Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Forum Feedback and Help

Old 08-15-2021, 07:44 PM   #1
trechriron

Default Forum Profile Fields - A tad outdated?

Might we get an updated set of "instant messenger" fields replaced with a set of "social media" fields with relevant current options (like Twitter, Facebook, Linked In, Twitch, Instagram, et al)? It might help increase the GURPS social media presence as we all follow one another... :)
My Blog
trechriron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 02:05 AM   #2
Fufu

Default Re: Forum Profile Fields - A tad outdated?

SJGames are probably utilizing other social media platforms. The official forums have not been update for approximately 7 years.
Fufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:14 AM   #3
acmegamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trechriron View Post
Might we get an updated set of "instant messenger" fields replaced with a set of "social media" fields with relevant current options (like Twitter, Facebook, Linked In, Twitch, Instagram, et al)? It might help increase the GURPS social media presence as we all follow one another... :)
That indeed would be a nice improvement and along with that improving the forums security to https as well.
acmegamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:56 AM   #4
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

It is indeed outdated, and you're not the first to notice. However, iirc, whenever this comes up, it is explained that the forum software has been customized from the package version to such an extent that it's very difficult to bring up to date with more recent versions, and doing something about it is sufficiently time consuming/costly that it's not a high priority.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:00 PM   #5
Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmegamer View Post
That indeed would be a nice improvement and along with that improving the forums security to https as well.
The forums *are* HTTPS...but some elements are not secure (most likely some banner images and the like - the usual sort of thing - but I haven't gone digging).
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:02 PM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
The forums *are* HTTPS...but some elements are not secure (most likely some banner images and the like - the usual sort of thing - but I haven't gone digging).
The forums appear capable of https, but if you come in http they won't redirect you.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:25 PM   #7
seaweedbrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
It is indeed outdated, and you're not the first to notice. However, iirc, whenever this comes up, it is explained that the forum software has been customized from the package version to such an extent that it's very difficult to bring up to date with more recent versions, and doing something about it is sufficiently time consuming/costly that it's not a high priority.
I always understood that the version that the forums use is toned down as in a lot of the current software's features aren't/wouldn't be used due to the atmosphere that the mods want to curate as compared to other forums. Almost a minimalist. But my understanding may be incorrect or out of date.

Features like emojis, gifs, embedding images and things like that.
Old 09-16-2021, 02:21 PM   #8
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

E-moji support seems to be hit and miss. Some of them get displayed as missing characters, but some could be seen in the posts (I remember bringing it up back when their presence was new and surprising here). This is (to the best of my understanding) because they're part of the symbol set / encoding / font and not of the forum software proper.
Old 09-19-2021, 05:47 PM   #9
Buzzardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The forums appear capable of https, but if you come in http they won't redirect you.
And the link on the SJG home page is HTTP, not HTTPS. That and the redirect should be easy things to fix.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote