Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 10-23-2021, 09:06 PM   #21
Magesmiley

Default Re: Player Record Sheets are the Bomb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
Did your Rules Packs add-ons also have Wreck Tokens? I don't think they were originally planned to be in the Rules Packs of the Core Box.
The Rules Pack was the same as the thin white box in the Double Ace box. Part of why I raised the question about them in the KS comments.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 04:48 AM   #22
beetle496

I appreciate the modular arrangement of the components.

Presumably, the Rules Box is the same if (1) purchased separately, (2) Red/Yellow Starter Set, (3) Blue/Green Starter Set, (4) Core, or (5) DA. It is only the Rules Box that includes the Player Record Sheets. (So the Two-Player Starter Sets each come with six (double sided)).

I was a little surprised to see Miniatures Boxes A and B being sold separately. Because of the modularity, it is not difficult for SJG to make them available. But who would be in the market for these?

The only scenario I can think of is that, if one were buying from scratch and considering buying the DA set for $375, then (for about the same money), one might instead prefer the idea of buying two Red/Yellow Starter Sets (rather than the core game), and then two Miniatures Box A. That would facilitate 8-car mayhem, and each set of cars could have the same paint scheme. (Or each model gets the same paint scheme, for six teams of four cars each.)

Last edited by beetle496; 10-25-2021 at 04:51 AM.
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:41 AM   #23
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle496 View Post
I appreciate the modular arrangement of the components.

Presumably, the Rules Box is the same if (1) purchased separately, (2) Red/Yellow Starter Set, (3) Blue/Green Starter Set, (4) Core, or (5) DA. It is only the Rules Box that includes the Player Record Sheets. (So the Two-Player Starter Sets each come with six (double sided)).

I was a little surprised to see Miniatures Boxes A and B being sold separately. Because of the modularity, it is not difficult for SJG to make them available. But who would be in the market for these?

The only scenario I can think of is that, if one were buying from scratch and considering buying the DA set for $375, then (for about the same money), one might instead prefer the idea of buying two Red/Yellow Starter Sets (rather than the core game), and then two Miniatures Box A. That would facilitate 8-car mayhem, and each set of cars could have the same paint scheme. (Or each model gets the same paint scheme, for six teams of four cars each.)
I'm fairly sure that it was to provide a lower cost option for the game are on more limited budgets.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 11:03 AM   #24
beetle496

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
I'm fairly sure that it was to provide a lower cost option for the game are on more limited budgets.
Boy, is that me being dim! Two-Player Red/Yellow Starter set ($80 MSRP) plus Miniatures Box B ($60) is all the same pieces but $10 less than the Core Set ($150).
Old 11-15-2021, 04:26 PM   #25
beetle496

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEgativeZer0 View Post
Not trying to pick a fight but trying to understand your logic.
I appreciate you, and others, calling me out on this. My logic was flawed.
Quote:
They will never know these came from an expansion.
Moreover, that’s not just when using the PRS, as most owners of only the Core game are also unlikely to notice when they shift to building. I was projecting my own feelings.
Quote:
All the info you need for these expansion cards are on the play mat. AKA you do not need to won the expansion to understand and use them. So how does this in anyway make it less effective? I only see it as getting free access to a few extra cards that you wouldn't have otherwise…
I have come to appreciate the PRS as patching the cards included with DA. That utility is much more significant than my imagined missed opportunity to illustrate builds using only the Core set. The patterns @HeatDeath points out is the bigger picture, and the PRS fill that role well.

Last edited by beetle496; 11-15-2021 at 04:34 PM.