Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-24-2022, 11:55 AM   #11
zoncxs

Default Re: LogHP Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
It's a modest size table (probably 6 entries on a decibel setup), but it's still table lookup. Which you might need to do multiple times for layered DR.
How many layers do you draw the line at then? Cause 2-3 layers is not enough for me to throw my hands up and say "This is too much to look up!"
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 12:06 PM   #12
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
How many layers do you draw the line at then? Cause 2-3 layers is not enough for me to throw my hands up and say "This is too much to look up!"
It's not impossible, it just rapidly turns into more work than not using log HP, at which point why are you bothering?
Old 06-24-2022, 12:22 PM   #13
zoncxs

But don't you also have to look up how much damage someone does at certain ST levels? Also what the range penalties are for certain distances? Especially in a long range fight, weather it be with bows are guns, you have to look up the range penalty with every attack. What about when you throw something? that is also a table to determine how much damage the thrown object does. What about falling? There is a table for velocity from falling too. HP for an object? There is a pre-calculated table for that as well. My point is that there are at least half a dozen tables that would be need and used for a game, adding one more that is small in comparison to the others (I think the smallest is the thrown object damage table), should not make or brake it. Then again, I personally have no problems with that, though I understand other people do.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 12:32 PM   #14
Anthony

Quote:
But don't you also have to look up how much damage someone does at certain ST levels?
That's a one-time lookup.
Quote:
Also what the range penalties are for certain distances?
Range penalty lookup is actually pretty annoying.
Quote:
What about when you throw something? that is also a table to determine how much damage the thrown object does.
Also terrible, but usually resolved by no-one actually throwing anything.
Quote:
My point is that there are at least half a dozen tables that would be need and used for a game, adding one more that is small in comparison to the others.
A lot of them are quite rarely used.
Old 06-24-2022, 08:43 PM   #15
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The universal problem with log damage systems is that implementing DR is a huge pain: logarithms turn multiplication and division into addition and subtraction, but they turn addition and subtraction into table lookup.
It depends on on how you implement it. I essentially use DR as is, so the only "log math" is when you stack DR. For that I use the same progression as I'm using here (+3/+2/+1/+0), but it doesn't come up often if at all.

The diminishing to non-existent returns is also why Supers in my games tend to not wear much armor if they already have DR.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 05:14 AM   #16
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
It depends on on how you implement it. I essentially use DR as is, so the only "log math" is when you stack DR. For that I use the same progression as I'm using here (+3/+2/+1/+0), but it doesn't come up often if at all.
So pretty much what you're doing is just changing the way damage accumulates. There are a few oddities in the implementation, if I understand correctly. For example, it looks like taking 2 damage is sometimes worse than taking 3 damage.

Taking 2 damage repeatedly:
2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16....

Taking 3 damage repeatedly:
3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 9, 9, 9....
Old 06-26-2022, 06:46 AM   #17
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
So pretty much what you're doing is just changing the way damage accumulates. There are a few oddities in the implementation, if I understand correctly. For example, it looks like taking 2 damage is sometimes worse than taking 3 damage.

Taking 2 damage repeatedly:
2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16....

Taking 3 damage repeatedly:
3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 9, 9, 9....
If you take 2 damage repeatedly, it goes

2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 8, 8, ...

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:14 AM   #18
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
If you take 2 damage repeatedly, it goes

2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 8, 8, ...
There's a provision for damage below 3, so the progression should be:
2, 4, 6, 7, 8, 8, 8, ...

Three should be:
3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 9, 9, ...

If you have HP10, it takes 4+ damage effects to get into the lethal or KO range. If you have a lower HP, it less damage will get into lethal or KO fairly fast. If you have higher HP, it takes high damage effects to get you into lethal or KO.

Under the current system a normal man could eventually (actually it doesn't even take that long) punch an elephant to unconsciousness then death. Under this system, you'll bruise it a bit and have a very ****** off elephant.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 11:07 PM   #19
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
There's a provision for damage below 3, so the progression should be:
2, 4, 6, 7, 8, 8, 8, ...

Three should be:
3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 9, 9, ...
Okay, I can see what was intended now (can't really figure how I missed it, but I've been pretty sick for a few days so let's blame that). I suppose it could maybe be made clearer. I somehow interpreted the "If you take additional damage > 3" to mean the altered accumulation rules only kick in for damage greater than 3, but it is supposed to kick in for any amount of damage when you already have 3.

It still creates a potential oddity where wounds are not necessarily commutative: 2+8=10 but 8+2=8 (assuming 99.2 degree brain understands better than 102.1 degree brain) You might not consider that a problem, or one serious enough to need addressing.
Old 06-27-2022, 11:21 PM   #20
jacobmuller

I read it as 2+8 = 8.
But I found the table version easier to read before - my brain has been trained...
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote