Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
ssveter

Default GURPS RCC (Ranged Combat Calculator)

A few weeks ago I started learning Visual Basic. As a personal project I built what I call the GURPS RCC. Before then I knew nothing about VB.
I posted it at this link

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6m...QyNTMzODRmOTIy

for anyone to download and give me some constructive criticism and advice on how I could improve it.
ssveter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
Philomath

Default Re: GURPS RCC (Ranged Combat Calculator)

A couple of suggestions:

* Display the total modifiers, not just the calculated effective skill (not necessary but nice).
Make the selection changes automatically calculate on every change.

* For mine (which is very similar) I made each section selectable via function key with each individual item within a section selectable via number key (so, using your layout, Move and Attack with a Laser Sight would be F1, 4 followed by F7, 1). This made the thing a whole lot more convenient to use at the table. Mine is layed out is differently so this might require some tweaking to fit yours.

* Finally, consider saving weapon stats so that 15 people each with their own unique firearm don't bog down using this (a couple of buttons and a list box in the Weapon Stats section would probably be easiest).

All in all, very nice and immensely useful to a new GM.
Unrelatedly, I am now recruiting new players.
Philomath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
ssveter

Thanks those are very useful suggestions.

I am in the very beginning stages of building a simplified version of "DM Genie" but for GURPS. One of these days I hope to have something that can import GCA character files into it and use the stats to calculate combat, skill challenges, and all.

Thats a long way off, but even building the Death Star started with a wrench and some bolts.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #4
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssveter View Post
Thanks those are very useful suggestions.

I am in the very beginning stages of building a simplified version of "DM Genie" but for GURPS. One of these days I hope to have something that can import GCA character files into it and use the stats to calculate combat, skill challenges, and all.

Thats a long way off, but even building the Death Star started with a wrench and some bolts.
Well, yeah, but that was a wrenched spine and bolts of lightning.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
ClayDowling

It's great that you're setting out to learn programming. I've been doing it professionally for a dozen years, and I started out self-taught as well. If I can give you some advice, pick up a good text on programming. This is the book that I would recommend: http://www.stroustrup.com/Programming/

It's for a different language, but it covers topics that you'll need to know. I learned from another of the author's books, and he's one of the best authors on the topic of computer programming that I've run across. The language he's using, C++, can be really intimidating, but the way the author teaches it the language is exceptionally approachable.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:26 AM   #6
Philomath

If you're open to more unasked for advice from another self-taught programmer, in addition to reading good books (and it's important to get advice on what the good ones are) read source code. Read as much of it as you can. Try to find out not only how the problem was solved but, eventually, why that particular method was chosen as the solution.
Unrelatedly, I am now recruiting new players.

Last edited by Philomath; 11-03-2011 at 06:02 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Philomath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:30 AM   #7
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

If my GSB project gets off the ground, I might be interested in cooperation for purposes of making GSB not just a spacemap, but a complete combat engine.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:38 AM   #8
ssveter

I am just learning VB. To say the least my skills are limited. What you see in the RCC is only what I have learned to do in about three weeks of self taught tinkering.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:44 AM   #9
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssveter View Post
I am just learning VB. To say the least my skills are limited. What you see in the RCC is only what I have learned to do in about three weeks of self taught tinkering.
Oh, there's also the issue of translating VB to C# (GSB is being written in C# for several reasons).
Old 11-04-2011, 02:06 PM   #10
ClayDowling

C# and VB.NET runtimes are compatible. If you just make your core features available as assemblies, you won't have any problem.

Tags
gurps 4e, ranged, ranged combat