Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-06-2019, 07:46 PM   #11
Anthony

Default Re: Super HP [Supers]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
But what are you going to spend FP on at the moment of injury?
You're going to spend it fulfilling the accessibility limitation...
Old 10-06-2019, 08:46 PM   #12
AlexanderHowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
You're going to spend it fulfilling the accessibility limitation...
You cannot take FP damage willy nilly, no more than you can take HP damage by willing it. You must have something that uses the FP and anything that you could do takes more than the instant required to take damage.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:08 PM   #13
Anthony

Quote:
You cannot take FP damage willy nilly
A) cite please
B) it's not willy nilly, it's a specified side effect of a power.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:10 PM   #14
Plane

Quote:
You have to activate those in advance though if you have Costs FP. They do not reflexively activate (unlike the Super HP).
If you could take Reflexive on switchable HP then couldn't you take Reflexive on switchable injury tolerance?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:59 PM   #15
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
If you could take Reflexive on switchable HP then couldn't you take Reflexive on switchable injury tolerance?
You run into the problem of "you're paying for an advantage to make the power worse".
Old 10-06-2019, 10:17 PM   #16
AlexanderHowl

The reflexive nature is part of the Super-Effort enhancement, it is not a separate enhancement. You do not need to spend an action to ready extra effort, and Super-Effort is the same way. For example, you can reflexively activate Super ST when attacked to reduce knockback because it is a reflexive aspect of Super-Effort.

In the case of having Reflexive on a normally passive power so that it can still be useful when it has to spend FP to active, you end up with a net +35% enhancement, which is not optimal or even sensible. Of course, there is no particular reason why you could not put Super Effort as a +400% enhancement to DR with Force Field. In that case, a character with DR 8 (Affects Others, +50%; Area Effect, 4 yards, +100%; Force Field, +20%; Hardened, +80%; Super, -10%; Super-Effort, +400%) [296] would normally have DR 8, but could reflexively spend 1 FP per minute to increase it to DR 50.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:20 AM   #17
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
There's nothing preventing taking IT(DR) or DR with a cost fatigue limitation, which will produce more generally coherent results.
I've done something similar* but for record keeping purposes I called it "backlash" since that happens when an ability is triggered.

*Similar meaning consequences for a defensive advantage being triggered. Not FP per IT:DR hit. It was an attempt to build various "Borderlands" style shields.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:09 AM   #18
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I don't think it makes much sense to say that you can make a heroic effort of will and withstand extra damage.
If you require comic book super powers to make sense, you end up with mostly lame super powers. The first Avengers had a scientist irradiated by a bomb, who should have just been dead or dying with radiation poisoning, a doctor who found a walking stick in a cave while on vacation, a rich man who put transistors, magnets, and roller skates in some iron armor, and a pair or researchers who discovered how ants communicate (but can't get them to do anything human-meaningful).

The difficulty I have with this power is game-mechanical; what happens to the increased hit points when fatigue expenditure ends? Does the injury scale when everything reduces? Then it's not too mechanically different from IT:DR with costs fatigue, except maybe for slam attacks...
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:31 AM   #19
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
If you require comic book super powers to make sense, you end up with mostly lame super powers. The first Avengers had a scientist irradiated by a bomb, who should have just been dead or dying with radiation poisoning, a doctor who found a walking stick in a cave while on vacation, a rich man who put transistors, magnets, and roller skates in some iron armor, and a pair or researchers who discovered how ants communicate (but can't get them to do anything human-meaningful).
I'm fine with accepting the tropes of the genre. But I don't see that "spend FP to make a heroic effort and gain increased ability to withstand damage" is one of the tropes of the genre.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:58 AM   #20
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I'm fine with accepting the tropes of the genre. But I don't see that "spend FP to make a heroic effort and gain increased ability to withstand damage" is one of the tropes of the genre.
My point is that the genre doesn't really have tropes when it comes to powers. Everything is on the table, no matter how ridiculous it sounds (and getting tired instead of hurt unless/until you fall unconscious seems conceptually simple compared to regular regeneration like Wolverine, getting tired while using a force field like Sue Richards, or increasing your total HP by using slugs which eat things and return the energy back to you a la Maggot, or increasing your total HP by getting angry like the Hulk). Comics are weird, and they try to make all powers unique with twists. The only tropes are in the story progressions or art styles.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supers