Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-17-2021, 03:32 PM   #11
Donny Brook

Default Re: Will Roll = Action?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Strange thing about that is the way it's phrased...

This might be taken to imply that you could normally combine Mighty Blows with other forms of All-Out Attack (ie Determined for +4 to hit, Double, or Long)

But that doesn't appear to be the case, since B357 specified only "attack maneuver" and M131 emphasized "it doesn’t work with All-Out Attack, Committed Attack, Defensive Attack, or Move and Attack"

So while I initially thought something like "I can take AOA Determined for +4 to hit, then Mighty Blows for +2 damage", this not only was untrue initially, but I don't think you could do this even with the Focused Fury perk, because it seems like AOA:strong would be the ONLY form of AOA you would be allowed to use Mighty Blows with?

Clearer phrasing I think be something like "unlime most fighters, you can combine mighty blows with a maneuver other than Attack, but only with All-Out Attack: Strong"
It seems like Mighty Blows IS AoA (Strong), but with FP cost to permit defenses.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 02:30 PM   #12
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
This is why you steal Technical Grappling's use of "attack your weapon with Retain Weapon technique to establish grip CP" in lieu of a Ready :)
with respect to, um, myself ... this is one of the worst mechanics in the book. Never do this. It should perish in flames.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 03:35 PM   #13
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetrikpony View Post
Does making an active Will Roll require a ready or concentrate maneuver or is it a free action?
Not much help from RAW that hasn't already been mentioned.

Otherwise, unless the rules specifically list it as one way or the other, it's GM's option.

My rule of thumb is that any Active use of Will (e.g., to activate a power or gadget) requires a Concentrate maneuver. Passive Will rolls are a free action.

Ready maneuvers for Will are unlikely unless you're specifically using Will to mentally manipulate some physical gadget (e.g., drawing a gun using just TK power).

For example, you typically need to Concentrate if you want to make a Will roll to activate a psi power or use a magic item which requires active concentration. OTOH, you don't need to concentrate to make a Will roll to resist a psi power or magic spell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetrikpony View Post
More specifically; does the Will Roll for Extra Effort require any time?
I'd say no, unless you're consciously using some sort of skill or power to boost either your Will or the amount of Extra Effort you can exert.

My logic is that when performing physical feats in a hurry you aren't actually concentrating on boosting your abilities so much as as instinctively "powering through" your normal physical or mental blocks. ("Ignore the pain & get this door open NOW!")

Based on that logic, it makes perfect sense for a Berserk character to make Will rolls as needed for Extra Effort, as long as doing so lets them kill the enemy more effectively.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 04:08 PM   #14
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
It seems like Mighty Blows IS AoA (Strong), but with FP cost to permit defenses.
Nope, if you took an AOA you get 1/2 move (full on a slam) but an attack maneuver w/ Mighty Blows gives you the standard 1 step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
My rule of thumb is that any Active use of Will (e.g., to activate a power or gadget) requires a Concentrate maneuver. Passive Will rolls are a free action.
Perhaps, unless otherwise indicated, like if you took "reduced time" or stuff like Mind Shield which is an active use to raise it (not sure about lowering: but that's still a conscious choice, not passive) where it's a free action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
with respect to, um, myself ... this is one of the worst mechanics in the book. Never do this. It should perish in flames.
Love it too much to bleach those underpants, love the idea of degrees of grippiness instead of all-or-nothing.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berserk, extra effort, maneuvers, will roll