Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-28-2013, 12:07 AM   #1
Johnny Angel

Default [DF] List of DF creatures?

Is there a list of all of the officially published Dungeon Fantasy creatures thus far? I don't need the stats; just a list of what creatures have been published, and where they are found.

Why am I looking for this? Three reasons:

1) It gives me an idea of what is already available when it comes time for me to create material for my home game. If I don't need to re-invent the sentient wheel-golem, I'd prefer not to. Even if I am sketching out something new, it can be helpful to just tweak an existing monster into a new purpose (Flame Lords becoming Ice Lords as an example.)

2) It helps me to better define things when I convert them from other games and when I make my own material. If a particular Pathfinder creature is described as being stronger than a troll, I can look at the DF troll and have some semblance of a benchmark to work from.

3) I'm sure there are some I don't have, and I'm looking to add to my collection of DF material.
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:01 AM   #2
nick012000

Default Re: [DF] List of DF creatures?

Well, for Dungeon Fantasy specifically, there's monsters in the adventures, of course, as well as DF2: Dungeons, DF5: Allies and DF9: Summoners, as well as NPCs in DF:10 Taverns and DF15: Henchmen. Outside of the DF line, there's also the critters in the Creatures of the Night series, a whole bucketload of dragons in GURPS: Dragons, and dinosaurs and prehistoric creatures in GURPS: Infinite Worlds: Lost Worlds.

Last edited by nick012000; 12-28-2013 at 02:25 AM.
nick012000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:31 AM   #3
mlangsdorf

You missed the monsters in Psi. Here's the names of every monster in every published DF supplement that I could find.

Dungeons:
* Acid Spider, as-Sharak, Crushroom, Dire Wolf, Doomchild, Erupting Slime, Flaming Skull, Flesh-Eating Ape, Foul Bat, Frost Snake, Giant Rat, Golem-Armor Swordsman, Horde Zombie, Mindwarper, Peshkali, Siege Beast, Stone Golem, Toxifier, Triger

Allies:
Several of these have sub-options that I'm too lazy to categorize.
* Natural Animals: Anaconda, Bear, Boar, Giant Eagle, Gorilla, Great Cat, Hound, Insect Swarm, Kangaroo, Kraken, Shark, Stallion, Wolverine
* Divine Servitor, Natural Servitor, Unholy Servitor
* Familiars: Bat, Cat, Chimp, Dog, Giant Spider, Hawk, Hellhound, Ice Weasel, Imp, Owl, Rabbit, Rat, Salamander, Shoulder Dragon, Sylph, Talus, Undine, Viper

Summoners:
Almost all of these have template options and can be written up as 1000+ different versions (an Air Elemental could be a Living Breeze or a Walking Fog Living Tornado Thunder-Child Spirit of the Clouds) with some work.
* Ghosts: Embodied Animal Spirit, Lesser Ghost, Major Ghost, Household Guardian, Spirit of Place
* Material Undead: Servitor Skeleton, Servitor Zombie
* Elementals: Air, Earth, Fire, Metal, Void/Sound/Ether, Water, Wood
* Spirits: Petty Demon, Devilkin, Standard Demon, Angelic Emissary

Psi:
* Aloakasa as-Sharak, Astral Hound, Astral Thing, Chaos Monk, Flying Squid Monster, Fuzzy, Neuroid, No_Brainer, Odifier

Monsters 1:
* Bronze Spider, Bugbear, Ciuacla, Corpse Golem, Demon From Between The Stars, Demon of Old, Dinoman, Draug, Electric Kelly, Eye of Death, Flame Lord, Giant Ape, Gladiator Ape, Horde Pygmy, Horrid Skull, Ice Wyrm, Karkadann, Leaping Leech, Lich, Obsidian Jaguar, Rock Mite, Slorn, Slugbeat, Sphere of Madness, Sword Spirit, Throttler, Troll, Undead Slime, Void Brute, Watcher at the Edge of Time

Mirror of the Fire Demon
* New Monsters: Angry Sands, Bounding Turtle, Burrowing Serpent, Dire Vulture, Flame Servant Demon, Flame Wasps, Nest Scorpion, Skeleton, Large Skeleton, Speeding Blade
* Worked Examples: Ogre, Orc Sergeant, Orc Shaman, Orc Soldier, Tough Orc Soldier

Human and Human(-ish) opposition can be worked up by combining the races in The Next Level with templates from Henchmen or any of the character books (Adventurers, the Next Level, Sages, Summoners, Clerics, Taverns, Ninja, Psi, or the various Pyramid issues that I'm not about to catalog here). There are worked examples of adventuring types in MotFD.

Finally, although Monster Hunter: Enemies is not officially part of the DF line, I know more than a few DF GMs raid it for boss monsters or mooks for high powered parties. It adds
* Undead: Ghosts, Mummies, Vampires, Zombies
* Spirits: Angels, Demons, Skin-Changers
* Living: Albino Alligators, Chupacabras, Lycanthropes

Someone who has more patience than me can go through the Pyramid articles.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick012000 View Post
Well, for Dungeon Fantasy specifically, there's monsters in the adventures, of course, as well as DF2: Dungeons, DF5: Allies and DF9: Summoners, as well as NPCs in DF:10 Taverns and DF15: Henchmen. Outside of the DF line, there's also the critters in the Creatures of the Night series, a whole bucketload of dragons in GURPS: Dragons, and dinosaurs and prehistoric creatures in GURPS: Infinite Worlds: Lost Worlds.
Also Dungeon Fantasy Monsters.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
Human and Human(-ish) opposition can be worked up by combining the races in The Next Level with templates from Henchmen or any of the character books (Adventurers, the Next Level, Sages, Summoners, Clerics, Taverns, Ninja, Psi, or the various Pyramid issues that I'm not about to catalog here). There are worked examples of adventuring types in MotFD.
I have these de-orcified here. They're the bandit entries.

For the record, the races are:

DF3: Cat-Folk, Coleopteran, Corpse-Eater, Dark One, Dwarf, Elf (Half-Elf, High Elf, Mountain Elf, Sea Elf, Shadow Elf, Winged Elf, Wood Elf), Faerie Folk (Faun, Leprechaun, Nymph, Pixie), Gargoyle, Gnome, Goblin-Kin (Goblin, Half-Orc, Hobgoblin, Orc), Half-Spirits (Celestial, Elder-Spawn, Infernal, Infused (Air-Infused, Earth-Infused, Fire-Infused, Water-Infused)), Halfling, Minotaur, Ogre (Half-Ogre), Reptilians (Dragon-Blooded, Lizard Man), Troll, Wildman.

Pyramid 3/50: Vampire (written up as a race); Giant Crab, Orcs (Sons of Sarn), Draco-Wasps, Abominable Snowman, Animated Snowman (these are written up as monsters, not races).

Pyramid 3/56: Caveman Hunters, Proto-Dragon King (Tyrannosaurus), Cave Shaman Ika-Loana, Oog the Bear Hunter (and Oog's Cave Bear Form), Primordial Purple Slime

I'm sure I'm missing some.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
Libertine

Something awful has a great DnD resource if you want to veer into the ridiculous.
Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
Johnny Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Something awful has a great DnD resource if you want to veer into the ridiculous.
I'm not opposed to ridiculous. I've given some thought to trying to come up with DF stats for Munchkin's Floating Nose.
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
Kalzazz

Theres Snowmen out there somewhere, which is awesome
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:27 PM   #9
Celjabba

And 'mailanka monster creator' is not official but too useful not to mention:

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=63730

Celjabba
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #10
Grouchy Chris

The GURPS wiki has a list of creatures by book, with DF monsters as well as others. The list includes some not listed by mlangsdorf above (but it doesn't include the monsters from Mirror of the Fire Demon).

The wiki also has a sortable list of published creatures, if you find that useful.

Tags
dungeon fantasy, lists, monsters