Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #31
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: GURPS Martial Arts: Technical Grappling is out

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
1. Roll a Fright Check
2. Don't sleep. Ever.
3. Just alter Bite Strength.
You'd never survive in my current game. I love making stuff up to creep out my players. Forget thee not the clowns. :-D

Also, thank you.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Old 09-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #32
Vynticator

Yay! Great news that it's out. Snagged a copy, will bring due mental attention to bear and leverage an opinion later. Currently don't know if its going to sweep me away or if I'll have to slam it :)
Old 09-05-2013, 10:33 PM   #33
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vynticator View Post
Yay! Great news that it's out. Snagged a copy, will bring due mental attention to bear and leverage an opinion later. Currently don't know if its going to sweep me away or if I'll have to slam it :)
Sweeps are covered. Slams and shoves, not so much. :-P
Old 09-05-2013, 11:45 PM   #34
lwcamp

Quote:
I'll have to check the playtest files (which I still have), but biting also does injury, where a hand grapple does not. That pain and shock impacts skill use (though not defenses).

The bit is more injurious and more painful than merely being grabbed. But the hand offers control and manipulation possibilities that chomping does not. I'd be hard pressed to slap on an inverted C-Lock with my teeth.
A bite may lack the finesse of a hand and arm, but those of natural biters can apply a lot of force, strength, and leverage for various techniques. Things that come to mind ...
(1) Biting animals tend to have very strong jaw closing muscles. Prying a clamped jaw off is much harder than breaking a hand's grip. Crocodillians are notorious in this regard (and with good reason, because they are the prime candidate for massive biting strength boosts), but I have vivid memories of a Nile monitor that hand clamped down on a pinch of skin on the back of one of my knuckles. No amount of muscular effort on my part or the person that was trying to help me could open those jaws until we finally managed to pry them off using a metal bar as a lever. I have had similar experinces with savanna monitors and boa constrictors (although the problem with snake's jaws is a bit different - they don't have the massive jaw strength, but do have very flexible skulls that are hard to detach all at once).
(2) The jaws of biting animals are connected to powerful neck, shoulder and torso muscles that can be used to twist, lever, and pin their prey. I have often seen this with my pet monitors, using their weight and neck and torso to execute pins on often fairly sizeable prey. Auffenberg has documented Komodo monitors executing bite-based pins and takedowns on goats of similar size (W. Auffenberg, "The Behavioral Ecology of the Komodo Monitor", 1981, University Presses of Florida). Crocodiles use the same muscles to perform wrench limb attacks by twisting their prey's limbs off. Owners of domestic dogs will be quite familiar with how they can grab, shake, and hold bite-toys, and when playing tug-o-war with a dog it is not trivial for a much larger human to pull the chew toy away from the dog even with both hands (at least, for normal sized dogs - I don't have experience with the smaller breeds).

Luke
Old 09-05-2013, 11:52 PM   #35
DangerousThing

Quote:
Tooting my own horn a bit: http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/M...icalgrappling/

I'm happy to answer any questions, though bear in mind that it's been a long time for ME too on this manuscript!
I've written a book before. I know how long the process is, even after it left my hands totally. But they had to print mine, and the cover was unspeakable (and no, there were no Ancient Ones in Linux Robotics, though I was insane enough by the end of the process).

And despite my earlier words, I will probably buy this as soon TG this week or bext and review it on my blog also.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:02 AM   #36
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp View Post
A bite may lack the finesse of a hand and arm, but those of natural biters can apply a lot of force, strength, and leverage for various techniques. Things that come to mind ...
Considering how humano-centric GURPS is, I think such factors would best be represented by advantages, rather than changing the way biting works for everyone and then giving humans a disadvantage. For example, perhaps crocodiles have Bite ST (Clamping only) which improves ST for holding on, but doesn't increase damage from the bite itself. Or you could go further, and treat their bite as a Constriction attack, effectively doubling the CP inflicted.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:28 AM   #37
Tomsdad

OK I'm the UK, saw it at breakfast, ordered over coffee, emailed it to work, printed it out, it's sitting in my draw, roll on getting the kids in bed and sitting down with it (but fighting it into acetate covers and a slide spine first)!
Old 09-06-2013, 02:43 AM   #38
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
What about creatures with mouths in their hands?
That sounds familiar . . .
Old 09-06-2013, 03:14 AM   #39
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
How about a Felicia in a Sailor fuku instead?

What?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp View Post
Am I reading it right that a grapple with the mouth is no more effective (as a grapple, that is, and ignoring the ability of teeth to overcome slipperiness) than using a single hand?
Okay, if true, that certainly reduces the effectiveness of the Venus Flytrap biomod.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:36 AM   #40
Mathulhu

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
are you sure they are mouths

Tags
technical grappling