Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
Genesis

Default One-armed revolver reloads (High Tech?)

One of my PCs is playing a one-armed bandit in an Old West-meets-Lovecraft style setting. He's got Gunslinger and a brace of appropriate skills. He wants to reload his .45 Peacemaker in battle.

How much pain should I give him for his [-20]?

High Tech suggests that the colt takes a while to reload anyway - it's got a gate mechanism (so you have to withdraw casings individually). The normal way to do this is to hold the gun and increment the barrels with one hand while fishing cartridges with the other... not conducive to a one-handed approach.

I've suggested that he could hold the gun between his knees while crouching - this would mean that any movement of posture change automatically drops the gun, but he could perhaps get close to a normal person's reload speed with practice (read: for a [1] perk).

Does anybody else have good ideas for modeling this?

Genesis
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
ErhnamDJ

Default Re: One-armed revolver reloads (High Tech?)

I seem to recall Roland of Gilead (from Stephen King's Dark Tower series) doing something similar. He had learned to reload his revolvers one-handed while firing them. But I can't recall whether those had swing-out cylinders or not.

The peacemaker can be modified in such a manner, though (I've seen similar modifications done on replicas of old black powder models).

I would say this is some type of special technique. I don't know what the penalty would be. I am not familiar enough with the custom techniques rules. I imagine it would be based on a number of factors. How much time to shave off. Roland was doing this very quickly in The Gunslinger. But... Stephen King isn't an expert on firearms operation. This is probably going to be cinematic if taken to that extreme.

Also, with custom equipment, he could probably get set up to do this rather quickly. If he had a swing-out cylinder put on, he could swing out the cylinder, put the pistol in a special holster, then load it with a speed loader, and draw it again. It wouldn't be as fast as a two handed person doing it, but it would still be pretty fast.

Last edited by ErhnamDJ; 03-24-2011 at 12:01 PM.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:01 PM   #3
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post

Does anybody else have good ideas for modeling this?

Genesis
Not exactly on point, but:

1. New York reloads, but of course, long before they got called such. Shoot the first one dry, drop it, draw another. One on the right hip, cross draw on the left-side, and on the left vest side as well! w00t! 18 shots! It's like a Glock! :-)

2. If someone clever can make a mechanism to hold the revolver in place and maybe even help with the gate, it would probably help.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #4
Comedian

Is his arm completely gone (like separated completely at the shoulder) or there still part of it left? If yes then he can tuck it into his armpit and reload like that, but it won't be easy nor fast. Other than that the new york reload is a good idea, and a technique used by many real world gun fighters that had use of both their arms. The solution that immediately comes to mind is to use a top break with an auto ejector (like the S&W number 3) and speed loaders, but even without speed loaders it will be massively faster than manually ejecting each round with the use of only one hand.
Comedian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:14 PM   #5
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Not exactly on point, but:

1. New York reloads, but of course, long before they got called such. Shoot the first one dry, drop it, draw another. One on the right hip, cross draw on the left-side, and on the left vest side as well! w00t! 18 shots! It's like a Glock! :-)
18 shots my aunt fanny.

Double hip holsters (one fast draw one cross draw)
Underarm Left
Small of Back....

Thats 24 shots to you doug...Raise or Fold
Old 03-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
Purple Haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchking View Post
18 shots my aunt fanny.

Double hip holsters (one fast draw one cross draw)
Underarm Left
Small of Back....

Thats 24 shots to you doug...Raise or Fold
What!?!?!? You don't have one in your boot?

And seven and eight shot revolvers are made.

Even nines and tens in smaller calibers.
Purple Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #7
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
What!?!?!? You don't have one in your boot?

And seven and eight shot revolvers are made.

Even nines and tens in smaller calibers.
Well in the late HT/embryo UT campaign I am playing in my Gunslinger is wearing...

Paired 15mm Auto Mag Caseless w/extended Mags (13sh each) for 26 rounds
either double shoulder covet or double hip fastdraw rig

Single 7.5 Caseless w/extended Mag (26sh) tucked in the ankle holster

to bring the total to 50.

Also have a fairly good FD Ammo and the Quick Reload and Aikimbo perks...<for good chance of zero time reloads>

but there is no such thing as to much ammo.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #8
Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
I seem to recall Roland of Gilead (from Stephen King's Dark Tower series) doing something similar. He had learned to reload his revolvers one-handed while firing them. But I can't recall whether those had swing-out cylinders or not.

The peacemaker can be modified in such a manner, though (I've seen similar modifications done on replicas of old black powder models).

I would say this is some type of special technique. I don't know what the penalty would be. I am not familiar enough with the custom techniques rules. I imagine it would be based on a number of factors. How much time to shave off. Roland was doing this very quickly in The Gunslinger. But... Stephen King isn't an expert on firearms operation. This is probably going to be cinematic if taken to that extreme.
Yeah, the Dark Tower series is a major inspiration for the campaign. I know Roland had his "reloading trick," and I worked with the PC developing one as a technique. Doing it like Roland does it is extremely cinematic - I'm trying to keep the PCs less superpowered than that. That said, I can imagine a fair technique for a modified Colt with a swing-out cylinder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
Also, with custom equipment, he could probably get set up to do this rather quickly. If he had a swing-out cylinder put on, he could swing out the cylinder, put the pistol in a special holster, then load it with a speed loader, and draw it again. It wouldn't be as fast as a two handed person doing it, but it would still be pretty fast.
The campaign is set in 1875 (more or less) which puts it before the invention of speed loaders. I specifically forbade them, in fact - I do want reloading to be a painfully slow, and dangerous in combat. Plus it gives the PCs a chance to engage in witty dialogue with their opponents while everyone takes 30 secs to reload!

The player has considered the 'New York'-style reload, but found it unsatisfying for dramatic reasons - the gun is Sig Gear, with Weapon Bond... it doesn't seem right that he'd drop it after 6 shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comedian
Is his arm completely gone (like separated completely at the shoulder) or there still part of it left? If yes then he can tuck it into his armpit and reload like that, but it won't be easy nor fast. Other than that the new york reload is a good idea, and a technique used by many real world gun fighters that had use of both their arms. The solution that immediately comes to mind is to use a top break with an auto ejector (like the S&W number 3) and speed loaders, but even without speed loaders it will be massively faster than manually ejecting each round with the use of only one hand.
His arm's been cut off at the shoulder - no armpit for him! I told him he could use a pistol with a top break and auto ejector - he planned on two guns, one with such a set-up, for a while - but the lure of 3d pi+ .45 shells was too great, and he's become wedded to the Colt.

I can't say I blame him - the gun's got powerful mojo in the genre.

As a provision we're discussing a technique that defaults to Guns-5 and lets him manipulate the gun and the shells with one hand up to the bandolier on his chest. It'll still take (5i) to reload, though... I'm of half-a-mind that it's too generous.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #9
Comedian

A few companies made 20 shot revolvers with over under barrels and a staggered cylinder configuration.
http://www.horstheld.com/0-HDH.htm
http://www.militaryfactory.com/small...allarms_id=315

Last edited by Comedian; 03-24-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Comedian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #10
borithan

Those guns are unforgivably ugly. Revolvers should have some style to them...
borithan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gun, high tech, high-tech, house rule, one hand, reload