Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 12-22-2021, 06:31 PM   #1221
ajardoor

Default Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
This is what I asked. No one (GM or players) answered me.

So... I'm ambivalent. What's the expectation on a question like that? I didn't roll, and I didn't push that no one answered me, but that's probably because I was cooking for a holiday all the next day. I would like if my questions were answered. On the other hand, the rest of the players ignored my question... so I'm ambivalent.

I'm not actually that surprised that the gold is stolen and cursed... I didn't feel that we'd earned such a haul when we first found it, but expected trouble getting it home.

I do think as a GM you could be more verbose. Make sure you answer every questions, even if its to say "how would you do that?" or "how would you know that" If something supernatural or surprising happens, give a few extra lines to give context. You could also let party actions and precautions matter more. I'd rather face more tougher foes than foes that seem increasingly tailored to bypass our defenses. The fort has mattered... once, I think. I do get that you're trying to figure out what the party can handle, but it just feels bad that everyone wandering monster after the ants has ignored the fort.

And yeah, Play by Post has some extra challenges from being an ordinary GM. One of which is that going back and forth quickly is hard, so GM style needs to account for that. I don't think that a "gotcha" GM style lends itself to pbp, but I could be wrong and we just haven't figured it out yet.

Bonus character points I'm also ambivalent about. They're nice, yes, but they don't feel related to the problem. I'd prefer a GM commitment to improving in specific areas.
I guess I have problems judging how much OOC info I should let you, and I am falling on the side of less. I can, of course, give more in the future, which should make it easier on you. Your criticism is reasonable.

I figured at least half the party suspected something was up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicious Violence View Post
So the NPC landed critical success then, but also when poisoning our food? I find this highly improbable. Rather than the points I would prefer when catch this NPC and keep the gold stash as is.

Also gold makes noise and is heavy.
Only the Stealth rolls were critical successes.
The Poison the bad guy made was merely a margin of success 0. That is why the rolls to resist it were so mild. The rolls to detect the poison were also not penalised due to the weak success.
The bad guy mostly waited until you guys were distracted fighting a random encounter, or sleeping.
Catching the bad guy and getting the gold is definitely on the table. Tracking and magic (or paying a sage to cast the spell) are good first choices, and he is a denizen of the Caves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
A relevant fact here, is that the money in the chest was not cursed, it was the pouch of coins Lionel had. All we took from Lionel was the papers; we left the rest behind, after the “demonic presence” event, here’s the inventory (November 15, 2021):
https://forums.sjgames.com/showpost....postcount=1097

The captives passed away on November 12, 2021:
https://forums.sjgames.com/showpost....&postcount=886

AFAIK that leaves the curse out.

I think the character points are part of our regular reward from getting back to the town; I also think Vicious suggestion is more adequate.
The bad guy was mostly watching the chest (and the loot within), not Lionel. Long story.
I figured the demonic presence detection would make you guys figure out that the bag coins were suspect.
Wait, you didn't take the bag of coins? I thought you guys did. Because that is a huge mistake on my part. I seriously thought you guys took the $500 in the bag!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinLorica View Post
The clowns bypassed our set up (not just the traps) "just because", and I comprehended you.

But a second time? Stealth doesnt bypass traps, they just got close, its not the only thing we prepared to prevent attacks. Vic says they could've killed us, it's the truth, you can call a game-over offscreen with rolls we don't get to see.

Losing the epic loot off-screen doesnt feel right.
Im advocating for what you already gave us.
Ive the impression I speak for everybody saying we want our loot.
The Evil Clowns were special bad guys, owing to a Weirdness Magnet in your party.
The bad guy rolled well on Observation, which allowed him to avoid the traps.
The bad guy had the Cowardice Disadvantage, he did not want to risk getting his hands too dirty. So he just slipped bad stuff into your rations. (He also had Greed, which is why he Filched gold coins.)
You still have more than 100 gold coins ($40,000), the silver and copper, and the Character Point awards from finding that secret room, at least.
Old 12-22-2021, 08:06 PM   #1222
Hide

Bain also has deep sleeper with combat reflexes. It is hard not to notice intruders even during sleep (+6). On the other hand you can clearly see in the post we only got the papers from the satchel/Lionel.
Old 12-22-2021, 09:21 PM   #1223
ajardoor

If the party was not cursed, the main fallout of that mistake was the +6 to random encounter chance.

Would you like to receive bonus Character Points for the unnecessary random encounters you had?
Old 12-22-2021, 10:08 PM   #1224
PumpkinLorica

Gm, the first time I brought my concerns to you it was via pm, we were just starting the game but my feelings then were about the same feelings I have now. I believe this game improved a lot since we talked. But seeing my friends venting their concerns after the appearance of the clowns, brought this itch back. I’d like to think the clowns were legit. But your secret rolls that negated our success and effort off-screen alienate me, and this is without taking into account the attention to detail our party pays to your game ic. Had you posted your rolls in rolz without tags or whatever (because theyre secret), I’d believe you. But that’s not the case. And I’d like to let it go, but I cant because as eric says, this is just a gotcha event that cant happen just like that. I just want my loot as we earned it. The setting is cool and I like the story so far, but if with a wave of your hand you gonna take away from us whatever you want, I cant take it. Secret rolls are there to make things fun, and this is anti-climatic and its not just me. I don’t want to pursuit more bandits or fight for this loot anymore, please just let us enjoy our whole loot already and let's keep playing.
Old 12-23-2021, 03:38 AM   #1225
ajardoor

If everyone in the party votes yes, you get the stolen cash back, I retcon the gold coins back (the bad guy simply messed with your rations).

But only if everyone else agrees.

And keep in mind, 20% of all the gold coins are $1 copper farthings painted (some other bad guys stole from the chest before you guys and replaced them with forgeries).
Old 12-23-2021, 07:16 AM   #1226
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

retconning the coins due to not taking $500 of cursed coin home feels correct.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 07:24 AM   #1227
ajardoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
retconning the coins due to not taking $500 of cursed coin home feels correct.
Those are seperate issues. The curse was not related to the loot in the secret room chest, or the theft.
Old 12-23-2021, 08:59 AM   #1228
Hide

I vote for the money back, thanks.
Old 12-23-2021, 09:12 AM   #1229
vicious Violence

I also vote for the money.
vicious Violence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 06:48 PM   #1230
PumpkinLorica