Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-12-2013, 06:45 AM   #1
Michael Thayne

Default Anyone ever used most of the cinematic combat rules?

One thing I noticed in the discussion of whether GURPS does Supers well is that people seemed to be assuming a lack of cinematic combat rules. In particular, Cinematic Explosions greatly limits the effectiveness of explosive weapons, and TV Action Violence limits the effectiveness of everything that isn't "unarmed attacks or melee or thrown weapon attacks that inflict crushing damage (or no damage, such as a grapple)." Some of the additional cinematic combat rules described in Martial Arts and Action! go even further in favoring unarmed combat. It seems like using those rules could go a long way towards favoring high ST characters in a Supers game. Anyone done that? (Would also be interesting to hear about the effects these things have on an Action!-style game too.)
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:47 AM   #2
Mailanka

Default Re: Anyone ever used most of the cinematic combat rules?

I use most of the Chambara cinematic rules, and I also use the "mook" rules* (they generally just attack and don't bother to defend unless they're elite mooks) and the flesh wound rules.

*I found they tended to fail anyway, so it was mostly a waste of my time to roll.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
Carlos

We use some cinematic combat rules in our fantasy/DF games, specially Chambara Fighting.
Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:27 PM   #4
JP42

Want an excuse to use them all? Go watch Die Hard 5. Saw an early preview tonight (thanks, Big Red Soda!) and all I can say is, John McClane must have had a big ol' pile of CP hanging around to burn for some of the crap he pulled off, without any broken bones!
JP42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
Stormcrow

I use most of them to support Tales of the Solar Patrol.
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
I use most of them to support Tales of the Solar Patrol.
How did that go? How does it affect how much the fancy ray guns (I forget what TotSP calls them) get used? Though I remember that TotSP discourages using them when you're fighting on a ship.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #7
Stormcrow

Cannon Fodder lets me throw lots of Jovian soldiers at the Patrolmen without worrying too much about things bogging down or getting overpowering.

Flesh Wounds has saved one character's life during a moment of unwise bravado.

Infinite Ammunition saves us all the headache of keeping track of shots.

TV Action Violence keeps all the characters in the action, preventing GURPS combat from being particularly deadly to them.

I haven't used the others yet, but they are all appropriate to the genre.

I don't, however, use Dual-Weapon Attacks or other multiple-attack-granting abilities. I tried that, and the characters all turned out to be shooting machines, which was not in-genre at all. In fact, I've reduced the RoF of their atomic guns from 3 to 1, with their agreement, because the damage caused by those things was just way too high. They didn't want to have to control their own trigger fingers. :)
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, supers