Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-14-2020, 03:06 PM   #1
Evil Roy Slade

Default Meteoric iron immunities

In Dungeon Fantasy 1: Adventurers, we read:

Meteoric iron is immune to magic – Reverse
Missiles, Steelwraith, Turn Blade, and so on won’t stop it, and
Shape Metal, Shatter, and the like can’t destroy it. Of course, it
can’t benefit from enchantments, weapon-enhancing spells, or
magical repairs.

Would meteoric iron pass through an Utter Dome? Could it be Plane Shifted? Could you Blink with meteoric iron on your person?
Evil Roy Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 04:41 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Meteoric iron immunities

I generally assume it's equivalent to a no mana zone that doesn't extend beyond the object, which translates as yes, no, no.
Old 06-14-2020, 04:58 PM   #3
mr beer

I would rule yes, no and yes but the meteoric iron stays behind.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:59 AM   #4
Aldric

Yes, no and interesting question: if the answer is no, then you have a way to restrain casters, if the answer is yes, I'd say the iron stays behind.
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 05:58 AM   #5
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldric View Post
you have a way to restrain casters
Another use for the meteroic iron arrowhead. It's not just good for penetrating the Reverse Missiles shield; it pins the mage to the location until they can remove it. Is it also going to prevent Levitation and Flight? Haste? There's a fine line between being affected directly by magic, and being carried along by something that's affected by magic.

It might not take long for someone to think of an AoE cloud of meteroic iron filings to dust the area with the teleport block. (The delivery method and bursting charge might even be magical; the push from expanding air or gases would be physical, and so could scatter the iron bits. But purely physical mechanisms might do as well.)
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:31 AM   #6
WingedKagouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Another use for the meteroic iron arrowhead. It's not just good for penetrating the Reverse Missiles shield; it pins the mage to the location until they can remove it. Is it also going to prevent Levitation and Flight? Haste? There's a fine line between being affected directly by magic, and being carried along by something that's affected by magic.

It might not take long for someone to think of an AoE cloud of meteroic iron filings to dust the area with the teleport block. (The delivery method and bursting charge might even be magical; the push from expanding air or gases would be physical, and so could scatter the iron bits. But purely physical mechanisms might do as well.)
If I was the GM and this came up I'd probably rule that it would depend on the weight or volume ratio for things like Levitation, Flight, Haste etc. If what you can affect based on proximity to and mass of the meteoric iron still offers enough structural integrity, these spells would work (almost) normally.

Using Levitate you would be able to lift someone with several MI arrowheads embedded in their chest, but to lift the same person wearing a MI breast plate you'd have to hope their arms & legs could take the stress.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:25 AM   #7
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
If I was the GM and this came up I'd probably rule that it would depend on the weight or volume ratio for things like Levitation, Flight, Haste etc. If what you can affect based on proximity to and mass of the meteoric iron still offers enough structural integrity, these spells would work (almost) normally.

Using Levitate you would be able to lift someone with several MI arrowheads embedded in their chest, but to lift the same person wearing a MI breast plate you'd have to hope their arms & legs could take the stress.
It would be rather unusual for someone to be wearing a breastplate that their legs are unable to support the weight of.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:35 AM   #8
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
The really important consideration is what happens to people carrying meteoritic equipment. If it's impossible to Levitate or Haste your comrades because they have a meteoritic iron arrow in their quiver, not very many adventurers would want them.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:01 AM   #9
Anaraxes

The "NMZ edge at the surface of the iron" model would let you Haste the archer. The spell doesn't cover the quiver, just the archer's body. It's when you actually embed the iron into the body that the question gets harder.

If one of the premises is that you can prevent a mage from teleporting because of embedded iron, then all the questions about other body-affecting spells arise. Blink away from the iron is reasonable, as the magic can't get inside that little NMZ, so the iron doesn't Blink. The rest of the mage does (presumably leaving an arrowhead-shaped hole, if you use bleeding rules).

Disrupting the mage's Blink is trickier -- including the NMZ would have to throw off the balance of the spell for some reason, so it aborts if it can't properly translocate everything within the boundary of the mage's body. Good thing those spells come with safety interlocks to avoid transporter accidents :) That's headed down the dark path of trying to defining an "object", with the Ship of Theseus and sorites lying in wait to ambush over-bold adventurers. (Is the roasted turkey leg the mage just ate part of his "body", and thus Blinks with him, or is that only true after the meal has been digested? Does Blink/Teleport Other just take everything within a surface envisioned by the mage (barring anti-magic effects), so you could teleport swarms as a unit, or two people in close combat, the whole party if they cram into one hex?)

But disrupting Haste because of an arrow in the archer's quiver would mean postulating that the iron a magic-disrupting field that extends beyond its own boundaries. Meteoric iron becomes a portable NMZ or Mana Damper. Also a possible premise, but one that leads to a different set of applications and setting implications.

Last edited by Anaraxes; 06-15-2020 at 09:04 AM.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:30 AM   #10
Varyon

From how I understand it, magic cannot directly affect meteoric iron, but indirect effects are perfectly fine. If you light a fire with magic, it will heat the iron just like one lit by other means. If you have someone with a magical ability to fly, carrying meteoric iron doesn't change this at all, they're simply carrying it as normal encumbrance - but if that same person had magical telekinesis, it wouldn't be able to move the iron on its own (although if the iron were attached to something, say a wooden haft for a meteoric iron axe, moving the attached object would move the meteoric iron just fine).

Meteoric iron isn't antimagic, it's just unaffected by magic. Note this also means a meteoric iron weapon will pass right through a magic force field, but if you're using magic to simply strengthen the armor you're already wearing (or your clothes, or your bare flesh), the strengthening effect is just as effective against the meteoric iron weapon as a weapon of terrestrial iron - the spell isn't affecting the weapon, it's affecting what the weapon is striking.

Tags
magic, meteoric iron