Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-02-2022, 03:48 PM   #1
Plane

Default are all alchemy elixirs obviously either protective or for empowering/enhancing?

Pg 220 of Magic classifies them into these two groups which affect which type of charm you can change the elixir into:

"protective" elixirs can be changed into always-on "amulet" items whereas "empowering" elixirs which "enhance" instead can be changed into "talisman" items which have a limited single use of usual duration and just get the benefit of auto-recharging in the time it'd usually take to brew a new elixir (minus the recurring time/expense which you're paying upfront)

The only examples of what is limited to being a talisman are Charisma and Luck. If not for that I might've thought either of these were 'protective' and thus "amuletable" since they protect you from bad reactions (charisma) and bad rolls (luck)

So I'm trying to figure out just how restrictive the idea of "protection" is. Are there other abilities one might assume had protective applications that would also be restricted to just talismans and not perma-amulets?

I'm also wondering if these were intended to be always mutually exclusive (an elixir can only ever be 1 of these two things, not "either") or if some protective/empowering spells could be made as either thing.

The only advantage in such a case I can see is that Talisman-empowered durations would last for that full duration even if you had the Talisman stolen (ie someone steals your Invulnerability necklace off your neck) whereas an Amulet you'd immediately lose your protection.

Seems like since Amulet is usually much better, allowing anything eplicitly Amulet-legal to be Talismanned wouldn't be gamebreaking, whereas vice versa it could get very broken fast.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 05:01 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: are all alchemy elixirs obviously either protective or for empowering/enhancing?

Death and dragonslaying are neither.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 11:12 AM   #3
Plane

Default Re: are all alchemy elixirs obviously either protective or for empowering/enhancing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Death and dragonslaying are neither.
I guess you could consider them "empowering" and a means of suicide if the wearer of a charm wants to harm themself?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alchemy, amulet, elixir, protective, talisman