Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > The Gnomes of Zurich > The Industry

Old 05-24-2022, 01:06 PM   #1
Anders

Default Free League's Kickstarter

The Free League has pulled in $1,5M on their Blade Runner game and they still have 48 hours left. They have 13 784 backers. Their most profitable kickstarter was the One Ring 2nd edition ($1,7M and 16,596 backers). It's nice to see that a Swedish company is doing well. What does this say about the state of the industry? Is it a matter of getting popular franchises and a reputation for reliability? Is there something SJG and GB can learn from them?
Old 05-25-2022, 02:17 PM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Free League's Kickstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
The Free League has pulled in $1,5M on their Blade Runner game and they still have 48 hours left. They have 13 784 backers. Their most profitable kickstarter was the One Ring 2nd edition ($1,7M and 16,596 backers). It's nice to see that a Swedish company is doing well. What does this say about the state of the industry? Is it a matter of getting popular franchises and a reputation for reliability? Is there something SJG and GB can learn from them?
Both of these are properties with a lot of non-canon story potential (Blade Runner more than One Ring, but only slightly). And they're huge. Tolkien is, of course, Tolkien. Blade Runner (and Philip K Dick's 1968 story/novel that inspired it) benefits from two big-screen movies that transcend the usual suspects in terms of "niche audience."

Looking at Kicktraq, though I try not to (it's not terribly good for predictions), their first day was just outrageously good, which speaks to excellent product awareness. This looks like a mailing list and marketing win to me.

8,000 backers and over $100 per pledge on Day 1. That's not "runaway success" nor is it "networking effect." With 22 hours to go, they're seeing a very, very slight surge.

I'm not sure if "start with a three-day total of over 10,000 backers" is something of a lesson I can learn.

...but I'd sure like to.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 06:55 AM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Free League's Kickstarter

One thing that Free League has done is giving a very structured framework for campaigns. Their version of Twilight 2000 is bulity around hexcrawl rules. Blade Runner is built around a mystery-in-a-box format.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
free league, kickstarter