Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-24-2019, 12:47 PM   #21
naloth

Default Re: Only while moving limitation with Enhanced Move (Second-Nature)

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
With Second-Nature (or just Cosmic, complete maneuverability) and Enhanced Time Sense (basically a requirement for any speedster), the Enhanced Move speedster shouldn't ever have problems with navigation.
Sure, those advantages may help you read signs as you're whizzing by if there is good signage for where you need to go. They won't help you plot a course on a map, remember where your maps are, ask others for directions, or keep track of where the best pizza places are in a town.

Above and beyond that, yes ETS is necessary. I was watching the Flash the other day and a combination of Wait and ETS would allow him to engage his speed when he perceived things happening.

Warp will also need Encumbrance as an enhancement if the speedster is going to carry others. Yours doesn't need that, though he would suffer speed loss as the weight increased. It's kind of an interesting trade-off -> full speed with Warp but having to buy your limit *vs* any amount you can carry but decreasing your speed as your carry more.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:56 PM   #22
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
DF11p12 (Run and Hit) allows a Move maneuver to substitute for the Ready maneuver for fulfilling "Takes Extra Time" requirements, so allowing it to substitute for a Concentrate doesn't seem too far off.

Given that this has a benefit (you get to move more than the Step either a Ready or a Concentrate allows) the drawback should probably be that you MUST move more than 1 hex.
Ah, I don't have DF11. I'd have to read to see what this applies to. If you can optionally move instead of just doing a ready, it's a considerable benefit. Concentrate is often more than just "extra time" type thing. Most mental abilities use it to perform an action.

Quote:
If someone could do either (anything up to their full move, or stay in place) that'd probably be some kind of enhancement. Unless it was done like some kind of "Move and Ready" or "Move and Concentrate" where you got a penalty to your "attack" of -4 in exchange for getting added movement you can do before/after Warping that turn.
Right now, Warp can be your action at -5 or it can be done as a free action or defense at -10. Depending on where you apply the penalties you'll either come up very similar, presenting an option that's unattractive, or creating something that (unnecessarily) makes warp even better.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:56 PM   #23
AlexanderHowl

Warp is usually better if you are not slamming people. Warp (Accessibility, Only places character could eventually get to by climbing/swimming/walking, -20%; Blind, +50%; Can carry objects, Extra-Heavy, +50%; Cosmic, No die roll needed, +100%; Range Limited, 2 miles, -30%; Reliable, +10, +50%) [300]. The character is capable of moving at 2 miles per second (7200 mph) without needing to worry about acceleration, collisions, tripping, etc.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:17 PM   #24
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Warp is usually better if you are not slamming people. Warp (Accessibility, Only places character could eventually get to by climbing/swimming/walking, -20%; Blind, +50%; Can carry objects, Extra-Heavy, +50%; Cosmic, No die roll needed, +100%; Range Limited, 2 miles, -30%; Reliable, +10, +50%) [300]. The character is capable of moving at 2 miles per second (7200 mph) without needing to worry about acceleration, collisions, tripping, etc.
With the running you can see things in between, stop if something important comes up, etc. S much better for patrolling an area.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:24 PM   #25
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
With the running you can see things in between, stop if something important comes up, etc. S much better for patrolling an area.
ETS doesn't make you more observant. Running past an area at high speed won't convey anything that a long look at a picture covering less than a thousandth of a time interval will convey. I'd venture seeing such a short time frame would give you the wrong impression much of the time.

Patrolling is probably best done at subsonic speeds so you can hear screams for help, glass breaking, gunshots, etc. Either version can slow down enough to cover an area as necessary.

Detect: Crime seems like an interesting power... Perhaps you are just drawn to it.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:29 PM   #26
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I'm not sure No Die Roll needed really adds that much. It's easy to get to the magic 17+ roll such that a perk would eliminate rolls for 2 miles/sec if that's all you want.

No Die Roll also doesn't apply to Dodge, which presumably is why you still have Reliable +10 instead of just enough to keep the roll above a 3?
Old 10-24-2019, 09:36 PM   #27
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
ETS doesn't make you more observant. Running past an area at high speed won't convey anything that a long look at a picture covering less than a thousandth of a time interval will convey. I'd venture seeing such a short time frame would give you the wrong impression much of the time.

Patrolling is probably best done at subsonic speeds so you can hear screams for help, glass breaking, gunshots, etc. Either version can slow down enough to cover an area as necessary.

Detect: Crime seems like an interesting power... Perhaps you are just drawn to it.
How much you can see and understand with ETS is up for debate but its at least 24 pictures per second based on RAW. Your right about moving too fast, especially at supersonic speeds.

More relevant to my reasoning for EM (ground) having an advantage over Warp is that you actually traveled the area. If your going to miss something because your moving too fast you can slow down. Not an option with Warp.

As for the Detect, that would be up to special effect. Telepathy for example could work but thats a whole other power set.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:05 PM   #28
AlexanderHowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
I'm not sure No Die Roll needed really adds that much. It's easy to get to the magic 17+ roll such that a perk would eliminate rolls for 2 miles/sec if that's all you want.

No Die Roll also doesn't apply to Dodge, which presumably is why you still have Reliable +10 instead of just enough to keep the roll above a 3?
Assuming IQ 10, Reliable +10 gives an effective skill of 20. Instant Warp, allowing an attack before or after, is -10 to skill while 2 miles is -4 to skill, giving an effective skill 6. If you are doing Blind, you are using one second every warp, meaning that you cannot attack or defend if going at full speed.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:10 PM   #29
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
How much you can see and understand with ETS is up for debate but its at least 24 pictures per second based on RAW. Your right about moving too fast, especially at supersonic speeds.
Based on the fact that it requires a Sense roll to see bullets in the air (and even that's up to GM discretion), there does seem to be a soft cap at some point. It's still pretty high - I would say a few thousand FPS - but if you have high levels of Enhanced Move, it would still be several yards or more between "frames".
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 02:19 AM   #30
awesomenessofme1

Going back a bit to the original purpose of the thread, on the topic of Second-Nature, I was wondering something. Despite the fact that the text of Power-Ups 4 says it "replaces Basic Move for all purposes", Enhanced Move with Second-Nature is still treated as sprinting for the purposes of fatigue, right? The character I'm building has a feat in the backstory where she ran around the Earth at max speed without stopping, and I want to make sure her stats are plausible for that.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
second-nature, warp