with that?

Old 07-28-2021, 12:23 AM   #1726
Hide

I have been waiting for your rendition of Gambit for almost 3 years, if that will happen soon, then it is good news!
Old 07-28-2021, 04:28 AM   #1727
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
I have been waiting for your rendition of Gambit for almost 3 years, if that will happen soon, then it is good news!
You may need to wait a while longer. o/` IF (and that's a big 'if') I do him, it won't be right away (or possibly any time soon).

(What makes him so popular anyway?)

Old 07-28-2021, 05:38 AM   #1728
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
You may need to wait a while longer. o/` IF (and that's a big 'if') I do him, it won't be right away (or possibly any time soon).

(What makes him so popular anyway?)
-he wear a trenchcoat. Instant bonus to popularity.

-original graphic design by Jim Lee

-"grey" morality character, the rogue thief hero with a dark secret in the past is always a safe bet for popularity

-some rather memorable scenes (the escape in X-Tinction Agenda, for exemple)

-the 90 cartoon.

-the Marvel vs. Capcom videogames

In the 90, he was supposed to be central to many plotlines (the witness, tie to the Summers family tree (but who doesn't), ... , but got dropped from most later on, I think.

I stopped reading X comics around the end of the century, so no idea what he became since then.

He was also quite popular in fanfiction, with some very decent ones, but I doubt that would influence mainstream popularity.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 04:46 PM   #1729
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
(...) a trenchcoat. Instant bonus to popularity (...)
Trenchcoat, Indeeed! He also was a playable character in the Marvel VS Capcom arcade game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
(...) IF (and that's a big 'if') I do him, it won't be right away (or possibly any time soon)
That sounds discouraging, how could this be a "handbook of mainstream characters" if Gambit is missing?

I have the impression you are well versed in both Marvel and GURPS, so I expected to find Gambit here; a rendition of the character by the hands of someone who seems to appreciate Marvel and GURPS.

Guess he'll play a little solitaire!
Old 07-31-2021, 12:36 PM   #1730
Phantasm

WOODPECKER

Identity: Known to the authorities.
Legal Status: Citizen of the United States with a criminal record.
Other Aliases: "Woodie", "Pecker-head", "bird-nose", "that laughing maniac".
Place of Birth: Unrevealed.
Marital Status: Single (presumably).
Known Relatives: Mother (real name unrevealed, alias Woodpecker).
Group Affiliation: None.
Base of Operations: Detroit, Michigan.
History: In the late '80s and early '90s, a costumed criminal calling herself Woodpecker created havoc in the the Los Angeles, California, metro area, whose hallmark was her staccato laugh in imitation of a particular cartoon character. This Woodpecker fought repeatedly with the spider-themed hero Araneus, who at the time was based in that city (see Araneus). Woodpecker proved herself a non-lethal menace: while she engaged in robberies, burglaries, and general public disorder, she made it a point to avoid endangering people.

Eventually it was revealed that Woodpecker had received her powers from the enigmatic criminal geneticist Mr. Sinister in return for unspecified services to be rendered at a future date. After several years, during which time Woodpecker encountered the outlaw team known as the Shadowguard (of whom Aranaeus eventually became a member) several times both on her own and as a member of Sinister's then team of operatives, the Terrors. After several years, Woodpecker dropped out of sight; most figured she'd either been jailed or had finally walked away from the villain game.

Recently, however, Woodpecker again appeared out of nowhere, this time in Detroit, Michigan, to challenge the city's resident hero, Nightangel (see Nightangel). It seemed as though she had not aged at all since her last appearance. After several encounters, Woodpecker was finally captured and arrested, where she revealed that she was the daughter of the original Woodpecker (her father's identity is not currently known, but presumably he was also a member of Sinister's Terrors).

Woodpecker is currently in prison, though whether she's remain there remains to be seen.
Height: 5' 4".
Weight: 108 lbs.
Eyes: Unrevealed.
Hair: Red.
Uniform: Blue bodysuit with a white pattern over the chest, short white gloves, yellow slippers, blue belt with a white buckle and several blue pouches, white half-mask with a large yellow "woodpecker" style nose. Her uniform is equipped with large glider wings that can extend to twice her arm-span at will.
Strength Level: Woodpecker possesses enhanced strength enabling her to lift (press) roughly half a ton under optimum circumstances.
Known Superhuman Powers: In addition to her enhanced strength, Woodpecker possesses enhanced speed, agility, reflexes, senses, durability, and stamina. Her reflexes are such that she can dodge gunfire with ease, to the point of seeing bullets in flight. Her leg musculature is such that she can perform incredible leaps; she's been shown covering a distance of 60 feet in one leap.

Woodpecker's durability is greater than that of a normal human; however, she is not bulletproof. She is able to withstand a greater amount of damage from most sources than normal and can recover faster from most injury than normal. Because of her superhuman physique, she has increased resistance to toxins, and generates only half as many fatigue toxins as a normal athlete.

Most importantly, however, Woodpecker's neck muscles are such that she is able to move her head back and forth at superhuman speed with incredible force.
Other Abilities: Woodpecker is a skilled gymnast and thief. She is a skilled yet unorthodox hand to hand combatant. She is also able to nearly perfectly replicate the staccato laugh from that cartoon bird she took her alias and motif from.
Weapons and Paraphernalia: Woodpecker's "beak" on her mask is outfitted with a superhard mono-edged tip, rumored to be adamantium, enabling her to use the beak, when combined with her ability to move her head back and forth at superhuman speeds, to punch through almost any surface. Her uniform's underarm wings enable her to glide for short distances.

906 points
Attributes: ST 15/25 [0*]; DX 14/16 [80†]; IQ 10 [0]; HT 14 [40].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d+1/2d+1 (2d+2/5d-1); BL 45 lbs. (125 lbs.); HP 15 [10]; Will 12 [10]; Per 14/18 [20‡]; FP 14/20 [0§]; Basic Speed 7.50 [0]; Basic Move 7 [0]; Basic Air Move 15 [0]; Dodge 14.
Languages: English (Native) (Native Language) [0].
Cultural Familiarities: Western [0].
Advantages: Appearance (Attractive) [4]; Combat Reflexes [15]; Enhanced Dodge 3 (Passive Biological, -5%) [43]; Enhanced ST +5/15 (Super-Effort, +400%; Passive Biological, -5%) [197]; Enhanced Time Sense (Upgraded from Combat Reflexes, -15; Passive Biological, -5%) [29]; Extra Attack 2 (Single Attack: Nose Pecking, -20%; Biological, -10%) [35]; Extra DX +2 (Passive Biological, -5%) [38]; Extra Fatigue Points +6 (Passive Biological, -5%) [18]; Extra Perception +4 (Passive Biological, -5%) [19]; Fit [5]; Flexibility [5]; Flight (Controlled Gliding, -45%; Gadget/Breakable: DR 4*, SM -3, -30%; Gadget/Can Be Stolen: Forcibly Removed, -10%; Switchable, +10%; Winged, -25%) [8]; Huge Piercing Attack 3d×4 (Armor Divisor (10), +200%; Gadget/Breakable: DR 5, SM -6, -25%; Gadget/Can Be Stolen: Forcibly Removed, -10%; Melee Attack: Cannot Parry, -5%; Melee Attack: Reach C,1, -20%; Biological, -10%) [221]; Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction /2) (Passive Biological, -5%) [47]; Regeneration (Fast: 2 FP/min) (Fatigue Only, +0%; Passive Biological, -5%) [48]; Super Jump (Biological, -10%) [18].
Disadvantages: Code of Honor (Criminal's) [-5]; Greed (12) [-15]; Impulsiveness (9) [-15]; Odious Personal Habit (That Staccato Laugh!) [-10]; Pacifism (Cannot Kill) [-15]; Social Stigma (Criminal Record) [-5]; Wealth (Struggling) [-10].
Quirks: Fast Talker [-1]; Flamboyant [-1]; Flirtatious [-1]; Loud Voice [-1].
Skills: Acrobatics (H) DX+0 [4] – 16; Aerobatics (H) DX+0 [4] – 16; Area Knowledge (Detroit) (E) IQ+2 [4] – 12; Artist (Woodworking) (H) IQ+0 [4] – 10; Brawling (E) DX+2 [4] – 18; Climbing (A) DX+2 [1] – 18#; Computer Operation/TL8 (E) IQ+0 [1] – 10; Connoisseur (Jewelry) (A) IQ+2 [8] – 12; Escape (H) DX+2 [2] – 18#; Filch (A) DX+0 [2] – 16; Forced Entry (E) DX+2 [4] – 18; Jumping (E) DX+2 [4] – 18; Lifting (A) HT+0 [2] – 14; Observation (A) Per-1 [1] – 17; Photography/TL8 (A) IQ+1 [4] – 11; Running (A) HT+0 [2] – 14; Savoir-Faire (Mafia) (E) IQ+2 [4] – 12; Search (A) Per+0 [2] – 18; Stealth (A) DX+0 [2] – 16; Streetwise (A) IQ+2 [8] – 12; Swimming (E) HT+0 [1] – 14; Wrestling (A) DX+0 [2] – 16.
Starting Spending Money: $2,000 (20% of Starting Wealth).

* Includes +5/15 from Enhanced ST.
† Includes +2 from Extra DX.
‡ Includes +4 from Extra Perception.
§ Includes +6 from Extra Fatigue Points.
# Includes +3 from Flexibility.

Role-Playing Notes:
Woodpecker is a thrill-seeker who is in the business mainly for the kicks, with a tendency to rob jewelry stores and pawn shops rather than banks. Now that she's tussled with Nightangel, she may decide the two of them are foes who can challenge each other.

Design Notes:
1. Don't look for anyone named "Woodpecker" in any of the canon Marvel characters; she is a completely original character created specifically for the Reboot project.
2. Yes, Woodpecker takes her look and laugh from Woody Woodpecker (famously voiced by Mel Blanc).
3. I'm not really sure I have the rapid-fire nose-pecking power statted right. Right now it's a 12d (10) pi++ melee attack, which she can use three times per second. Suggestions for tweaking are always welcome!

Last edited by Phantasm; 12-29-2022 at 03:29 AM.

Tags
avengers, captain america, captain marvel, chandley, character creation, chargen, iron man, marvel, phantasm, supers, thor, x-men