Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-02-2022, 08:06 AM   #21
lugaid

Default Re: [GRITTY REALISM]Proposed House Rule Modifying Skill Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
You're missing that this is onerous record keeping to a lot of folks.
I don't think I did miss that. I think, in fact, that I addressed those people specifically in that comment, explaining why that particular argument doesn't need to be brought up here.

Quote:
You're also missing that Duty is already a GURPS disad that covers this issue less annoyingly.

Convert your chart to some frequency numbers for a "Needs to practice" version of the Duty disad, with temporary skill level related consequences for ditching practice.
That does sound like a great way to handle things at your table. I'm more interested in the other method. Perhaps I was unclear that I was asking for things more like any mathematical or procedural errors in the method rather than philosophical differences about what sorts of play are of interest to a particular group? Thank you for taking the time to make that suggestion, though. Hopefully it will help someone out in their game.
lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 08:13 AM   #22
lugaid

Default Re: [GRITTY REALISM]Proposed House Rule Modifying Skill Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
GURPS be like that, sometimes, but if you wanted it to be realistic you could drop the threshold way down, starting at attribute + 1.
As a matter of fact, the method I'm proposing does drop the intense maintenance threshold down (from att+10 to att+5). I didn't include the information about lower Skill levels because that's already part of the (optional) rule in the Basic Set, which as noted is on p. 294 if you want to take a look at it. Do you think that there should be more stringent restrictions than the ones in that rule plus these proposed alterations, and if so why and to what degree exactly?
lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gritty, house rules, skill maximums