Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-14-2021, 11:09 PM   #1
Helektar

Default Activating switchable free action abilities

So, I was building Morph character with cosmic modular abilities (some sort of ideal infiltrator), and then found some problems about activating my abilities in fights.

I have 4 levels of reduced time on my Shapeshifting (enough to change forms with a free action), and, if i get it right, same with my Modular Abilities (Cosmic). So that's the problem:

1) I want to switch my forms twice or more on my turn (for example, starting as human, then turn into strong monster with talons, make an attack, and then turn into form with high DR right after striking). But i checked Powers (p. 154), which specifies, that i can reactivate abilities like my Shapeshifting only at the start of my turn. Do i get it right? And if so, how much should cost enhancement, which let me change forms at any moment of my turn (for example, after i finish my maneuver).

2) Same with my Modular Abilities. Same rule tells (P154), that Wild Talent can be activated for parrying an attack. And it feels quite similar to Modular Abilities. However, i'm not sure about it. Can i rearrange my points for skills at any time (even if it's not my turn now), or no? And, once again, if I can't, i want to do it, so how much this possibility should cost as enhancement?

Sorry, if i have bad grammar. English isn't my native language.
Helektar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 12:13 AM   #2
Taneli

Default Re: Activating switchable free action abilities

To be frank, that sounds like a really powerful ability, in essence you can shift your whole point budget towards the best case scenario at all times (towards attack abilities when you attack, and towards defensive abilities when it's time to defend, for instance).

As such, I would probably call it a +300% Cosmic: Reactive Change at a first glance.

OTOH, some part of this you could get simply by getting Altered Time Rate 1, and then on your first maneuver changing into an attack form, doing your attack or all-out-attack, and then on your second maneuver, changing into a defensive form, and then doing some sort of defensive maneuver.

But this would not allow you to morph into a different defensive form if you suddenly got attacked by something that would really call for the second defensive form...
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 01:35 AM   #3
Helektar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taneli View Post
As such, I would probably call it a +300% Cosmic: Reactive Change at a first glance.

OTOH, some part of this you could get simply by getting Altered Time Rate 1...
I agree, it's very powerful. But for Morph, which already costs 100 points 300% enhancement really hurts. I can literally buy 3 lvls of Altered Time Rate at this point. Anyway, thank you for advice.

Actually, i need to specify something. I need this enhancement for Morph only on my turn. If i need to Morph defensively, i'd rather use "Power dodge" (P167) or something like that.

UPD. About enemies turn i just trying to figure out, how exactly will work modular abilities (cosmic)

Last edited by Helektar; 10-15-2021 at 01:38 AM.
Old 10-15-2021, 01:54 AM   #4
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helektar View Post
1) I want to switch my forms twice or more on my turn (for example, starting as human, then turn into strong monster with talons, make an attack, and then turn into form with high DR right after striking). But i checked Powers (p. 154), which specifies, that i can reactivate abilities like my Shapeshifting only at the start of my turn. Do i get it right? And if so, how much should cost enhancement, which let me change forms at any moment of my turn (for example, after i finish my maneuver).
Correct, you can only do it once per turn. Shapeshifting requires a Concentrate Maneuver (Powers, pg 154), though it is classified as a Physical Ability. To do it multiple times in a turn you'd need Altered Time Rate. You could still only do it once, even with Compartmentalized Mind as it's a Physical Advantage, not Mental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Characters, pg 43
This advantage does not allow your body to perform more than one task.
Emphasis from book.

Quote:
2) Same with my Modular Abilities. Same rule tells (P154), that Wild Talent can be activated for parrying an attack. And it feels quite similar to Modular Abilities. However, i'm not sure about it. Can i rearrange my points for skills at any time (even if it's not my turn now), or no? And, once again, if I can't, i want to do it, so how much this possibility should cost as enhancement?
You can still only do it once a turn, on your action. Again, to do it multiple times a turn, you'd need ATR for an extra maneuver.

Wild Talent is a special case as it's a once-per-session advantage.

Quote:
Sorry, if i have bad grammar. English isn't my native language.
Don't even sweat about it.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:12 AM   #5
The Benj

One small note: 4 levels is only enough to get it down to 1 second-
Level 0: 10 seconds
Level 1: 5 seconds
Level 2: 3 seconds
Level 3: 2 seconds
Level 4: 1 second
Level 5: free action
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 09:26 AM   #6
RedMattis

Considering how expensive Morph is, the cheapest option is probably just to buy Alternate Time Rate (Only to use Morph).

I'd put the limitation at -50%. It is really useful, but not so useful that it compares to straight up getting an extra turn.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:07 AM   #7
Helektar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
Correct, you can only do it once per turn. Shapeshifting requires a Concentrate Maneuver (Powers, pg 154), though it is classified as a Physical Ability. To do it multiple times in a turn you'd need Altered Time Rate. You could still only do it once, even with Compartmentalized Mind as it's a Physical Advantage, not Mental.

You can still only do it once a turn, on your action. Again, to do it multiple times a turn, you'd need ATR for an extra maneuver.

Wild Talent is a special case as it's a once-per-session advantage...
Finally, some clarity for all this rules. Thank you very much.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:11 AM   #8
Helektar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMattis View Post
Considering how expensive Morph is, the cheapest option is probably just to buy Alternate Time Rate (Only to use Morph).

I'd put the limitation at -50%. It is really useful, but not so useful that it compares to straight up getting an extra turn.
And, that's it! Decision, I looked for. Thank you too. Now i know, how to manage my Shapeshifting.
Old 10-15-2021, 04:04 PM   #9
The Benj

As it does use Concentration, I would be fine for it to use Compartmentalised Mind.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 07:58 PM   #10
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
Correct, you can only do it once per turn.
To do it multiple times in a turn you'd need Altered Time Rate.
I vaguely remember you could buy Rapid-Fire to use Warp more than once per turn, and I think there might be a Kromm post about using it to inflict damage w/ Aura multiple times per second, so floating that to other stuff like "use my free action abilities multiple times per turn" probably wouldn't be too far off balance
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote