Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-21-2016, 07:07 PM   #1
faitfull

Default Ultra Tech Invisibility surface? how does it work in combat?

so my character got himself a nice invisibility surface suit [UT-100] to use in combat. We are TL-10 so it is nice and all.

I am cool with the -6 to hit me in combat.... but how does it work? exsample? do the enemy first have to spot me with a perception of -6 if I move around, or how does it work?

I try to make a dodge monkey build, and while I simply love the -6 to hit me, unless tehy have some special visor. I cannot help but feel it is overpowered and puts my GM in a terrible spot when we are fighting ordinary blokes that wants to rob us.

from the book:

Invisibility Surface (TL10-12)
This active optical camouflage system renders the user
nearly invisible. Its fabric incorporates thousands of
embedded nanocameras and projectors (or a quantum dot
array) to create a seamless “projection stealth” system.
Controlled by a fast dedicated computer, this captures
images of the user’s surroundings, then displays photorealistic
imagery that can fool observers from multiple angles
and perspectives.
The user is invisible. He gets +9 to Stealth rolls in
most circumstances. The invisibility is effective against
living things and machines, and will fool cameras. The
user casts a visible shadow. He also appears as a shadow
when silhouetted directly against the sun or any other
extremely bright light source (such as a searchlight);
reduce the Stealth bonus to +3 under these conditions.
When he moves, there’s a faint shimmering that others
can spot with a Vision-6 roll, and target in combat at -6
to hit.
The suit can also function as a video display terminal.
The user can “paint” the suit with any desired color or
pattern; this reduces the power drain by a factor of 10.
At TL10, an invisibility surface is only effective against
visual and infrared (or thermal) imaging.
At TL11, it is also effective against ultraviolet and
hyperspectral imaging, unless that has either the extended
high- or low-band options.
At TL12, it is effective against extended high- and
low-band hyperspectral imaging.
faitfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:03 PM   #2
The_Ryujin

Default Re: Ultra Tech Invisibility surface? how does it work in combat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by faitfull View Post
I try to make a dodge monkey build, and while I simply love the -6 to hit me, unless tehy have some special visor. I cannot help but feel it is overpowered and puts my GM in a terrible spot when we are fighting ordinary blokes that wants to rob us.
Well the invisibility surface is a military grade piece of equipment with LC2, if normal blokes can see you in that thing then it's not much good. Also since the GM is letting you have a LC2 piece of equipment then it is on him if it breaks his set ups, this is like letting a TL8 character casually add 4th generation stealth technology to their pick up truck!

If you want something that's not only a bit fairer but will also raise far less questions from the authorities is they see you with one on, TL10 Multispectral Chameleon Surface might be for you heh.

Quote:
so my character got himself a nice invisibility surface suit [UT-100] to use in combat. We are TL-10 so it is nice and all.

I am cool with the -6 to hit me in combat.... but how does it work? exsample? do the enemy first have to spot me with a perception of -6 if I move around, or how does it work?

from the book:

Invisibility Surface (TL10-12)
This active optical camouflage system renders the user
nearly invisible. Its fabric incorporates thousands of
embedded nanocameras and projectors (or a quantum dot
array) to create a seamless “projection stealth” system.
Controlled by a fast dedicated computer, this captures
images of the user’s surroundings, then displays photorealistic
imagery that can fool observers from multiple angles
and perspectives.
The user is invisible. He gets +9 to Stealth rolls in
most circumstances. The invisibility is effective against
living things and machines, and will fool cameras. The
user casts a visible shadow. He also appears as a shadow
when silhouetted directly against the sun or any other
extremely bright light source (such as a searchlight);
reduce the Stealth bonus to +3 under these conditions.
When he moves, there’s a faint shimmering that others
can spot with a Vision-6 roll, and target in combat at -6
to hit.
The suit can also function as a video display terminal.
The user can “paint” the suit with any desired color or
pattern; this reduces the power drain by a factor of 10.
At TL10, an invisibility surface is only effective against
visual and infrared (or thermal) imaging.
At TL11, it is also effective against ultraviolet and
hyperspectral imaging, unless that has either the extended
high- or low-band options.
At TL12, it is effective against extended high- and
low-band hyperspectral imaging.
When someone tries to see you they need to succeed a vision based Per roll (with the usual modifiers for range and lighting) vs. your Stealth skill +9 if still or +6 if moving on top of any other modifiers that might effect you. In combat it is assumed that you are moving round so the rules simplifies it to a -6 to the opponents vision based Per roll to (basically to keep rolls from slowing down play).

Now before anyone can shoot you, they need to know that you are there so so if no one has succeed on a Per roll to spot you (or noticed you through other means like smelled you or heard you) then no one can act against you. If you have been notice they can attack you but are -6 since you are still hard to make out, especially in the din of combat.

Clear as mud?

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:54 PM   #3
faitfull

Thx alot!

going to that black marked trade surely have paid it self off with that nice gear!

We was hired to get rid of them, however I desided to make a trade with them before we was part of chasing them off the planet hehe
faitfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:17 PM   #4
The_Ryujin

Quote:
Thx alot!

going to that black marked trade surely have paid it self off with that nice gear!

We was hired to get rid of them, however I desided to make a trade with them before we was part of chasing them off the planet hehe
If you got your stealth and shadowing skill raised up, you can be quite the assassin, especially if you use a very silent weapon like a gauss gun on low velocity mode or, even better, an air gun.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
Old 10-21-2016, 09:23 PM   #5
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ryujin View Post
Now before anyone can shoot you, they need to know that you are there so so if no one has succeed on a Per roll to spot you (or noticed you through other means like smelled you or heard you) then no one can act against you. If you have been notice they can attack you but are -6 since you are still hard to make out, especially in the din of combat.

Clear as mud?
Don't forget that when fighting such stealthies, you can target the area with things like explosives. As they say, close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:41 PM   #6
David Johnston2

Quote:

I try to make a dodge monkey build, and while I simply love the -6 to hit me, unless tehy have some special visor. I cannot help but feel it is overpowered and puts my GM in a terrible spot when we are fighting ordinary blokes that wants to rob us.g.
Ordinary blokes who want to rob people should pick targets who aren't wearing highly restricted espionage/military gear.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:57 PM   #7
The_Ryujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Don't forget that when fighting such stealthies, you can target the area with things like explosives. As they say, close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
Oh yeah. If it's a viable option then the first thing you should do is call in an artillery strike, mortar strike or start lobbing grenades (in that order of preference) the first sign that the enemy has stealth camo units. Even if you don't them all you're likely to kick up enough dirt and dust to cover them and degrade their stealth. The father away from invisible things that want to kill me I can get, the better.

Though based on how the OP decried things, him and his group are a bunch of Han Solo/Mal types that got lucky on a gig and probably are going to be going against people who lack the equipment or training to bring that kind of fire power to bare. Their best tactic would be once someone spots him, the enemy masses fire and targets that area he's standing at and hope for the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Ordinary blokes who want to rob people should pick targets who aren't wearing highly restricted espionage/military gear.
Yep.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:47 PM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Hey, you see that guy over there that just eviscerated a multi-ton dragon using just his voice? Yeah, let's rob him. - Skyrim bandit
Old 10-22-2016, 04:51 AM   #9
weby

It should be noted that PESA works well against TL 10-11 versions of the invisibility surface and the hyperspectral works against TL 10. Also active sensors work fine.

Also note that the sensors are LC4 so much wider availability.

But yes, ordinary thugs messing with opponents that have military grade gear can kind of expect to lose. It is the same as those ordinary thugs attacked someone in a Combat Hardsuit, they would not be expected to win in such situation either.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:34 AM   #10
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ryujin View Post
Oh yeah. If it's a viable option then the first thing you should do is call in an artillery strike, mortar strike or start lobbing grenades (in that order of preference) the first sign that the enemy has stealth camo units. Even if you don't them all you're likely to kick up enough dirt and dust to cover them and degrade their stealth. The father away from invisible things that want to kill me I can get, the better.

Though based on how the OP decried things, him and his group are a bunch of Han Solo/Mal types that got lucky on a gig and probably are going to be going against people who lack the equipment or training to bring that kind of fire power to bare. Their best tactic would be once someone spots him, the enemy masses fire and targets that area he's standing at and hope for the best.
It's one of the few situations where suppression fire is useful against PCs.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote