Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-12-2010, 06:56 AM   #1
JediKnight83

Default [SPACE] Terraforming Rules

I want to be able to terraform some of my worlds. However, there are not any actual rules or steps to do this. Has anyone found or come up with any?
JediKnight83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:49 AM   #2
lexington

Default Re: [SPACE] Terraforming Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight83 View Post
I want to be able to terraform some of my worlds. However, there are not any actual rules or steps to do this. Has anyone found or come up with any?
General advice for terraforming is on Ultra-Tech page 78. However they're all semi-realistic, requiring a century or more to work.

What are the technological assumptions of your setting?
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
JediKnight83

The setting is TL 14. As far as other technologies: FTL travel, starships, nanite tech, etc.

And really, the terraformed worlds are already there. I just need the rules to create them. Pretty much, I am looking at terraforming Ocean, Greenhouse, and Ice type worlds.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #4
David Johnston2

Quote:
The setting is TL 14. As far as other technologies: FTL travel, starships, nanite tech, etc.

And really, the terraformed worlds are already there. I just need the rules to create them. Pretty much, I am looking at terraforming Ocean, Greenhouse, and Ice type worlds.
TL 14? Really?

All you really do with terraformed Ocean worlds is plug in new values for temperature and habitability. With Ice and Greenhouse worlds you'll need to roll for water coverage.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:00 PM   #5
lexington

Quote:

Oh, my typical way of treating a world that has already been terraformed is to say "the environment doesn't kill you". But then, in my setting, terraforming is ridiculously decadent and rarely comes up.

A greenhouse will get cooler, an ice world warmer (and possibly closer to the sun), an ocean world will get more land (or just lots of boats). Honestly, at TL14 you could probably just pick the type of world you want and roll it up as that normally. I mean, canonically at TL12^ you can transmute an entire planet into a new one all at once.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
TL 14? Really?
I'm wondering if he's using the 3e TL scheme. Went up to 16, though it became increasingly focused on superscience as it passed 10.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #7
JediKnight83

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
I'm wondering if he's using the 3e TL scheme. Went up to 16, though it became increasingly focused on superscience as it passed 10.
I never read the 3e TL scheme. It is just that the TLs listed in 4e never seemed to cover what I needed so I added numbers. I never really knew about the 3e version.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:29 PM   #8
David Johnston2

Quote:
I never read the 3e TL scheme. It is just that the TLs listed in 4e never seemed to cover what I needed so I added numbers. I never really knew about the 3e version.
What did you need?
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:19 PM   #9
Christian

Jedi, 4e does have TL above 12: superscience TLx^. I can just guesstimate that you'll find what you "need" in there. You should carefully choose a TL up to 12, and then add all the superscience you need. Another way to notate it is: TL11+1^. That would be a base TL of 11, with superscience replacing enough of the common tech, to efficently make it a TL12 setting.

So the max that you could have following RAW would be TL12^where you'd have to define for us, which supersciences you added, and which you skipped. Anything "above" that would be an houserule, and would make it very hard if not impossible to give an answer that is "based on RAW".
Old 09-13-2010, 11:28 AM   #10
Captain Joy

Quote:

As TL 14 is basically complete matter/energy conversion on massive scales, I'm assuming you don't care so much about the mechanics, but logical explanation.

Ocean: add photosynthetic organisms to keep oxygen levels up.
Greenhouse: remove atmosphere to reduce greenhouse effect; add water (if needed); add photosynthetic organisms
Iceball: add atmosphere to increase greenhouse effect; add photosynthetic organisms (no need to add water as melted ice will take care of that)

Hope this helps.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
space, terraforming