Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 03-01-2020, 07:47 AM   #11
Magesmiley

Default Re: Car Wars Tournament at Emerald City Comic Con

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
At some point, we need to get together -- I have a 3D of My Arena (and I mean: It's named for me :) ), which needs some repair work and alterations (like: Making it so it can be disassembled for transport); and I have no idea how to make the "corner" boards curve. (Also: I have Cats....)
Yeah... cats. We have a bunch at our house too. Being able to paint without ending up with pawprints can be a challenge sometimes. And I have to be careful where I leave the foam boards. I store mine in a shed when they're not in use.

As far as disassembly, that's best considered when you're initially building it. Retrofitting at a later date can be very difficult. It's going to depends a lot on what it's mounted on and what sort of features it has on top, as well as where they are located.

Also... don't forget setup time. The two arenas I currently use have considerably different setup times. My KEAR Coliseum disassembles into 29 pieces (not counting the pegs and other items to hold them together). Rainbow Bay has 4 and relies on its weight to stay in place. On the flip side, weight of the pieces is a big factor for ease of moving them.

As to the corners, again it will depend on what it is made out of. The arenas I've done don't have rounded corners, though I do have some rounded bits around the gates on one of them. That said I can think of a couple of ways I'd tackle them.

Step one is to draw the lines for where you want the cut. I don't recommend a freehand here, if you can avoid it. A large compass, a pen attached to a string, or even some printed pages that you can cut apart to provide an edge to draw along are some quick ways.

Step two is the actual cut. If you're dealing with wood or similar materials, a jigsaw is probably your best bet followed by some sanding. If you're dealing with foam, a hot wire knife or foam cutting saw are probably your best bets, though I've done some with utility knives. The hot wire knife is my recommendation for foam as it makes a nice sharp cut that is melted slightly.

Repair work is what it is. I generally do some right before the conventions. I also have been slowly making improvements on my arenas that has been reducing the amount of fixes I need too.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 02:38 PM   #12
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
As far as disassembly, that's best considered when you're initially building it. Retrofitting at a later date can be very difficult. It's going to depends a lot on what it's mounted on and what sort of features it has on top, as well as where they are located.
[nod] The big problem with My Track is: It's banked all the way around (never mind that, as it's depicted on the "flat map", the corners can't exist that way), so getting it to "lie flat" will be difficult.

As to actual construction: There's nowhere in the house big enough to lay it out fully, and not have The Twofootologists investigate. (Of the three cats: Two of them are part-Siamese, with the Siamese Brain; the third could be an Ocicat, which is also highly intelligent, and very inquisitive.)

One of these years, I need to be able to get up to one of the Sea-Tac gaming cons, so this can be discussed further; best I can manage is Lacey/Olympia these days.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 01:33 PM   #13
syncrogt1

Do you think this will still happen, with so many dropping out of ECCC due to virus fears? I have heard a number of retailers are not showing up.
syncrogt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:08 PM   #14
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncrogt1 View Post
Do you think this will still happen, with so many dropping out of ECCC due to virus fears? I have heard a number of retailers are not showing up.
The convention is still going on. They've done an unusual step in that they've offered to do refunds for convention passes, which in prior years they've disallowed.

I'm still planning to be there running the Car Wars tournament.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:15 PM   #15
Magesmiley

Quote:
[nod] The big problem with My Track is: It's banked all the way around (never mind that, as it's depicted on the "flat map", the corners can't exist that way), so getting it to "lie flat" will be difficult.

As to actual construction: There's nowhere in the house big enough to lay it out fully, and not have The Twofootologists investigate. (Of the three cats: Two of them are part-Siamese, with the Siamese Brain; the third could be an Ocicat, which is also highly intelligent, and very inquisitive.)

One of these years, I need to be able to get up to one of the Sea-Tac gaming cons, so this can be discussed further; best I can manage is Lacey/Olympia these days.
I think that I'd do the floor of the arena with foam if I was building it from scratch. Foam has the advantage of being easier to cut and also a lot cheaper to replace if you make mistakes. Build the corner up in layers. You might have to do some math to figure the angles for the cuts.

Another idea that might be worth exploring is plaster cloth. Model railroad setups use it fairly extensively and have plenty of guides on how to do it.

And a third idea is to use some plasticard cut to the shape of the road, with the curve accounted for. You could bend the sheet and put supports under it. Maybe even some spray foam to fill up the space (and trimmed to deal with any overflow).

Old 03-06-2020, 11:51 AM   #16
owenmp

Twitter - Emerald City Comic Con
@emeraldcitycon

After many hours of conversation internally & consultation with local government officials and the tourism bureau, we have decided to move next week’s Emerald City Comic Con to Summer 2020 with date & detail announcement forthcoming. Read more at http://EmCity2020.com/Postponed #ECCC2020

https://www.emeraldcitycomiccon.com/...-From-Reedpop/

10:31 AM · Mar 6, 2020·Socialbakers

https://twitter.com/emeraldcitycon/s...96413093273602
Twitter: Car Combat Central
https://twitter.com/carcombat
owenmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:19 AM   #17
Magesmiley

It's delayed. But currently I'm planning to still have the tournament when the convention is rescheduled.

Old 03-29-2020, 01:58 PM   #18
Chernobyl

Quote:

is this a circular track? banked all around?
Chernobyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:03 PM   #19
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chernobyl View Post
is this a circular track? banked all around?
It's "The C. F. Memorial Arena", from _Car Wars Arenas_ -- slightly modified, as the way the original is drawn it isn't actually possible to have the corners banked as described....

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:40 PM   #20
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
It's delayed. But currently I'm planning to still have the tournament when the convention is rescheduled.
Ehhh…. this might not happen now. Still TBD, but the tentative date is the weekend after another convention I have already committed to running a Car Wars tournament at. Going to have to ponder on this a bit if I'm up to two weekends in a row.