Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-04-2022, 04:34 PM   #11
Willy

Default Re: auditing an old character

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Well, to repeat my primary point,

The Basic Set provides explicit rules for learning on the job.
To repeat my point, I know this rules and I said they are good. Which means that I read them before posting, just to be sure.

I reacted to your point that it was a discussion between you and Dr. Kromm to avoid unrealistic high skill levels via time use sheets and learning on the job.

Simply the most relevant is on P 293 Basic Set, to be short you get 2,5 points via learning on the job per year, if working full time but not more. The rest is repeating this rules. There is no other limit in the Basic Set for learning on the job.

In fact a PC just working and doing nothing else can get in 40 work years 100 CP to spent on job related skills, which automatically lead to bigger than life skills if spent on a narrow spectrum of skills. It would be 25 skill levels on top of what he had before starting with his job.

So you can have a PC who was build as an adventurer, worked for decades in a job fulltime, at best in a adventuring related job, and gets now 25 jobrelated skill levels on top? Whatever profession he had, he would be over the top in a handful of skills. Even if he was just working for 30 years to avoid the age disadvantage, you can do a lot with this 75 CP. Which you surely know better than I.

And there is no cap for how many years you will still get your CP for just working. How much skill would an elf get for 200 years working full time as a bow maker?

That was why I suggested the alternative rules in the post.
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:41 PM   #12
Inky

Is this a language issue? "Ruled out" in English means "eliminated" or "against the rules". Did you actually mean "spelled out in the rules"?
Old 07-04-2022, 05:20 PM   #13
Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
Is this a language issue? "Ruled out" in English means "eliminated" or "against the rules". Did you actually mean "spelled out in the rules"?
Uups! That seems to be the problem, yes I wanted to say spelled out in the rules.

Thank you!
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 05:40 PM   #14
Inky

No problem. Suddenly realised what was going on there! Mystery solved :-D
Old 07-04-2022, 06:21 PM   #15
jacobmuller

Work experience doesn't necessarily improve your work related skills.
It can result in higher Attribute scores and even unrelated skills. A lot of the time spent is uncountable in GURPS terms.

Some examples from my current job:
I have to "pin" compactors. Pins are 18-24"x1" L shape. Back when I started I'd walk 2 pins over. Now I carry 4. Lifting skill & ST.
Neighbour had a moss problem - I used a hoeing trick from work to fix it. Hoeing isn't part of my job. Gardening hobby skill?
I also now know the scent of marijuana, rotting flesh, sewage,amongst other things. Perception familiarities?
I'm not great at throwing per se but I've thrown so many random things so many times... Technique, Hard?, Improvised Throwing, Throwing -2, limit Throwing.
Weather Sense skill - I work outdoors.
I know a couple of Polish, German, Spanish words but mostly it's translating accent/ culture/ attitude. I do a bit of Stand-up at the meet&greet keeping the queue happy, enough to say I'm a Mr Maisel. Nothing that would count as skills, maybe a Dabbler perk or two.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote