Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-13-2009, 11:48 AM   #11
blacksmith

Default Re: Kicking a grenade away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
Short-time lurker, first time poster here. Hi, all!

During my Warhammer 40k GURPS game last weekend, my players ran into a problem. A grenade-shaped one. One of the characters was just about to throw a grenade, when he was shot in the arm. He dropped the grenade, which was set to detonate in 2 seconds. He then tried to kick it away. A sensible thing to do, but I can't find any rules on it in the basic set.

I tried modeling it as an attack against a 3-inch object - it being inanimate, it wouldn't get any defence rolls. But that turned out to be nigh impossible to pull off for an untrained person, even with an all-out attack: effective skill would be DX-6 (-2 for a kick, -8 for size, +4 for all-out attack (determined)).
You could get another +3 or so from a telegraphed attack.
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:03 PM   #12
Ragitsu
Banned

Thank goodness for Martial Arts. Without it, characters could not kick grenades away.
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:06 PM   #13
RedMattis

Quote:
Originally Posted by yffub View Post
Since your foot is bigger than the grenade, I'd cap the size penalty to kick it at -4 (the to-hit penalty for a foot). You're not at -15 (or whatever) to stamp kick an ant after all.

Actually, I wouldn't apply any size penalty if you put your foot next to the grenade and then lob it, although that might require a Ready action.

Otherwise I'd echo what everyone else is saying about using Throwing-2 or DX-2. I'd allow +2 to ST for the purpose of determining range.
I'd do the same. Add telegraphic attack and you've got a DX/skill +0 roll to hit.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:31 PM   #14
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMattis View Post
I'd do the same. Add telegraphic attack and you've got a DX/skill +0 roll to hit.
If you have the time you could evaluate the grenade for more bonus.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:43 PM   #15
SuedodeuS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yffub View Post
Since your foot is bigger than the grenade, I'd cap the size penalty to kick it at -4 (the to-hit penalty for a foot). You're not at -15 (or whatever) to stamp kick an ant after all.

Actually, I wouldn't apply any size penalty if you put your foot next to the grenade and then lob it, although that might require a Ready action.

Otherwise I'd echo what everyone else is saying about using Throwing-2 or DX-2. I'd allow +2 to ST for the purpose of determining range.
Unless you're hitting with the side of your foot, the part you need to hit the grenade with isn't much larger than the grenade, so I'd stick with the normal penalty. Hitting with the side would probably give a damage (and thus distance) penalty. The ant example is a good one, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragitsu View Post
Thank goodness for Martial Arts. Without it, characters could not kick grenades away.
I think "bonus for stationary object" was a concept people thought up before MA, and "bonus for height" is something I thought up without even thinking of MA (then realized MA had something similar, and went to check it). MA just gives us the numbers, rather than requiring a GM to come up with them on his own. To kick a grenade/ball/whatever, I'd personally probably just have the character roll against DX or Brawling (or appropriate Hobby skill).

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith View Post
If you have the time you could evaluate the grenade for more bonus.
Evaluate doesn't stack with Telegraphic Attack (although I don't see a problem with allowing it to do so). More importantly, however, if you have time to Evaluate you'll have time to reach down and pick the damn thing up and throw it.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:48 PM   #16
Ragitsu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedodeuS View Post
I think "bonus for stationary object" was a concept people thought up before MA, and "bonus for height" is something I thought up without even thinking of MA (then realized MA had something similar, and went to check it). MA just gives us the numbers, rather than requiring a GM to come up with them on his own. To kick a grenade/ball/whatever, I'd personally probably just have the character roll against DX or Brawling (or appropriate Hobby skill).
Actually, that tongue-in-cheek bit was referring to Telegraphic/telegraphed Attack.
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:51 PM   #17
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedodeuS View Post
Evaluate doesn't stack with Telegraphic Attack (although I don't see a problem with allowing it to do so). More importantly, however, if you have time to Evaluate you'll have time to reach down and pick the damn thing up and throw it.
I was making a point about how different it is to simply kick somethat that is just dropped by you and planning and stepping up and kicking something that you can just simply kick.

In the latter you might be able to use forced entry for more dammage as well to kick it farther.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #18
TheGnome

I personally see a another problem other than kicking it. The grenade was set to 2 second fuse right? Well 1 second is going to get lost in the attempt to kick. So is a 1 second flight time long enough to get that pineapple away from you or do you have one foot in the grave?
TheGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:41 PM   #19
jacobmuller

Didn't see any mention of wound shock. Also, what's the terrain?
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:45 PM   #20
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith View Post
I was making a point about how different it is to simply kick somethat that is just dropped by you and planning and stepping up and kicking something that you can just simply kick.

In the latter you might be able to use forced entry for more dammage as well to kick it farther.
Unless you can get it into another room or something you're probably screwed. Although just getting it farther from you then dropping to the ground might be enough to save you.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grenade, kick, skill