Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 10-18-2021, 01:32 AM   #11
beetle496

Default Re: Player Record Sheets are the Bomb!

I did realize that the Player Record Sheets are a tease for the expansions. I don’t feel like that is a nice way to treat customers, and half of the reason for my disappointment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
Consumer: Hey, where are these cards from? I don't have those.
SJG: Those are from an expansion.
Consumer: Hey, I need to buy those expansions.
SJG: Thank$
Consumer: Wait, what? I paid $150 for this game, and as the developer, you do not think it is complete?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatDeath View Post
Regarding interesting vehicle types doable with the Core set, right off the top of my head…
That is very good, and the reason for the other half of my disappointment. The Player Record Sheets could have been used to vividly illustrate this aspect of the game. It is a missed opportunity.

I will reiterate that the Player Record Sheets are a very nice way to introduce players to the game. I was not expecting them, so it is like getting something beautiful and functional for free!
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 01:45 AM   #12
beetle496

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle496 View Post
Is there a reason why (for example) Hammer should not fight Goblin?
Okay, I figured this out. Hammer is from the Blue/Green Two-Player Starter Set and Goblin from Red/Yellow. I have not checked, but presumably, that is the pattern for the other five sheets.

FWIW, buying the two-player sets separately I think makes more sense than buying the Core Set. For ten dollars more, one gets twice as many of these sweet PRS (plus the extra dice).
Old 10-18-2021, 02:31 AM   #13
HeatDeath

Quote:
Consumer: Wait, what? I paid $150 for this game, and as the developer, you do not think it is complete?
Have you /seen/ how expansive the the old Car Wars line was in its heyday?

It will *never* be complete. BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
HeatDeath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:20 AM   #14
kjamma4

Quote:
Homework assignment - find the cost of EVERYTHING produced for CW and adjust the cost at the time of publication to 2021 dollars.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:39 AM   #15
beetle496

I agree with you about the card sets being a good value. That there are expansions is very much a good thing. I disagree with the choice to use the PRS as advertisements at the cost of making them less of teaching aid.

Quote:
Yes, and (except for AQ) I have most of them! There were a few Road Atlases that I never picked up. I did not subscribe to Autoduel Quarterly. (How many titles is that? 100+ ?) I was only able to get some of the 5th edition books, which was really too bad because, after my initial skepticism, I decided that I really liked the approach. I ended up purchasing pairs of the books whenever I found them, but they went out of print so fast!

Last edited by beetle496; 10-18-2021 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:28 AM   #16
NEgativeZer0

Quote:
at the cost of making them less of teaching aid.
Not trying to pick a fight but trying to understand your logic

How does this harm their function as a teaching aid?

1 - If I'm teaching a new person car wars I am not explaining the car building process. AKA - They will never know these came from an expansion

2 - The expansion components are not any more (or less) complicated to use in game compared to components in the core box

3 - All the info you need for these expansion cards are on the play mat. AKA you do not need to won the expansion to understand and use them

So how does this in anyway make it less effective?
I only see it as getting free access to a few extra cards that you wouldn't have otherwise but maybe you see an issue I don't.

My only complaint was that they weren't printed 10 point on 1 side and 25 point on the other side so you can have 6 cars all using the mats simultaneously.
NEgativeZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:48 AM   #17
beetle496

I appreciate the cordial conversation @NEgativeZer0. It would not have occurred to me that you might be trying to pick a fight!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEgativeZer0 View Post
How does this harm their function as a teaching aid?
It does not harm their immediate function as a teaching aid.
Quote:
If I'm teaching a new person car wars I am not explaining the car building process. AKA - They will never know these came from an expansion.
Agreed, and if they never buy the game, they might never know that certain weapons/accessories came from an expansion.
Quote:
The expansion components are not any more (or less) complicated to use in game compared to components in the core box.
Agreed, and now that I am sorting the cards out for myself, I am really appreciating the themes. I also find the progressions very logical and balanced, so not nearly as intimidating as upon my first impression. But this very nice design aspect is not particular to the PRS.
Quote:
All the info you need for these expansion cards are on the play mat. AKA you do not need to won the expansion to understand and use them
Agreed, but that is not one of my two complaints with the choices made for the approach taken.
Quote:
So how does this in anyway make it less effective?
It is only a missed opportunity, and then only for those who (1) purchase one of the basic core game sets, and (2) are new to the game. Anyone who has the Double Ace set (that’s all of us on this forum) is not particularly disadvantaged by the PRS using non-core cards.
Quote:
…maybe you see an issue I don't.
I see two issues:
  1. The PRS could have illustrated building examples using only the core cards. As @HeatDeath points out, there are some interesting possibilities for theming, even with only the core set, and it would have been instructive for the PRS to be a more practical example of this. Such examples would have been particularly helpful for someone who bought the game without having an experienced friend to ask questions to. (Maybe they saw the game at a convention, and got hooked?) As it is, the first time this customer goes to build a car from scratch, should they reference the PRS, they might think they are missing cards or otherwise be confused. If this customer happens to build a car without looking closely at the PRS, they will be fine, and the PRS will have served its role a bridging tool.
  2. If this customer figures out that the PRS are soft-selling the expansions, they might (understandably, I would argue) have some resentment about that. Why risk this (small) chance of ire with a AAA product?

Last edited by beetle496; 10-18-2021 at 11:17 AM. Reason: better grammar
Old 10-18-2021, 01:16 PM   #18
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
Homework assignment - find the cost of EVERYTHING produced for CW and adjust the cost at the time of publication to 2021 dollars.
Already done -- Games Workshop called it "_Dark Future_".... ;)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 10:48 AM   #19
Magesmiley

Quote:
Okay, I figured this out. Hammer is from the Blue/Green Two-Player Starter Set and Goblin from Red/Yellow. I have not checked, but presumably, that is the pattern for the other five sheets.

FWIW, buying the two-player sets separately I think makes more sense than buying the Core Set. For ten dollars more, one gets twice as many of these sweet PRS (plus the extra dice).
Not 100% correct. Two of the cars on the red sheets are from the other pack. (I didn't check the blues).

Also... FWIW, my rules packs add-ons had the vehicle sheets in them too.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 12:34 PM   #20
JimTullis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
Also... FWIW, my rules packs add-ons had the vehicle sheets in them too.
Did your Rules Packs add-ons also have Wreck Tokens? I don't think they were originally planned to be in the Rules Packs of the Core Box.
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote