Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 08-13-2011, 02:27 PM   #31
tHEhERETIC

Default Re: In Nomine Virtual Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
What about making Busan a Protection Tether and letting Michael's be near the landing site at Inchon instead? (Laurence is a possibility, too, of course, since it's as much a general's triumph as a soldier's.)
Because I know jack about Protection? (Which book is that, and how did I miss it?) Although the whole point of the movie "71" was that all or nearly all the conscripted teenagers who held the point died in the effort.

I'd quite forgotten about Incheon (the 'new and improved' Romanization of the name). It's now a peculiar neighborhood--salt flats in part of it, the roughest parts of Seoul in parts of it, a quaint boardwalk and a Chinatown, and the most serious airport in the country all squeezed up by the northern border.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:07 PM   #32
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
Because I know jack about Protection? (Which book is that, and how did I miss it?)
Zadkiel, Archangel of Protection, was introduced in Heaven & Hell. She got her own Superiors e-book about two years ago.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:27 PM   #33
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methariel View Post
And in Mannheim, where Carl Benz invented the first automobile, should be a Tether, too. Again, to Jean or to Vapula?
If I may make a modest suggestion...

Consider that the invention of the earliest, least-reliable version of the television was enough to turn a minor demon into the Prince of the Media. The mere act of inventing something does not require the involvement of either Lightning or Technology.

Now, consider what an automobile allows - movement over greater distances than before, and greater speeds than before.

Given these two points, the spot where Herr Benz invented the automobile could easily be a Tether to Janus, Archangel of the Wind.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #34
Rocket Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post

Given these two points, the spot where Herr Benz invented the automobile could easily be a Tether to Janus, Archangel of the Wind.
I like that,especially since it also made society itself more mobile ...not just in its daily affairs, but on the grand scale. That can risk making a society rootless, but it's also very liberating and makes combinations possible that would have taken generations to happen otherwise.

EDIT: And a minor kibbitz -- while I obviously agree with the larger point, it's worth noting that Nybbas was a low-ranking Servitor of Technology when his big break with TV came.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:54 PM   #35
Phoenix42

One could also argue in favour of a split tether between Janus (how did we miss that one? Thanks Rob) and Vapula, since the invention of the automobile finalised humanity's dependence on fossil fuels, and oil in particular. I always considered fossil fuels to be rather Vapula's than Jean's area of interest - not sure why...
Phoenix42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #36
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
I'm not sure, but I believe that's something inherited from the original French games In Nomine Satanus and Magna Veritas.
Notre Dame is, indeed, an inherited location, though I forget if INS/MV had Tethers per se. They did site the Seraphim Council in secret Notre Dame basements, though.

A friend of mine in England wants to take me to visit Notre Dame someday.

Belated thanks to you all, and condolences to Rob and Jason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix42 View Post
Btw, is it intentional that Yves is the Superior in charge of Libraries? The Arch-Yves? Geddit? Sorry, that one hurt inside, but someone had to say it.
...ooooooogh.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:25 PM   #37
ISNorden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix42 View Post
One could also argue in favour of a split tether between Janus (how did we miss that one? Thanks Rob) and Vapula, since the invention of the automobile finalised humanity's dependence on fossil fuels, and oil in particular. I always considered fossil fuels to be rather Vapula's than Jean's area of interest - not sure why...
Of course, the rush towards alternative fuel sources nowadays would suggest Jean's involvement; maybe the site where the first successful electric car or "grease car" was invented qualifies as a Jeanite Tether.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #38
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
I've also flirted with a War tether along the defense perimeter of Busan, South Korea. There's a film "71 Into the Fire" or variations on (the title's a translation) that treats it in a very inspiring way. ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
What about making Busan a Protection Tether and letting Michael's be near the landing site at Inchon instead? (Laurence is a possibility, too, of course, since it's as much a general's triumph as a soldier's.)
Quote:
Because I know jack about Protection? (Which book is that, and how did I miss it?) Although the whole point of the movie "71" was that all or nearly all the conscripted teenagers who held the point died in the effort.

I'd quite forgotten about Incheon .
Funny how I'm a snob for print. I went to a copy shop and got printouts of the books I don't have in dead tree and finally flipped through Zadkiel. The school those kids defended--as opposed to Busan itself--I'd call that one for Michael, Laurence, or ...is there a Christopher for teenagers? I'll have to do some research but again, going by the film (which doubtless had inaccuracies, since in the movie they all died but in the ending credits they had veterans of that battle speaking!) there were serious tactical blunders but enough esprit de corps that 71 kids could give 11 hours' pause to a professional battalion. (reads some wiki) Apparently that amount of time was important because the North's supply lines had broken down.

Yeah, I'm calling the kids at P'ohang-dong Middle School for Michael. Zadkiel would never have left them in that spot, and a shot-up school does not sound like a Protection tether to me. Especially since, after the North moved into that village, the U.N. forces bombed Hell out of it.

Something to think about over breakfast.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:27 PM   #39
tHEhERETIC

OMG OMG OMG please forgive the enthusiasm.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...540a02ccd0de9d

Does anyone know how to contribute to this?? A Google map of the tethers...!
Old 10-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #40
Rocket Man

Very nice! Though in my campaign, NORAD belongs to Protection and Columbine High is a Death Tether. And yes, if you figure out how to contribute, let me know!

Tags
setting