Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 08-06-2021, 12:43 PM   #1
Helborn

Default Fine Shields

I tried every which way to search the TFT forums but got 0 results for this. If I missed it somewhere, please direct to existing discussion.

It appears that Master Armorers can make Fine Plate only. What about Fine Shields? Perhaps they weigh less; perhaps they subtract one more point of damage; perhaps both? What about silver shields?

One of my players asked about this and I can find no mention anywhere - nor any discussion of the idea. Thoughts?

This is not about a House Rule - I can do that easily enough - I'm asking if there has been a consideration of this for addition to the existing Rules.
Old 08-06-2021, 04:19 PM   #2
Shostak

Default Re: Fine Shields

I'd say no to fine shields. If you make them lighter, they'd just break sooner. They don't seem like the kind of thing that needs to be tailor-made to be easier to hold (lower DX penalty) or that could be configured to deflect more damage without adding more weight, and thus effectively becoming the next-larger larger shield.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:59 PM   #3
timm meyers

Great question! Never crossed my mind. I tried looking up an answer and I think you are correct. The rules imply through omission that no other armor except plate can be improved by armorer skills.
I guess on Cidri that chainmail and shields must be enchanted to improve as they are already at peak design for performance.
It does seem logical that unlike bulky generic plate your typical leather vambrace or quilted smock could not improve greatly no matter how well fitted it becomes. I do however like the idea of the master craftsman making "just the right" changes or quality that my heroes can get a +1 hit or DX out of their coveted chainmail or shield.
timm meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 11:04 AM   #4
Skarg

As Shostak mentioned, no, there are no fine shields in TFT as written - the hits stopped are based on size, so at most a fine shield would weigh less or be more durable (if using that optional rule about damage to shields).

Stacking armor effects can get very effective, so even adding "just another hit stopped" with a new rule can make the existing options even more stackable, so one might want to be cautious about adding a fine shield option.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 11:43 AM   #5
hcobb

You can already stop 15 hits for -1 DX with +5 expert small shield and +5 water armor, so how much more do you need?
Old 08-08-2021, 09:02 PM   #6
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
You can already stop 15 hits for -1 DX with +5 expert small shield and +5 water armor, so how much more do you need?
What is water armor?
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 05:35 AM   #7
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
What is water armor?
ITL 98: it is called “water armor.”
Old 08-10-2021, 08:27 AM   #8
Terquem

The "fluff" written about "water armor," makes it highly unlikely to be anything other than a MacGuffin
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:05 AM   #9
Skarg

Yes. (Though I get the feeling that makes it even more likely that Henry will post about it in threads about much more basic questions.)
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 05:01 PM   #10
JimmyPlenty

If you played with durability rules, they could be more durable I guess.

Also, as in Hexagram #4 article Not by Iron Alone you could say that only a master armorer could make something out of the rarer materials.
JimmyPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote