Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2020, 03:47 PM   #201
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

You can use improvised tools for a -2 penalty. You won't be required to scrounge up improvised tools, but you will be required to conceal them (hold out or smuggling)
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:42 PM   #202
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Well, let's press ahead then. I wait for an opportune time to get at the locker.

Holdout the paperclip (or whatever)
Quote:
[117] 20-10-16 05:32:43 CEST
Holdout
3d6 <= 16 : 2 + 3 + 3 = 8 ... success
Stealthily approach the locker
Quote:
[118] 20-10-16 05:33:36 CEST
Stealth
3d6 <= 16 : 2 + 3 + 6 = 11 ... success
And pick the lock
Quote:
[119] 20-10-16 05:37:36 CEST
Lockpicking (at -2)
3d6 <= 12 : 2 + 4 + 6 = 12 ... success
Good (but close). I take the pill bottle and close the locker up tight. I'll hold on to it until I can find a good hiding place.
Quote:
[120] 20-10-16 05:41:24 CEST
Holdout
3d6 <= 16 : 3 + 3 + 3 = 9 ... success
And now to go hide it:
Quote:
[121] 20-10-16 05:42:15 CEST
Camouflage
3d6 <= 16 : 6 + 5 + 5 = 16 ... success
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:22 AM   #203
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Well, let's press ahead then. I wait for an opportune time to get at the locker.

Holdout the paperclip (or whatever)

Stealthily approach the locker

And pick the lock

Good (but close). I take the pill bottle and close the locker up tight. I'll hold on to it until I can find a good hiding place.

And now to go hide it:
Your rolls have succeeded! Sunday evening, you get a few longer pieces of meal, and pry the lock open. Hua stashes the pills. Monday morning, She'll come up short on her medicine. Will you be shadowing her, or will you be simply asking about her day?

Monday morning Hua receives her debriefing about the fire. The familiar combination of two officers, two security, and her immediate superior are present.

The debriefing starts with questions about where Hua is from and how she came to serve on the ship: standard doubling checking questions to establish a baseline and try to trip her up. They ask about food on her homeworld, The wildlife, and a few other background questions. Then they where Hua was at the time of the fire. They want not only her location, but the names of the people she was with, and they'll be double checking with those people.

What tactic will Hua use to answer these questions?

Daymar was looking for ways to obtain a weapon, I believe?

This evening the two of you will be meeting up again.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:25 AM   #204
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
you get a few longer pieces of meal, and pry the lock open.
I knew the reprocessed food was bad, but this is just ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
They want not only her location, but the names of the people she was with, and they'll be double checking with those people.

What tactic will Hua use to answer these questions?
I'll say, "I was at the party on deck 19. I was mixing about; I don't remember all the names of the people I was with."

If they press the issue, I'll give them the name of someone I met while I was there.

If they ask if Botha can confirm my whereabouts, I'll say, "I work with her all day. Now you want us to live in each others pockets? Please."

Obviously this is a fast-talk strategy.
Quote:
[122] 20-10-16 16:22:13 CEST
Fast-Talk
3d6 <= 13
6 + 3 + 1 = 10 ... failure success
I accidentally hit enter early.

I'll ask Chuvi about her day. Influence roll?
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:37 AM   #205
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
I'll say, "I was at the party on deck 19. I was mixing about; I don't remember all the names of the people I was with."

If they press the issue, I'll give them the name of someone I met while I was there.


Obviously this is a fast-talk strategy.
I'll need an IQ roll or something else to represent remembering the name or having the foresight to have nabbed a name. Then I'll roll will for the opposing group.


Quote:
I'll ask Chuvi about her day. Influence roll?
not technically an influence roll, but yes, give me a talking roll. And let me know if you fail if its because Chuvi doesn't talk about the meds, or because you weren't subtle enough.



Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I knew the reprocessed food was bad, but this is just ridiculous.
My bad... but great delivery.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:10 AM   #206
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I'll need an IQ roll or something else to represent remembering the name or having the foresight to have nabbed a name. Then I'll roll will for the opposing group.
Alright, I'll go with plain IQ roll.
Quote:
[123] 20-10-16 17:56:42 CEST
IQ
3d6 <= 14 : 2 + 1 + 1 = 4 ... success

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
not technically an influence roll, but yes, give me a talking roll. And let me know if you fail if its because Chuvi doesn't talk about the meds, or because you weren't subtle enough.
I'll dig with discretion:

Quote:
[124] 20-10-16 18:09:35 CEST
Fast-Talk
3d6 <= 13 : 6 + 5 + 5 = 16 ... failure
Oh well.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:28 AM   #207
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Daymar was looking for ways to obtain a weapon, I believe?

This evening the two of you will be meeting up again.
Yes, what kind of opportunity might he have to achieve that? He is also looking for opportunities to live up to his specialty of "traitor-maker": someone outside his normal circle on whom he could perform Mental Surgery to cause Extreme Fanaticism (Zorbani).
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:16 AM   #208
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Alright, I'll go with plain IQ roll.
Quote:
3d6 <= 14 : 2 + 1 + 1 = 4 ... success
Wow that's a nice roll! Having anticipated just such questions, Hua is able to give a list of four different dance partners and two others who saw her there. The debreifers are satisfied with her answers (those two officers have over 100 people to "debrief", and it appear that she is in the clear).

She is asked about fussy eating habits during the trip, but she can honestly say she doesn't have any.

Quote:
I'll dig with discretion:
Oh well.
Chuvi doesn't mention the pills being gone. Or like others to notice the pills at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Yes, what kind of opportunity might he have to achieve that? He is also looking for opportunities to live up to his specialty of "traitor-maker": someone outside his normal circle on whom he could perform Mental Surgery to cause Extreme Fanaticism (Zorbani).
Daymar needs to target either getting a standard issue weapon (assigned to individuals and used daily), an armory weapon (inventoried every 8 hours, stored in racks of 10, locked up near officers and security quarters), or a personal weapon (which will be individually stored, may not be checked, and most likely belongs to an officer). I suspect that your ally is likely to be a touch better at stealing than you are (much as you are better at avoiding eating food).



As for turning someone, you've got a willing accomplice who will follow you all over the ship. Who do you WANT to get? An officer? a random fall guy? a security specialist? Its all about meeting them, and you spend all day walking around the ship.

As a note: Zorbani is the name of the collation of invaders you're trying to stop. Jakorbi is the name of the nation you're trying to protect. (who themselves speak the Zorbani language, but have different political allegiances and a much better human rights record.) And neither the Zorbani pact nor Jakorbi are likely to field dreadstormers: they're likely to be from either the fifth spinward republic (Quintas, that's you) or the Malu empire.


The dreadstormers will be meeting up tonight (monday) for their second meeting.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 10-16-2020 at 11:23 AM.
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 02:56 PM   #209
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Daymar needs to target either getting a standard issue weapon (assigned to individuals and used daily), an armory weapon (inventoried every 8 hours, stored in racks of 10, locked up near officers and security quarters), or a personal weapon (which will be individually stored, may not be checked, and most likely belongs to an officer). I suspect that your ally is likely to be a touch better at stealing than you are (much as you are better at avoiding eating food).

As for turning someone, you've got a willing accomplice who will follow you all over the ship. Who do you WANT to get? An officer? a random fall guy? a security specialist? Its all about meeting them, and you spend all day walking around the ship.

As a note: Zorbani is the name of the collation of invaders you're trying to stop. Jakorbi is the name of the nation you're trying to protect. (who themselves speak the Zorbani language, but have different political allegiances and a much better human rights record.) And neither the Zorbani pact nor Jakorbi are likely to field dreadstormers: they're likely to be from either the fifth spinward republic (Quintas, that's you) or the Malu empire.


The dreadstormers will be meeting up tonight (monday) for their second meeting.
Okay, perhaps Day will put in a request to Hua and focus on his own talents. For now, he'll try to find a random fall guy, and if can manage it, someone who has not yet been debriefed. Let's make that Extreme Fanaticism (Fifth Spinward Republic). This initial conversion is going to be "fire and forget" - bump into someone in the hall, make the necessary skin contact/surgery, then excuse himself and keep walking.

Good thing he hasn't used Luck in a while!

[125] 20-10-16 22:54:21 CEST

Mental Surgery (Fanaticism (Extreme; Fifth Spinward Republic)

3d6 <= 15
6 + 6 + 5 = 17 ... failure

[126] 20-10-16 22:54:51 CEST

Luck to re-roll Mental Surgery

3d6 <= 15
1: 5 + 5 + 1 = 11 ... success
2: 2 + 3 + 5 = 10 ... success

sum: 21, average: 10.50, success: 2/2 100%

Success by 5.
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:14 AM   #210
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Daymar marks his target and gives him the fanaticism. He's not entirely sure who the guy is, but he'll probably find out soon enough.

That evening, the two Dreadstormers are scheduled to meet up.

Daymar can meet pretty freely, but he'll need to specify where he parks Pothi.

Hua, how will you get to the location without Botha finding out?
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.