Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-02-2021, 01:22 PM   #31
naloth

Default Re: Request for Feedback on Warhammer 40,000 Handbook

Lumbering seems like a good adjective for Ogryn. They might even be a bit clumsy compared to humans, which are a step below humans. If I were making and adaptation, I'd probably use this as a starting point:

IG: 10s with bonuses based on the type of world. Anyone that survives to make officer has better stats (and often bionics).

Space Marines (baseline, just graduated from scout/trainee): ST+10, DX+4, IQ+2, HT+4, SM+1. Experienced marines will have better stats, lots of skill training, and the best equipment the Imperium can muster.

Ogryn: ST+16, DX-1, IQ-2, HT+2, SM+2.

Eldar: DX+4, Perfect Balance. Eldar have high tech. Aspect warriors have training that exceeds marine levels in some areas.

Ork boyz: ST+2, HT+4, Regeneration (slow).
Ork nobz: ST+10, HT+6, Regeneration (slow).

Last edited by naloth; 05-02-2021 at 01:49 PM.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:08 PM   #32
Fennefell

Revision 2. Fixed minor errors, added section on Astra Militarum vehicle weapons, added section on Astartes armor modification as optional rules, changed LC to RC throughout document.

Remaining work:

Inquisitor section, 2-4 pages.
Officio Assassinotorum section, 3-6 pages.
Adepta Sororitas section, 2-4 pages.
Bestiary, 5-10 pages.

Potential sections (if I have time):

Astartes vehicles, 3-4 pages.
Astra Militarum regiments, 2 pages.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-Xr..._7xYIQq-e/view

Thank you for the feedback.

Last edited by Fennefell; 12-27-2022 at 05:17 AM.
Fennefell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 11:47 PM   #33
Bobcloclimar

Couple minor comments:
- The power field rules state that it damages all weapons that it touches. Shouldn't this exclude other power/force weapons?

- One thing I liked about the Inquisitor ruleset was that power fists had an alternate attack mode for simply grabbing and crushing a target. Maybe consider letting PFs count as +1 SM for the purposes of grappling?

- Inquisitor also let PFs count double damage for knockback purposes, but I can see restricting that to the thunder hammers/mauls.

- The mundane PF has a note stating that it grants extra DR/Arm Str, but the Astartes version does not (unlike the chainfist and lightning claws).

- IIRC, Fury interceptors also had an enginseer as part of the crew, due to the complexity of running the voidcraft. I think this may be one of those things that varies by author.
Bobcloclimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:48 AM   #34
Fennefell

Thank you for the feedback. All points taken.

Revision notes:

- Switch all power weapons note and construction tips to specify force and power weapons are not affected by the power field effect.

- Add the relevant note to the Astartes power fist to grant extra ST.

From an adding things perspective, I don't see an issue with adding +1 SM to power fists, I think that would be in line with their usage and encourage grappling alongside the arm ST.

- Add +1 SM only for grappling to power fists and chain fists.

I want to limit the number of melee weapons that have double knockback, as knockback is applied regardless of DR. I'm generally in favor of knockback in my games, but I want to ensure that an Astartes vs Astartes fight only consists of 1-2m of knockback on hits with weapons not in the axe/mace category. Adding double knockback to the power fist would allow 2-3 yards of knockback relatively easily, so I'm going to stray away from it, but I think it's on the edge of what I'd allow. I think I might leave a note that it would be appropriate to add this in as a Game Master for certain games.

For the Fury Interceptor, could you source that for me? I've looked for a little bit, and I can't find a reference to an engiseer being on board, but I haven't read too many 40k novels, so I might be missing some finer details by browsing through wikis.
Old 11-29-2021, 03:48 AM   #35
warellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fennefell View Post
For the Fury Interceptor, could you source that for me? I've looked for a little bit, and I can't find a reference to an engiseer being on board, but I haven't read too many 40k novels, so I might be missing some finer details by browsing through wikis.
I've only seen mention they can hold up to 4 crewmembers: From Warriors of Ultramar
Spoiler:  

Last edited by warellis; 09-13-2023 at 10:28 PM.
warellis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:11 AM   #36
Bobcloclimar

Re: Furies, I honestly couldn't say. I remember looking for some details about the size of a Fury about a decade ago and found lots of unsourced, contradictory and/or speculative information, so this may have come from that dive. I haven't read too many of the novels (although I do remember the bit warellis cites from Warriors of Ultramar), so it's possible it was a throwaway line or background detail from some of the older comics.
Bobcloclimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 03:32 PM   #37
Kesendeja

I do have a question, do you plan on doing the xenon races as pc's?
Old 11-30-2021, 01:10 AM   #38
Fennefell

Thank you for looking into the Fury Interceptor thing and sourcing things for me. Much appreciated.

I am planning on adding basic racial templates for some Xenos races (likely the big ones) as part of the Bestiary, if players wish to play them. I will also add basic stats for their relevant weapons as well, but I will likely not write an armory for each race. What you will likely see is 1-4 pges for each Xenos race listing a basic racial template, and 5-15 units that you might encounter in the field, with their equipment and stats listed in very basic form.
Old 11-30-2021, 03:02 AM   #39
warellis

How would you design, and classify, the Custodes in your 40K GURPS Handbook, considering the expense of their gear and the fact they're more individually crafted compared to Space Marines?

For example, their power armor is some of the best the Imperium has.

As I understand it, they were able to keep much of the technological treasures the Emperor uncovered on Earth for themselves, and their gear and such is built by essentially their own personal workshops instead of by the Mechanicus like practically everyone else.

An example of their speed and reaction time:
Spoiler:  

Last edited by warellis; 11-30-2021 at 03:24 AM.
warellis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 01:50 PM   #40
Fennefell

Quote:
Originally Posted by warellis View Post
How would you design, and classify, the Custodes in your 40K GURPS Handbook, considering the expense of their gear and the fact they're more individually crafted compared to Space Marines?

For example, their power armor is some of the best the Imperium has.

As I understand it, they were able to keep much of the technological treasures the Emperor uncovered on Earth for themselves, and their gear and such is built by essentially their own personal workshops instead of by the Mechanicus like practically everyone else.
I likely will not. The highest strata of power I am representing here, outside of vehicles and bestiary entries, are the Adeptus Astartes. The Adeptus Custodes are, within themselves, a lost cause to represent, as they have very little standardized equipment, set power levels, or attributes outside of being somewhere between Astartes and Primarchs in power level. I may make a basic bestiary entry for a Custodes at some point, but the only real advice I have if people want to play Adeptus Custodes is to find a different system, as GURPS will not handle that level of power particularly well. I don't think I can build something in GURPS that would mechanically work and get across the fantasy of being a Custodes, and not be an absolute nightmare to run as a Game Master.