Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 05-06-2021, 09:23 AM   #1
Anders

Default Anyone else use Campfire?

Campfire Blaze is an online app for writing and worldbuilding for TTRPG. I found it a week ago or so and I think I'm in love. There are separate modules for magic systems, species, personal relationship maps, philosophies, religions, etc. and you only have to subscribe or buy the modules you're actually going to use. Has anyone else tried this and what was your experience?
Old 05-10-2021, 03:30 AM   #2
panton41

Default Re: Anyone else use Campfire?

I've seen it before and it's really for fiction writers, not TTRPGs. I didn't dig deeper than their website's PR stuff but it didn't look appealing. I wouldn't trust some random cloud-based startup to keep my files available should they fold (more of a when than an if, statistically) and it really didn't look that much more useful than Microsoft OneNote with writing-focused templates.

I imagine their standalone desktop version they pinky promise is still coming out is going to be some sort of unholy ElectronJS based program that'll use 8GB of RAM and peg four cores at 100% to do what proper program can do in 200MBs while sitting idle.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:47 AM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

When I saw this thread I thought I'd try it. So far, the interface seems clunky: If I want to write a note about an NPC, instead of writing the details next to their name, I have to create the appropriate kinds of notes, then write the details. Maybe its just a learning curve, but it seems a little slow and heavy for what I'm doing. At least so far.

The use case is trying to set up a murder mystery in a knockoff imperial Chinese court about to have a succession crisis, so its a fairly heavy scenario that should theoretically benefit from blaze.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:22 PM   #4
Luke Bunyip

I checked it out a couple of months ago, got confused by the UI, and then forgot about it.

You've spurred me into a reappraisal.

Tags
game aids