Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 04-13-2021, 09:25 AM   #71
InexplicableVic

Default Re: What's next for the DFRPG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johansen View Post
Those armor charts would cause some fright checks.
Probably would be better for newbies if there was one chart for "full suit," and then a secondary chart showing it piecemeal.
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:04 PM   #72
LordMunchkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johansen View Post
There've been a couple times when D&D was really vulnerable and could have been replaced, the fall of TSR and the D&D fourth edition period.
Your first example was before my time but I lived through the second. D&D 4e didn't lose to a non-D&D game. It lost to a different version of D&D. Even, then "losing" is kind of an overstatement. It still did pretty well sales-wise. D&D 5e, meanwhile, is amazingly popular though that popularity is somewhat tempered by the weak release schedule.

Quote:
I think you could construct a version of GURPS that would do well in that kind of a situation but it wouldn't be The Dungeon Fantasy rpg. You'd need a simpler version that wouldn't scare off the casual gamers. The format of DFRPG is right but the mechanics wouldn't suit the wider market. Those armor charts would cause some fright checks.
I think coexistence is more tenable than competition. Barring WotC imploding and all it's staff getting abducted by aliens, it's pretty hard to imagine any game supplanting D&D in the near-future. I'd welcome a simplified version of DFRPG but I'm not sure it's necessarily a good thing. There's plenty of rules-lite dungeon games out there already competing in that niche. Further, what people consider "rule-lite" is highly subjective. A distinct subset of the people I hang around consider D&D 5e rules-heavy. Those that don't often like games with a bit more rules. 5e is sort of a middle ground where no one is happy but most people will agree to play.
LordMunchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:06 PM   #73
David Johansen

Oh probably, but a guy can dream, can't he?
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:38 AM   #74
borithan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMunchkin View Post
Those that don't often like games with a bit more rules. 5e is sort of a middle ground where no one is happy but most people will agree to play.
Someone I know said "5E is everyone's second favourite edition of D&D."
borithan is offline   Reply With Quote