Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-25-2015, 07:54 PM   #41
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Terraformed Ecosystem Peculiarities

Okay, as long as it's acknowledged that plant does not really cover all photosynthesizing earth life.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:04 PM   #42
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Okay, as long as it's acknowledged that plant does not really cover all photosynthesizing earth life.
The technical term Plantae does not, but the ordinary English word "plant" does. In English, kelp is a plant. And so is that filamentous green alga that grows on submerged rocks. So are mushrooms. And things that eat them are in English herbivores (or omnivores, etc.).

Recent drastic revisions of taxonomy can't be depended on to drastically change the meanings of words in English parlance.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:20 PM   #43
Flyndaran
Untagged

Confusing obvious fungi for plants is plain lack of education, not English vagueness. It's on par with confusing chimps for monkeys and lowers my opinion of their intelligence.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:31 PM   #44
Agemegos

Quote:
Confusing obvious fungi for plants is plain lack of education, not English vagueness.
Not at all. When I was doing biology in high school fungi were classified as plants. And a butcher, a greengrocer, and a chef would agree that they still are. Probably a legislator, too.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:01 AM   #45
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Eukaryotic Plantae do, but I and (I suspect) Anthony date from an epoch in which algae and even blue-green bacteria (we called them "blue-green algae") were classified as plants (and protozoa and even amoebae as "animals").

In the context of a wholly artificial biology on another planet I think it is okay to let "plants" stand for "photosynthesising sedentary autotrophs".
Oh, terminology revisions . . . Gone are the familiar days . . .
(I know them as 'blue-green algae' too, and I''ve been born in 1984, which is not that long ago on an evolutionary timescale . . .).

Last edited by vicky_molokh; 01-26-2015 at 01:06 AM.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:48 AM   #46
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Not at all. When I was doing biology in high school fungi were classified as plants. And a butcher, a greengrocer, and a chef would agree that they still are. Probably a legislator, too.
???? is all I can say to that.
I know that cooks loves to misname things like calling tetrapod meat protein as if plants aren't full of protein.

Calling a mushroom a plant is less accurate than calling a baboon a plant.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:40 AM   #47
Agemegos

Quote:
???? is all I can say to that.
I know that cooks loves to misname things like calling tetrapod meat protein as if plants aren't full of protein.

Calling a mushroom a plant is less accurate than calling a baboon a plant.
Words having more than one meaning is not all that rare or strange. The recent taxonomic meaning of "plantae" is not the only valid meaning of "plant". Cooks have been counting mushrooms as plants for thousands of years, and the usage is unambiguous and useful in its context. There is no reason why they should adapt their speech to taxonomists' convenience.

And by the way, fungi and baboons are both opisthokonts and plantae aren't, so calling either of them a plant is the same degree of error, taxonomically.

Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 01-26-2015 at 04:50 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:18 AM   #48
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

So I'm actually not clear on this, but are we looking at this ecosystem when its in progress, or when its finished but not inhabited yet? Or is this aliens messing around, seeing if they can invent a form of life that isn't silicon based? because all three will certainly change what the world looks like.

Quote:
And by the way, fungi and baboons are both opisthokonts and plantae aren't, so calling either of them a plant is the same degree of error, taxonomically.
Cladistically, yes. If you consider the current system alone, yes. If you pull history into things-- I learned five kingdoms, not two, but grew up with a doctor (biology major) in the house, and for him, fungi were something that botanists studied (and thus plants). History is not insignificant, and the current cladistic system is still settling from a lot of recent upheaval. Anatomically, Fungi are closer to plants. Physiologically, a case can be made for both, though they still tend to land on the plant side of things. Cladisticly, yes, they are closer to animals. So its really only the same level of mistake if you are a strict cladist.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 01-26-2015 at 08:27 AM.
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:25 AM   #49
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
So I'm actually not clear on this, but are we looking at this ecosystem when its in progress, or when its finished but not inhabited yet?
What it looks like while in progress has some effect on what it looks like when finished, but mostly in terms of fossils and the like. What it looks like when finished probably has more to do with the preferences of the people doing terraforming than with any specific requirements (it looks terraformed because all the local lifeforms are actually native to some other planet...).
Old 01-26-2015, 12:19 PM   #50
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Cladistically, yes.
I'm pretty sure that that's the standard Flyndaran means to apply. Besides, anatomically and historically fungi, not baboons, are the ones closer to plants.

Nod head. Get treat.

Tags
bio-tech, biology, ecology, ecosystems, terraforming