Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-17-2018, 12:06 PM   #11
JLV

Default Re: TFT Extra #1 - Pit Trap Plant

Boy, go down for a day, and miss all kinds of things!

Just wanted to say that this is a really nifty creature idea! Plus, it helps add to the plants part of the bestiary -- something I always felt we were a bit short on back in the day.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:31 PM   #12
Jim Kane
Banned

Could we get a description of where this plant is usually found in the wild by Climate/Region; and if it is seasonally affected by going dormant in winter or not?

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:08 PM   #13
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Sure, I could probably generate a whole book about the natural history of the pit trap plant, but you don't need me for that, and it would not be fun for me to do it. Maybe it goes dormant on Wednesdays. There has to be room for the GM's creativity, and he should not be choked with detail that he might not use.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:25 PM   #14
David Bofinger

So the little ones are nuisances: if you don't see them you might step in and take some minor inconvenient injury. Unfortunately it's an injury that TFT can't easily describe, not sure how to address that.

The big ones will kill you if you fail both your IQ roll to notice and your DX roll to fall on your feet, unless outsiders somehow intervene. (It's not clear how ... do they have to jump in with you and make their own DX roll? That might be a way to find out who your real friends are.)

If you pass the DX roll you get 5/ST rolls to escape ... I'm unclear how often you're allowed to make those, perhaps the implication is once an hour? I would also imagine you could cut yourself free, assuming you have an appropriate tool, which I think nearly all adventurers would.

All in all it seems like an acceptable nuisance trap. But it's too realistic, and hence too passive, to make an interesting threat. There's also a good deal of ambiguity. To me the most intriguing thought is that it might be dangerous for friends to provide assistance. I would develop that aspect.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:39 PM   #15
David Bofinger

If Steve is listening to requests for new content, I would like to see Mnoren relics developed. Things like:
  • The Mnoren equivalent of the royal corgis in Life After People: creatures the Mnoren created in a desperate attempt to stave off fatal ennui, which have proved adaptable enough to survive without their creators.
  • Technology the Mnoren used for some purpose which has proved possible to repurpose, at least in the area it operates.
  • What it would be like to fight a Mnoren gardening robot, that thinks you are walking on the grass that died a century ago.

Of course a lot of Mnoren technology would have been only usable by a Mnoren, and a lot of it would have been destroyed or worn out or been shut down by Mnoren who suicided or destroyed in battles between Mnoren. But a few examples of the more common encounters might flesh out, not the Mnoren, who are gone, but their footprint on Cidri.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:47 AM   #16
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
But it's too realistic, and hence too passive, to make an interesting threat.
Clearly, you've not been running from a pack of goblins at night and blindly fallen into a pit trap plant. Do your friends stop to help you, facing overwhelming odds as dozens of goblins move in, or do they leave you to fend for yourself? (We also call that, "Thanks for acting as a distraction!")
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:55 AM   #17
David Bofinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Clearly, you've not been running from a pack of goblins at night and blindly fallen into a pit trap plant.
I admit my experience of that particular situation is not extensive.

On the other hand, it sounds like you assume the goblins are happy to run through a pit plant forest at night. From which I infer you have never been a goblin who fell into one.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:27 AM   #18
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
I admit my experience of that particular situation is not extensive.

On the other hand, it sounds like you assume the goblins are happy to run through a pit plant forest at night. From which I infer you have never been a goblin who fell into one.
Didn't you hear? This particular tribe of goblins knows these woods well. All of them have lived here their entire lives, and the pit trap gardeners are careful to dig out and replant any pit traps that sprout in places _not_ on the official records. Decades of careful attention have transformed the forest into the goblin greens where they can lure prey into the traps and then wait for nature to run its course.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:31 AM   #19
ColBosch

Perhaps they've put up subtle Goblin signs to remind each other where the pit trap plants lie, allowing PCs who have studied the race a bonus to see the plants.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:51 AM   #20
Ronald

The goblins are sensitive to pheromones released by the pit trap plant and can avoid them, even if blinded. They can also perceive when there is a victim in a nearby pit by emissions from the plant and sometimes treat the plants with unwanted prisoners.
Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extras