Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-18-2010, 04:29 AM   #11
Icelander

Default Re: [Low-Tech] Windlass and cranequin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupo View Post
I think that everybody already understood that was your point. Since you appear to be so expert on cranequins, I think you could have said it straight in the first post... "I think cranequins in Low Tech are too light, they should weight more according to Payne-Gallwey"...
Payne-Gallwey is an Edwardian author. Hence I did not consider it improbable that the authors had found more modern scholarship discrediting some of his views.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:32 AM   #12
Icelander

Default Re: [Low-Tech] Windlass and cranequin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The formula for a windlass is 4s * (BL for rated bow ST) / (BL for wielder). If we assume that a crossbow with a rated ST of 10 is an 80 lb bow, which is at least believable, just go with 'poundage/BL seconds'. I have no idea why the weight of a windlass would vary significantly with its strength ratio in the first place, you adjust the strength ratio by just changing the ratio of shaft radius to arm radius. You need stronger structure (and cord) for a stronger bow, but the weight increase shouldn't be very large and in any case is only dependent on the draw weight of the bow.
I had considered making the time to span a function of BL, but I was not certain whether it was plausible that cocking devices made to take advantage of massive BL were common.

At least for cranequins, I figure that they have a rated MinST and being stronger than that will yield a very limited benefit.

Tags
ccoi, crossbows, low-tech