Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-21-2007, 12:01 PM   #11
Phil Masters

Default Re: Where the pike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller_Dog
Bill's write, a hypothetical low-tech book would cover both TL2 (pike warfare at it's finest), and TL4 (pike-and-shot), and would be a logical place to discuss pikes.
There are some large Swiss gentlemen and some rather surly looking Renaissance-era Spaniards out back here looking to discuss your definition of "finest"...
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:12 PM   #12
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

What the other guys said. A pike isn't a melee weapon in the conventional Basic Set or Martial Arts sense. At its heart it's more akin to caltrops, a tank obstacle, or razor wire, in that it's a defense used to impede mobility through a controlled area; it just happens to be more portable. The bulk of the killing is then done by other weapons -- in this case, bills, halberds, bows, crossbows, muskets, etc. The fact that some chap is holding onto the far end makes it look melee-weapon-ish, but use is closer to something like Explosives, Poisons, or Traps in nature, in that it's all about effective deployment, not parry, feint, and thrust.

In game terms, have a formation of soldiers roll against the higher of average Spear or average DX-based Soldier (at TL2-4), with either taking a -2 for unfamiliarity if they've never used pikes. Success means the pike formation holds up. As an individual combat weapon, it would be about a Reach 6 spear that can't parry, feint, resist feints, or disarm; that takes many turns to Ready after each attack; and that can only attack at all if the user took a Wait in order to Stop Thust, although you could generously allow a user to poke with it like a spear at about Spear-6 if he's just standing there.

The place for such rules is squarely in some putative Mass Combat book, though, and not Martial Arts. I think a martial-arts historian could make a good case for pike warfare only be a "martial art" inasmuch as artillery gunnery and logistics are "martial arts."
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:19 PM   #13
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
The place for such rules is squarely in some putative Mass Combat book, though, and not Martial Arts. I think a martial-arts historian could make a good case for pike warfare only be a "martial art" inasmuch as artillery gunnery and logistics are "martial arts."
Of course, by the basic definition of 'martial' (of or relating to war), I would say that artillery and logistics have a better claim than unarmed combat techniques.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:21 PM   #14
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony

Of course, by the basic definition of 'martial' (of or relating to war), I would say that artillery and logistics have a better claim than unarmed combat techniques.
Could be! But that's not how the term is used these days . . .
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:31 PM   #15
t@nya

Thanks Kromm. How come the pike can't feint, disarm, etc? Surely any object could be used to disarm someone if used correctly.
t@nya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:59 PM   #16
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by t@nya
How come the pike can't feint, disarm, etc?
Because it's too damn big and heavy. It's generally all one can do just to hold a pike or similarly long spear, let alone move it around with any force or accuracy.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:59 PM   #17
PK

The pike is something like 15-20 feet long. You don't use it by moving it around; you use it by planting it in the ground and holding it steady. It's really hard to disarm someone with a weapon that you don't actually move. :)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:03 PM   #18
t@nya

So a normal human couldn't use it to feint, disarm, etc. I'm assuming that someone with super strength could use it that way.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:06 PM   #19
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by t@nya
So a normal human couldn't use it to feint, disarm, etc. I'm assuming that someone with super strength could use it that way.
Sure, and GURPS Supers has guidelines for scaling up a longer weapon's weight, required ST, and thrust and swing damage. Do you have a copy of it?

I'm looking at doing a double length katana for one of my upcoming campaigns, for a Japanese super named Samebito. . . .

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:12 PM   #20
t@nya

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs
Sure, and GURPS Supers has guidelines for scaling up a longer weapon's weight, required ST, and thrust and swing damage. Do you have a copy of it?

I'm looking at doing a double length katana for one of my upcoming campaigns, for a Japanese super named Samebito. . . .

Bill Stoddard
Yeah I've got a copy around though I haven't read it in detail.

Tags
low-tech, weapons