Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2007, 08:03 PM   #351
Rupert
 
Rupert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wellington, NZ
Default Re: 9,401, an SF thriller

Naiooka (to Thórrson)

In that case, please take the east end, Sir.
Seeing as the building designer's saw fit to design the place with safe exit in the event of fire in mind, rather than taking advice from Naiooka or his predecessors on how to make it assault-proof, Naiooka will lead Ashbless to the western end stairs, and prepare to fight a delaying action into the well and down to the basement, with the assumption that assault maight well come from the ground floor and the stairs leading up.

IIRC we have no power, so the elevators aren't an issue - if they have easy-open doors and are thus prime candidates for a vertical assault via rappeling I'd like to know now, rather than later, so Naiooka will check for that, too.
__________________
Rupert Boleyn

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:09 PM   #352
Rupert
 
Rupert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wellington, NZ
Default Re: Ishikawa on the blower to Upstairs

[QUOTE=Agemegos]
Ishikawa (on uplink to the Navy)

Marchlord, this is Boondocks.

Is that nine minutes until relief, or sixteen? Please clarify.

.
.
.

Also, please stand by for data feed of current engagement and evidence.
Ishikawa (to Lethe, by voice, all phone pickups off)

Lethe, is there any way to extract the data from that storage block here and now?
__________________
Rupert Boleyn

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:35 PM   #353
dscheidt
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default Re: 9,401, an SF thriller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert
Naiooka (to Ashbless)

Ma'am, perhaps you would like to cover to the west, while I watch the east? And don't get out of line of sight of me or the stairs, please.
Ashbless nods agreement at the corporal. She adjusts her visor to display the best tactical displays it can, and makes sure her gas mask is handy. (On?) She runs a quick last check on her weapons, and then follows Naiooka down the stairs.
__________________
The Catacombs, hard SF PbP
dscheidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:56 PM   #354
zorg
Experimental Subject
 
zorg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: saarbrücken, germany
Default Re: Ishikawa on the blower to Upstairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert
Ishikawa (to Lethe, by voice, all phone pickups off)
Lethe, is there any way to extract the data from that storage block here and now?

Lethe (also by voice, all phone pickups off)
I don't think so. Even if I didn't have to help you carry this lady here while simultaneously trying to crack the oppositions communications, I would likely need specialized equipment. Which I sadly lack. I don't even have a spare memory slug with me to confuse these terrorists.
(shakes head)
Let's get Von Bork someplace safe. If there is such a place.
__________________
Like a mail order mogwai...but nerdier - Nymdok
understanding is a three-edged sword

Last edited by zorg; 11-05-2007 at 05:43 AM.
zorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:04 PM   #355
Agemegos
 
Agemegos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Oz
Default Re: 9,401, an SF thriller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert
IIRC we have no power, so the elevators aren't an issue - if they have easy-open doors and are thus prime candidates for a vertical assault via rappeling I'd like to know now, rather than later, so Naiooka will check for that, too.
Naiooka checks the lift doors and makes a wry face. They are easily opened: a 'safety' feature no doubt.
__________________

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:12 PM   #356
Agemegos
 
Agemegos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Oz
Default Re: Ishikawa on the blower to Upstairs

Ishikawa (on uplink to the Navy)
Marchlord, this is Boondocks.

Is that nine minutes until relief, or sixteen? Please clarify.
OOW, INS Cheshire
Boondocks, this is Marchlord.

Relief in sixteen. Extraction in twenty-five. Over.
Ishikawa
Also, please stand by for data feed of current engagement and evidence.
OOW, INS Cheshire
Standing by.

Oh, and by the way, you might be glad to know that the Executive Commissioner for Public Safety has authorised the use of excessive force against the Blues Brothers. It might be an idea to keep your heads down.
__________________

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:35 AM   #357
Icelander
 
Icelander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Iceland*
Default Thórrson in von Bork's room

Thórrson stays back from the window so he's harder to spot from outside as he picks out targets. He mentally identifies three, with a preference for those acting as leaders or obviously using comm gadgets. He'll aim carefully for the first one, as that one will be someone just about to enter cover on the way to the building, and quickly transfer his aim to the other two before they can effectively react to being under fire, hopefully downing them as they dive for cover.

Ideally, he'd want the second two targets to be far enough from solid cover that they'd be unable to reach it once they realise they were under fire, but he'll settle for anything he can get. If his HUD can keep track of multiple targets* he'll set it for tracking before he fires the first shot.

From the first to the third shot, he won't spend more than five seconds, less if he thinks he can make the shots faster**. At that range, it should be easy enough to hit man-sized targets with a shotgun and any longer might give them too much time to locate the window he's firing from and start to shoot back.

After his shots, he'll roll away from line of sight and leave the room as well protected by cover as he can. He'll then look for a favourable OP to cover the East end of the compound. He hopes that orbital strikes might hit during his extraction, covering him and causing further confusion among the attackers.

*Like targeting systems for Land Warrior equivalents being proposed today can do.
**I don't know ForeSight aiming rules well enough, but given that it's easier to shoot when no one is shooting back yet, three rapid shots at man-sized targets at <50 yds with a police shotgun should be doable in as many seconds.
__________________
Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Last edited by Icelander; 11-05-2007 at 08:03 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:46 AM   #358
zorg
Experimental Subject
 
zorg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: saarbrücken, germany
Default Re: Ishikawa on the blower to Upstairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg
Lethe (also by voice, all phone pickups off)
Let's get Von Bork someplace safe. If there is such a place.
If Lethe should encounter any hostiles while carrying VVB, he'll try to shield her with his body, return fire without dropping her and get cover.
__________________
Like a mail order mogwai...but nerdier - Nymdok
understanding is a three-edged sword
zorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:00 PM   #359
Icelander
 
Icelander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Iceland*
Default Thórrson gives fire orders

Regardless of the results of his fire, Thórrson moves on after his three shots.

While waiting to have clean shots, Thórrson finds himself thinking about the incoming orbital fire. He's never seen fire from the sky outside of movies and he wonders what it will look like. Will he hear it before it hits or will the impacts come before the sonic booms? How much are they going to fire? Enough to decimate the revolutionaries or enough to glass the grounds and the two building wings empty of friendlies? He wonder if the fire gets Brown? He'd love to talk to him, see how deep into the Sons of Patrick Henry the rot goes, but on the other hand, Brown loose on Cockaigne was a disaster waiting to happen.

Tapping his tracee to set up a channel, he reflects that he doesn't know the first thing about directing orbital fire. Not something they teach cops, he figures. On the other hand, unless he misses his guess, Special Agent Lethe should have forgotten more about tasking Naval interventions than Thórrson ever wants to learn.

Thórrson (over 'tracee)
Special Agent Lethe, take the S-phone from Special Agent Ishikawa and direct orbital fire on the opposing force. I'll leave the dispositions up to you, but tell the Old Man not to be stingy on the destructive force. Just make sure they've got our locations and they can glass everything else. Danger close.

And if you lot out there are listening in, send my regards to whatever it is you worship. It didn't have to be this way, but since you had to start it, we'll end it.

Inspector Thórrson out.
Gripping the stock of his police model autoslicer, Thórrson grits his teeth for the battle to come. Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more. Let's kill each other over something neither of us could define. The hell of it is, it's the right thing to do.
__________________
Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:42 AM   #360
Icelander
 
Icelander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Iceland*
Default Thórrson's battle

After giving his orders, Thórrson consciously makes an effort not to worry about their results, to trust his team mates to perform their jobs as he will do his. He focuses on his HUD display as he tracks the running forms of the suspects, making their way from cover to cover in alternating pairs, one covering while the other runs. If Thórrson had been disposed to notice anything other than his targets, he might have seen a bright star rising in the sky, but his attention is fixed on his task. His mouth is dry and he wishes he had thought to get some mints, but there's no time for it now.

There! It's the natural response of humans to anxiety and fear to seek closeness with others. That's fine for hunter-gatherers, but it's a stupid move in firefights and Thórrson can now see three suspects close by in his field of vision, one almost at his next cover, one running flat out and one rising from cover. He adds the last one to his auto-tracking software as he aims for belly of the first one. He almost tries to swallow, but remembers not to as he holds his breath and summons up the long-forgotten rules of the firing range. Hold her steady with your elbows touching the ground, don't breathe and don't yank the trigger. Softly, like you do when you're not sure if she'll give a sweet little sigh promising pleasures to come or slap you away.GURPS rules, since I don't know ForeSight. Skill 13 (30 yds for a -7, +4 for max aiming, braced and AoA; +4 for Acc, +3 for HUD w/pointer and +2 for RoF = To hit chance 19-) Roll is 13, 7 pellets hit. Damage rolls 2d+2(2) pi- (11, 6, 9, 13, 10, 12 and 7). Assume TL 10 soft body armour, DR 15. All except two penetrate, the next to last to penetrate hits vitals and the pellets inflict a total of 12 HP of damage. Secondary damage is 1d+2 per pellet (7, 4, 4, 8(x3), 7) Total damage is 58 HP, 2 major wounds to torso and one to vitals. HT check for consciousness fails with a 14 (assuming less HT than that).
Crack! The man snaps back in a red mist, at least four holes in his torso. Thórrson doesn't have time to reflect whether he's killed a man or not, as he takes a quick breath and moves his weapon in line with target number two. The suspects hear the supersonic crack and some have the presence of mind to dive, but not this one, thankfully. No time to aim carefully, just line up the HUD display with the moving target and squeeze.IQ roll 14, fails, still suprised. Shot (Skill 13. Range -7, AoA +1, Acc +4, HUD +3, RoF +2 = To hit 16-) Roll is 12, five pellets hit. Dodge is ineffective, target is still partially surprised. Dam (6,11,13,8,4). Two penetrate, one hits vitals (1/6 chance), total kinetic damage is 16. Secondary damage (7, 3(x3)) total of 16. Total damage 32 and major wound to vitals. HT check for consciousness succeeds at 10, knockdown check at -5 fails at 13 (assuming HT 12-) and results in unconciousness.
Crack! hiss. A tiny, expanding hive of nine hyperdense slivers cuts the air with their characteristic whine that always reminds Thórrson of construction work. Another man falls with a couple of muffled explosions inside his torso, too low to hear with the unaided ear at this distance, but visible in puffs of blood drifting from where his chest meets his shoulder. Thórrson swears under his breath as he sees the third target dive into a flowerbed. No time to change plans, no time to do anything but try to shoot for those parts of him still visible. Dimly, Thórrson notices the sound of hypersonic slivers from rifles, an even more high-pitched whine than his sliver shotgun, almost as shrill as his ex-wife when she still cared enough to yell at him. 'They're shooting at me' he wonders irrationally, almost angry with them for it. He forces himself to ignore the distraction, hoping that it takes them more than a second or two to find out which window he's firing from.Per check for those not taking cover, roll is 14. Presumed failure, range penalty -7, flash and noise bonus at least +5, but presumed per less than 16. Suspects fire anyway, hoping to scare Thórrson. Will check + Fearlessness + CR bonus (score 17), only -2 modifier since fire isn't close yet, roll 12.
Thórrson fires off his last round, not even staying to check on the results, but rolling fast away from the window as the fire starts to become more accurate. His mouth is now parched and metallic, with his heart racing madly. He hopes no one has a grenade launcher, as he doubts he'll make it to the door in time if they do.
Thórrson's shot (Skill 13 - 7 Range - 4 prone and semi-cover + 4 Acc +3 HUD +2 RoF = to hit 11 or less). Roll is 10, two pellets hit. Dodge 8 is at -4 for being prone, +2 AoD, total 6-. Roll is 12, failed. Damage is (7,11), one penetration for a total of 1 HP kinetic. Secondary damage is 1d+2 (8). Total HP 9, major wound. HT check fails with a 14, stunned.
Two suspects have a chance to notice the window at Per-1 roll. Assume score 11. Rolls 12 and 6. One does. Fires a burst without aiming at window. Skill 12, distance -7, RoF +3; to hit (the window) is 8 or less. Roll is 10. Hits wall and next window.

Glass rains over Thórrson as the window next to his shatters and he scrambles behind the nearest hard cover he can find as he makes his way out of the room. With a speed that he knows he'll regret if he lives to see tomorrow, he leaves von Bork's room behind and stands up in the hallway as he inquires his HUD where he should head next. Lethe's schematics come in handy as he makes for the eastern part of the house, looking for the next place to use as a firing post. To quiten his rasping breath and force himself to think of something else, he reaches for a mint. 'Bugger fresh underwear at my age, since a kiss is the most I can hope for from a pretty nurse, I'll settle for fresh breath' he wryly reflects, but the humour feels forced to him. 'Save bravado for those who don't know better than to be impressed', he tells himself. There's too damn many of them for stale jokes.
__________________
Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Last edited by Icelander; 11-15-2007 at 08:27 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
actual play, custom setting, flat black, mysteries

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.